News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Ray's not going to go into the TV Hall of Fame next to Breaking Bad, but it has its moments.

garbon

I just saw those photos of Daniel Craig and Adam Driver on set. I wish we could move on from Adam Driver.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I'm liking "The Last Ship". Got into it part way through the first season and really like it.

Now "The Strain" started up again this past Sunday, another show I like.

Also liking the "Mr Robot" show. I missed the first season though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on August 31, 2016, 12:40:33 PM
I'm liking "The Last Ship". Got into it part way through the first season and really like it.

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 31, 2016, 03:12:42 AM
It just hit me that Ray's main enforcer in Ray Donovan is Manny from Scarface.  :o

That show surely has a quality supporting cast. Edward James Olmos showing up as an Irish mobster was a highlight too. And Jon fucking Voight of course.
Should watch it because I really love Eddie Marsan. But I also feel life is too short for most shows :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2016, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 31, 2016, 03:12:42 AM
It just hit me that Ray's main enforcer in Ray Donovan is Manny from Scarface.  :o

That show surely has a quality supporting cast. Edward James Olmos showing up as an Irish mobster was a highlight too. And Jon fucking Voight of course.
Should watch it because I really love Eddie Marsan. But I also feel life is too short for most shows :blush:

Yeah, he's great in this. He had a compelling bit part in River and I'm just discovering him.

Sheilbh

He is excellent, as is Olivia Coleman, in Tyrannosaur which is a brilliant if fairly devastating film.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on August 29, 2016, 06:45:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2016, 04:44:54 PM
Last week's Mr. Robot

[spoiler]While it did what seems like some good setup, ultimately just a filler episode...[/spoiler]

Agreed. This season has been iffy overall

I'm inclined to agree.

init_5.fve - [spoiler]Basically a waste of an episode. Moved plot forward just a couple inches. There was also no need, apart from wanting to revel in their cleverness, to have us watch what actually happened in the prison. Big waste of 10 minutes for a show that is now moving at a snail's pace. Given that we knew they wouldn't let us see who was behind the door that Darlene was opening...I'm surprised they let us see who was in the SUV.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 31, 2016, 09:55:37 AM
In pretty unsurprising news, Netflix has just announced Season 2 of Stranger Things coming in 2017, complete with episode titles.

https://twitter.com/Stranger_Things/status/770961890985938944

It really feels like there is no real need. But then that's what we like to do with series and movies so...

Ed Anger

The Wolverine. Normally I don't watch comic book movies because I'm not a goddamn nerd, but there was nothing on TV. Passable. The Jap chick was hot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Yay, nothing on the horizon but more comic book movies, shitty reboots, franchise sequels.  Because we need another Magnificent Seven, Hollywood.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 09:09:34 PM
Yay, nothing on the horizon but more comic book movies, shitty reboots, franchise sequels.  Because we need another Magnificent Seven, Hollywood.

Fucking Assburger millinials.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2016, 09:11:43 PM

On Hollywood's pro side, they don't have the attention spans of gnats on meth, and since anything before 2006 is officially "boring", they've no knowledge of anything prior.
On the con side, if they can't watch it on their smart phones and take selfies, they're not interested.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 29, 2016, 09:34:54 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 22, 2016, 11:37:49 AM
I blame Ideologue.  Not him personally, but what he represents (i.e. the tron remake is not only acceptable, but great cinema).  We need to get back to the 70s and drive that whole mentality out, and the CGI horse it came in on.

Christ, you are an old person, aren't you?  At least CDM has the excuse of his life going incredibly wrong.  I mean, just look at his post.  Dude clearly does not even own a watch anymore.  90 minutes max?  Name me the last blockbuster that was 90 minutes and not named Gravity and I'll give you a fucking cookie.  Hell, find one under 120 and you'll still get a hug.

Anyway, I have not been tremendously interested in a remake of Ben-Hur, which is one of my favorite movies of the 50s.  (Also, your "I miss the 70s, movies should be about people talking in brown wood-paneled rooms about issues and feelings" attitude is a pretty straitjacketed way to approach a pretty diverse artform.  Are you sure you wouldn't prefer novels?)

Great to see you again Ide. :hug:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2016, 09:11:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 09:09:34 PM

Dunkirk
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".