And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Fast and Fabian IV: Delaware Drift

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2016, 09:31:15 AM
How do you make something so English in New York?

What do we need a show where George Washington is a modern day Japanese ninja cop in Tokyo?

There's already a Sherlock Holmes procedural set in contemporary New York. That show is decently successful and Fox is blatantly trying to ape the same formula. However Fox seems to forget that a show featuring Sherlock Holmes solving crimes makes sense, since, you know, that's what Holmes does. Graffiti artist, mystery solving King Arthur sounds just stupid.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 02, 2016, 12:52:36 PM

What do we need a show where George Washington is a modern day Japanese ninja cop in Tokyo?

There's already a Sherlock Holmes procedural set in contemporary New York. That show is decently successful and Fox is blatantly trying to ape the same formula. However Fox seems to forget that a show featuring Sherlock Holmes solving crimes makes sense, since, you know, that's what Holmes does. Graffiti artist, mystery solving King Arthur sounds just stupid.

Yeah when I heard it, I immediately thought of Lucy Liu's latest turn.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

will you stop giving them ideas??
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

So still watching The Night Of.

[spoiler]I gotta say, this last episode, which I am only half way through, is pushing my bounds of believability. The idea that his lawyer would make out with him in a prison cell, when she has to know there are cameras, is pretty ridiculous.

The idea that she would agree to smuggle drugs into him is just completely ridiculous.

[/spoiler]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2016, 01:54:58 PM
So still watching The Night Of.

[spoiler]I gotta say, this last episode, which I am only half way through, is pushing my bounds of believability. The idea that his lawyer would make out with him in a prison cell, when she has to know there are cameras, is pretty ridiculous.

The idea that she would agree to smuggle drugs into him is just completely ridiculous.

[/spoiler]
[/quote

Agreed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on August 29, 2016, 09:34:54 AM
Christ, you are an old person, aren't you?  At least CDM has the excuse of his life going incredibly wrong.  I mean, just look at his post.  Dude clearly does not even own a watch anymore.  90 minutes max?  Name me the last blockbuster that was 90 minutes and not named Gravity and I'll give you a fucking cookie.  Hell, find one under 120 and you'll still get a hug.

So you're saying that these plotless, leadenly written and acted blockbusters are also bloated and poorly edited?  Not impressed.  I'll keep the gray hair.

Quote(Also, your "I miss the 70s, movies should be about people talking in brown wood-paneled rooms about issues and feelings" attitude is a pretty straitjacketed way to approach a pretty diverse artform.  Are you sure you wouldn't prefer novels?)

I'm trying to think of a 70s movie that fits that formula and coming up blank.  The closest thing I can think of is the Winslow Boy which was late 90s.

I don't see novelistic as an insult.  The alternative Hollywood now seems to prefer - comic books - loses much and gains little other than spandex.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

There were a lot of great movies made in the seventies but it's a mistake to compare then with today's blockbusters. They had movies like The Towering Inferno, The Exorcist and Superman in that vein.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

PW absolutely agree.

Jaws, Star Wars, Rocky, American Graffiti, God father, Apoco Now, Serpico, Blazing Saddles, 10, were blockbusters in their own right. And I dare say better than the Assburger shit of today.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 03, 2016, 07:05:24 PM
I liked the Money Pit.

Enough about your thing with CdM, allright!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 03, 2016, 07:31:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 03, 2016, 07:05:24 PM
I liked the Money Pit.

Enough about your thing with CdM, allright!

Exsqueeze me, sir.  I am not a whore.  Much.

lustindarkness

To Kill a Mockingbird, it had been years since I watched. Still great.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom