News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yes. It's a European arthouse film that was shortlisted for the Queer Palm at Cannes :p

The Transfiguration.

American vampire film that pays a lot of loving nods to Martin, Nosferatu, Let the Right One In etc. In this case it's most imilar to Martin which is meant as a complete. Highly recommended.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2019, 03:49:01 PM
Yes. It's a European arthouse film that was shortlisted for the Queer Palm at Cannes :p

The Transfiguration.

American vampire film that pays a lot of loving nods to Martin, Nosferatu, Let the Right One In etc. In this case it's most imilar to Martin which is meant as a complete. Highly recommended.

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2019, 02:02:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2019, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2019, 12:49:50 AM
No

Ah. Is this a game of 20 questions?

Did he say something about Winnie the Pooh at some point? Did he suggest that Uigurs don't actually like concentration camps?

Says the man spreading false claims instead of performing a simple search.

I did no fucking such thing.

I did a search. That was all that turned up when I checked to see what Joaquin Phoenix had to do with China.  So I asked if that was it. How that is spreading false claims I have no idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2019, 01:57:10 AM
China allows a limited number of foreign films to be screened annually.

Ok so it had nothing to do with Joaquin Phoenix, so why was he having the last laugh? Ok. Whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2019, 07:24:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2019, 02:02:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2019, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2019, 12:49:50 AM
No

Ah. Is this a game of 20 questions?

Did he say something about Winnie the Pooh at some point? Did he suggest that Uigurs don't actually like concentration camps?

Says the man spreading false claims instead of performing a simple search.

I did no fucking such thing.

I did a search. That was all that turned up when I checked to see what Joaquin Phoenix had to do with China.  So I asked if that was it. How that is spreading false claims I have no idea.

Actually you did.

QuoteEdit: Is it because of his PETA stuff? Man they will ban you for the most bizarre shit.

Whereas a quick Google search showed commentary saying film unlikely to be released due to problematic themes involving an oppressive society.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2019, 07:25:35 AM

Ok so it had nothing to do with Joaquin Phoenix, so why was he having the last laugh? Ok. Whatever.

Have you become brain damaged?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2019, 07:40:46 AM

One of the two of you seemingly has, but it wouldn't seem to be him, since he has at least been coherent in this discussion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2019, 07:52:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2019, 07:40:46 AM

One of the two of you seemingly has, but it wouldn't seem to be him, since he has at least been coherent in this discussion.

No, he hasn't. Funk posted this:

QuoteLooks like Joaquin Phoenix is having the last laugh. Joker expected to become the highest grossing R-rated movie ever.

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/joker-box-office-profitable-superhero-movie-1203377839/

All without being released in the PRC.

To which Valmy asked why was it banned in China then edited his post to add his own hypothesis that it was because of Joaquin's PETA work and isn't weird what you can get banned for today.  Why exactly, he came up with his own China-bashing comments are something that only he knows.

Then once he finally realised it wasn't a China-Joaquin Phoenix beef, he posited another question about why Phoenix was having the last laugh if it wasn't directed at China.

None of that strikes me as particularly coherent but rather similar to how made up shit is propagated on social media.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2019, 08:13:18 AM
To which Valmy asked why was it banned in China then edited his post to add his own hypothesis that it was because of Joaquin's PETA work and isn't weird what you can get banned for today.  Why exactly, he came up with his own China-bashing comments are something that only he knows.

I did a google search to see what Joaquin Phoenix did to piss China off and the PETA stuff popped up and I asked if that was it. It was a question, I used a question mark. You are mis-characterizing this. I was just joking around with "China-bashing". It does seem a little weird they banned the Joker Movie but whatever. I am glad the studio did not change it around to try to pander to them.

QuoteThen once he finally realised it wasn't a China-Joaquin Phoenix beef, he posited another question about why Phoenix was having the last laugh if it wasn't directed at China.

None of that strikes me as particularly coherent but rather similar to how made up shit is propagated on social media.

How is it not coherent? Having the "last laugh" implies a beef. I mean China has had this thing with Brad Pitt because of the Seven Years in Tibet thing for awhile so it was not like a China beef with an actor is impossible. So I was just wondering what the beef was.

How is asking a question about a post "spreading propaganda"? I was just curious. Should I not ask questions about posts I don't understand or am curious about?

Malthus

I know it will not be of much interest to the audience here, but I though I'd give a shout-out to the animated series Hilda, on Netflix.

I'm watching it with my kid, and I think it is great - very wholesome adventures that are both clever and have tons of heart. Plus I really like the animation style - simple yet eye-pleasing.

This show is genuinely all-ages suitable, though very frightening in places for younger kids. None of the truly gruesome imagery or upsetting or questionable situations you get in, say, Star v. the Forces of Evil (which is aimed at an older audience)

Adults can watch and enjoy it, though.

It's an interesting contrast to the animated series Disenchanted, also on Netflix. The latter is definitely aimed at adults only (much of the humour comes from sex, drinking and drugging jokes; gruesome imagery abounds) - I don't watch this one with the kid. The animation is far more complex. I enjoy it well enough, but I think Hilda, although a children's series, is more clever and complex in plot and themes.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2019, 08:31:51 AM
I know it will not be of much interest to the audience here, but I though I'd give a shout-out to the animated series Hilda, on Netflix.

Hilda was delightful.

You caused me to google it - apparently there will be a season 2 in 2020.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

The only tv show my daughter watches is Puffin Rock.  It's quite a good show for 3-5 year olds, and as a bonus it's narrated by Chris O'Dowd from IT Crowd.

Syt

I don't recall what it was called, but there was a British animated show for kids that age narrated by the voice actor of Patches from the Dark Souls games.  :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2019, 09:50:28 AM

Hilda was delightful.

You caused me to google it - apparently there will be a season 2 in 2020.

That's great news. It really is a wonderful show.

Set in one of the more bizarre worlds of animation, definitely.  Scandinavian folks would get a big kick out of it I think.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

The Brain mode: T & A?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011