News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

probably the conquest. the dance of dragons has way too many dragons. the CGI costs would be insane.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

My understanding is that they've already gotten a lot of the groundwork done for the CGI dragons, though, so wouldn't be spending near as much to animate so many.

Of course, animating only a trio of dragons again (for the Conquest) would be even cheaper.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 09:08:31 PM
Damn.  Weeds.  Marie Louise Parker is even hotter than I remember.

The door opens and in walks Albert Fucking Brooks.  Good episode.  Good dialogue.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2019, 01:33:07 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 09:08:31 PM
Damn.  Weeds.  Marie Louise Parker is even hotter than I remember.

The door opens and in walks Albert Fucking Brooks.  Good episode.  Good dialogue.

Sounds uncomfortable.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Started on Babylon Berlin. Fine so far. The chick is hot. [spoiler]Two episodes in and I hope they make a running joke of the main guy losing his gun every episode. Guy just can't be trusted with a firearm.[/spoiler] I'm also currently reading the Call of Cthulhu campaign module Berlin: The Wicked City, so it's nicely thematic and shit.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2019, 01:50:32 PM
Started on Babylon Berlin. Fine so far. The chick is hot. [spoiler]Two episodes in and I hope they make a running joke of the main guy losing his gun every episode. Guy just can't be trusted with a firearm.[/spoiler] I'm also currently reading the Call of Cthulhu campaign module Berlin: The Wicked City, so it's nicely thematic and shit.

I'm considering watching that series. Looks interesting.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

It's a very good series and I look forward to the next season. I may even pick up the novels at some point as they seem to be getting translated at a reasonable pace.

I was hoping that [spoiler]the "villains" would win, though[/spoiler].  :mad:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

I hope they do a TV series based on Philip Kerr's "Berlin Noir" series.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2019, 01:50:32 PM

[spoiler]Another episode, he loses the gun again. Sweet![/spoiler]

KRonn

Watched the first two episodes of Carnival Row on Amazon. So far I like it. An interesting mix of humanoid and other beings in kind of an early industrial England/Fantasy world.

Admiral Yi

Currently in the middle of The King, about Henry V.  Nice production values, but I don't see what this rendition adds, except for a band's worth of pretty boys poncing around in armor.

Berkut

Jojo Rabbit.

Trying to tell a kind of coming of age story during the last year of the Third Reich in a funny, and yet meaningful way is something that seems like it is nearly impossible to pull off. You either have to go full on fantasy ala Inglorious Bastards, or you have to take it really seriously....right?

It manages to make it work, much more often than it does not. It has moments that miss, but many more that do not. Overall is a pretty damn good movie, and definitely something different.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2019, 07:40:09 PM
Currently in the middle of The King, about Henry V.  Nice production values, but I don't see what this rendition adds, except for a band's worth of pretty boys poncing around in armor.

Saw that yesterday. I think the point was to tell the story of Shakespeare's play without the difficulties of Shakespearean language. Because otherwise I don't see the point of keeping Shakespeare's inventions (the Dauphin's death, Falstaff) in the movie.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

The Dauphin's death fell completely flat for me (pardon the pun) and seemed...weird in the context of the film.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on November 03, 2019, 09:30:24 PM
The Dauphin's death fell completely flat for me (pardon the pun) and seemed...weird in the context of the film.

Yep. He was a mix between good old francophobia (cruelty + effiminacy + ridiculous incompetence) and a form of villain from an 80s action movie. It channeled a very similar vibe as, say, the Duc of Anjou (played by Vincent Cassel) in the Elizabeth movie.

It's interesting: I think the success of Game of Thrones should have conveyed the sense that audiences can enjoy involved and sophisticated historical political drama. Instead, we got a somewhat cliché story of royal hubris.
Que le grand cric me croque !