News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2019, 07:40:09 PM
Currently in the middle of The King, about Henry V.  Nice production values, but I don't see what this rendition adds, except for a band's worth of pretty boys poncing around in armor.

Gah, completely fucking up Agincourt. :bleeding:

And that speech!  "England is the space between you!!!" :bleeding: :bleeding:

Admiral Yi

That's too painful.  I'm skipping the battle.

celedhring

Watchmen episode 3. Pleasantly confounding  :P This seemed the episode most similar to the comic, the "joke" Jean Smart's character tells throughout the episode felt very Alan Moore-ish.

Also, just to make sure, is her character supposed to be the [spoiler]second silk spectre[/spoiler]? The fact she carries the Blake surname threw me off a bit.

celedhring

Also... His Dark Materials show seems... okay I guess? It went a bit through the motions in the first episode, and although I didn't really find anything displeasing, I wasn't impressed by much either. it kinda felt like a Harry Potter film without magicians in it. Mrs Coulter seems nailed on, though, which is a big plus.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2019, 02:19:01 AM

The battle was very pretty, but also very poorly handled. It's not even like they didn't have the budget to properly show it. It just seemed like they didn't want to? English line goes in, French line goes in, first volley loosed, second French line goes in, second volley loosed...and then just a massive, muddy scrum that doesn't show at all why the English won?

Sigh. Here's to waiting another 20 years for a proper representation.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on November 04, 2019, 11:24:10 AM

The battle was very pretty, but also very poorly handled. It's not even like they didn't have the budget to properly show it. It just seemed like they didn't want to? English line goes in, French line goes in, first volley loosed, second French line goes in, second volley loosed...and then just a massive, muddy scrum that doesn't show at all why the English won?

Very rarely do movies or TV shows make any attempt to show medieval battles with any sort of realism. I think they believe audiences expect a random melee, and will be bored or disappointed by realism.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

And so many fire arrows lighting up the battle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2019, 11:31:45 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 04, 2019, 11:24:10 AM

Very rarely do movies or TV shows make any attempt to show medieval battles with any sort of realism. I think they believe audiences expect a random melee, and will be bored or disappointed by realism.

Oh, I totally understand the realities of trying to depict it and worrying over whether the audience will like it. But this is an historical epic/Shakespearean adaptation. If anything, you have the audience that wants realism, or at least wants lip-service to it. They even spend a scene talking about the battle strategy! How hard would it have been--with the budget they clearly possessed--to just stick to that script instead of showcasing what looked to be just the English getting lucky?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on November 04, 2019, 12:04:09 PM
Oh, I totally understand the realities of trying to depict it and worrying over whether the audience will like it. But this is an historical epic/Shakespearean adaptation. If anything, you have the audience that wants realism, or at least wants lip-service to it. They even spend a scene talking about the battle strategy! How hard would it have been--with the budget they clearly possessed--to just stick to that script instead of showcasing what looked to be just the English getting lucky?

I agree - I'd like to see more realism. It just doesn't seem to happen much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Not sure realism is what Shakespeare was going for though.

Habbaku

Of course not, but the film isn't even a direct adaptation of the Shakespearean work. Since they're heavily departing from the "source" material, they lose nothing by going even further.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2019, 06:42:11 AM
Watchmen episode 3. Pleasantly confounding  :P This seemed the episode most similar to the comic, the "joke" Jean Smart's character tells throughout the episode felt very Alan Moore-ish.

Also, just to make sure, is her character supposed to be the [spoiler]second silk spectre[/spoiler]? The fact she carries the Blake surname threw me off a bit.

That's her dad's name after all. According to Peteypedia she had it changed to Blake.

celedhring

Ah, wasn't aware of this "Peteypedia" thingie.

Zoupa

Kind of a companion website to the show. Pretty cool.

Zoupa

Btw Pete is the FBI kid that works the projector.