Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 26, 2019, 12:33:24 PM
"Daybreak" on Netflix.

I'm enjoying it.

I will say though...for a show that likely thinks it is hip, edgy, ironic and progressive and all that...the level of product placement is off the charts.

Sheilbh

Is that part of the irony?
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Josquius

Daybreak seems OK. Watched the first episode. Sort of Ferris Bueller meets The Warriors by way of The Walking Dead
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Can you count, suckas? Suckas? Suckas?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Suspiria. Watched the new one and then re-watched the original.

The original is one of my favourite giallo films and I really like Guadagnino's other films so I had a lot of hope about this "inspired by" remake.

It's interesting and there's a really good film in there. But I think there's maybe a little too much weight being carried by a film that is, basically, about a coven. Which means there's a lot of shifts in tone which can be a bit weird and there's a slower, longer film about post-war Germany that means I think bits of it are a bit of a drag.

I also think it's interesting to take one of Argento's brightest and most garish films and then choose a very cold, drained set of colours. It makes the odd vibrant flashes of red stand out more. Some really good moments, but I sort of feel disappointed and that it was a bit of a waste given the talent involved :(

The Souvenir. Really excellent film that is, I understand, fairly autobiographical by Joanna Hogg. Young woman film-maker going through college and starts a kind-of poisonous relationship. She falls in with a guy who's got this self-consciously old-school look and manner and charm. But the stuff that is maybe initially mysterious ends up just being damaging secrets. All with the background of her fractured, repressed family.

As with Archpalego it's all very posh, but all very true.

Adding this to my list of films and books in my favourite genres: very posh people who are actually quite sad and/or very posh people who are actually poor.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2019, 10:54:45 AM
Looks like Joaquin Phoenix is having the last laugh. Joker expected to become the highest grossing R-rated movie ever.

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/joker-box-office-profitable-superhero-movie-1203377839/

All without being released in the PRC.

Wait what? Why was it banned in China?

Edit: Is it because of his PETA stuff? Man they will ban you for the most bizarre shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2019, 12:49:50 AM
No

Ah. Is this a game of 20 questions?

Did he say something about Winnie the Pooh at some point? Did he suggest that Uigurs don't actually like concentration camps?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

China allows a limited number of foreign films to be screened annually.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2019, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2019, 12:49:50 AM
No

Ah. Is this a game of 20 questions?

Did he say something about Winnie the Pooh at some point? Did he suggest that Uigurs don't actually like concentration camps?

Says the man spreading false claims instead of performing a simple search.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2019, 08:32:26 PM
Suspiria. Watched the new one and then re-watched the original.

The original is one of my favourite giallo films and I really like Guadagnino's other films so I had a lot of hope about this "inspired by" remake.

It's interesting and there's a really good film in there. But I think there's maybe a little too much weight being carried by a film that is, basically, about a coven. Which means there's a lot of shifts in tone which can be a bit weird and there's a slower, longer film about post-war Germany that means I think bits of it are a bit of a drag.

I also think it's interesting to take one of Argento's brightest and most garish films and then choose a very cold, drained set of colours. It makes the odd vibrant flashes of red stand out more. Some really good moments, but I sort of feel disappointed and that it was a bit of a waste given the talent involved :(

Yeah, I agree that the whole war guilt plot really never gels with the actual horror film and it really drags on. I enjoyed the film nonetheless, a bit of a guilty pleasure since when it comes down to it it's actually quite trashy, good trashy.

Sheilbh

And yet, for me, maybe not trashy enough :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Beanpole. A Russian film about two women (re?) building their lives in Leningrad a year after the war's ended. Somehow, this film is more bleak than that sounds :mellow:

But beautifully made and almost garish in its use of colour at points. And the two central performances are really excellent too.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2019, 12:48:23 PM
Beanpole. A Russian film about two women (re?) building their lives in Leningrad a year after the war's ended. Somehow, this film is more bleak than that sounds :mellow:

But beautifully made and almost garish in its use of colour at points. And the two central performances are really excellent too.

T&A?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.