And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2019, 03:19:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2019, 03:16:22 PM
I doubt anyone in the US military seriously thought in terms of any possible outcome of the fleet battles of 1942 leading to an actual Japanese invasion of continental US.

Shipping a Japanese army capable of defeating US resistance across the Pacific would, to put it mildly, be a significant logistical feat, even if the Pacific Fleet was destroyed; and the Japanese army was pretty busy elsewhere at the time.

Not to mention that the Japanese sucked at opposed landings.  Shattered Sword has a fascinating appendix on what would likely have happened had the Japanese attempted a landing at Midway in June 1942.  Short version: two thousand Japanese bodies rolling in the surf underneath an American flag.

Ooooo good book.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on October 24, 2019, 06:38:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2019, 03:16:22 PM
I doubt anyone in the US military seriously thought in terms of any possible outcome of the fleet battles of 1942 leading to an actual Japanese invasion of continental US.

Shipping a Japanese army capable of defeating US resistance across the Pacific would, to put it mildly, be a significant logistical feat, even if the Pacific Fleet was destroyed; and the Japanese army was pretty busy elsewhere at the time.

Not to mention that the Japanese sucked at opposed landings.  Shattered Sword has a fascinating appendix on what would likely have happened had the Japanese attempted a landing at Midway in June 1942.  Short version: two thousand Japanese bodies rolling in the surf underneath an American flag.

Ooooo good book.

Not just a good book on Midway, just a damn good book period.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Damn.  Weeds.  Marie Louise Parker is even hotter than I remember.

dps

Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2019, 05:09:19 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 24, 2019, 03:46:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2019, 03:17:48 PM
Aside from a diversion, of what earthly use did the Staff think landing armies on remote Aleutian islands would be?

As the crow (or the bomber) flies, Attu and Kiska are closer to Japan then Midway Island.

I don't understand why the Japanese thought landing there made strategic sense.

Mostly, invading the Aleutians was just part of the general Japanese strategy of pushing as far from their home islands as possible, to make it a longer slog for any American counter-offensive, and to deny the Americans potential bases from which bombers could reach the home islands. 

In contrast, the landing at Midway wasn't really all that much about seizing Midway itself; it was intended to draw the American carriers into a decisive battle.  Which it did, but the Japanese didn't expect to be the ones to be decisively defeated.

celedhring

Catching up with Succession season 2. When I thought the show couldn't be more enjoyable Holly Hunter shows up in it.

Tamas

Not to beat a dead horse too much but this IS funny. Languish Americans:

TV series pretending to be authentic places the Brits to the Battle of Verdun? What's the big deal?!

Hollywood movie overstates the danger of Japanese victory at the Battle of Midway for dramatic effect? 5 PAGE DISCUSSION AND OUTRAGE ENSUES.

:lol:

Eddie Teach

Neither is a big deal. Also, the Verdun comment generated much discussion too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2019, 04:23:49 PM
Not to beat a dead horse too much but this IS funny. Languish Americans:

TV series pretending to be authentic places the Brits to the Battle of Verdun? What's the big deal?!

Hollywood movie overstates the danger of Japanese victory at the Battle of Midway for dramatic effect? 5 PAGE DISCUSSION AND OUTRAGE ENSUES.

:lol:

Not to beat a dead beet, but this IS funny. Languish Tamas.

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHAMERICANSAREDUMB
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

You are mistaking me with CC

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2019, 05:36:25 PM
You are mistaking me with CC

If you'd use a lot more ad homs, you'd be indistinguishable from him.

I looked through the posts for the OUTRAGE! you claim comes from the "Languish Americans" and couldn't find it.  Can you point it out for me?  You won't have to look at five pages.  I brought up the movie just two pages back.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

dps

Not to mention that the Japanese sucked at opposed landings.  .

I read once somewhere that the only amphibious landing during WWII that failed was the first Japanese landing on Wake Island.

That's not strictly true, though.  Certainly the Soviet landing in the Crimea in the winter of 1941-42 failed, and I'm sure we could find some other examples.  I think what the book meant was it was the only amphibious operation that failed to even gain a lodgment.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2019, 11:56:46 PM

Not to mention that the Japanese sucked at opposed landings.  .

I read once somewhere that the only amphibious landing during WWII that failed was the first Japanese landing on Wake Island.

That's not strictly true, though.  Certainly the Soviet landing in the Crimea in the winter of 1941-42 failed, and I'm sure we could find some other examples.  I think what the book meant was it was the only amphibious operation that failed to even gain a lodgment.

Dieppe was a "raid" rather than a permanent landing, but failed pretty spectacularly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Looks like Joaquin Phoenix is having the last laugh. Joker expected to become the highest grossing R-rated movie ever.

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/joker-box-office-profitable-superhero-movie-1203377839/

All without being released in the PRC.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

"Daybreak" on Netflix.

I'm enjoying it.