News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2017, 12:11:03 PM
Pretty sure we have had animated series for adults before.
Maybe not in America.
There was Tripping the Rift, but I'm unsure if it was a Canadian or American series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

frunk

Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2017, 01:01:48 PM
Maybe not in America.
There was Tripping the Rift, but I'm unsure if it was a Canadian or American series.

South Park, Archer, Simpsons, Family Guy, Bojack Horseman, Bob's Burgers and many others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

viper37

South Park is for teenagers, so are the Simpsons.  Don't know about the others.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2017, 02:23:46 PM

I have my doubts Castlevania is going to be dealing with deep profound topics that make it somehow more advanced that the Simpsons or South Park.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2017, 02:37:32 PM

I have my doubts Castlevania is going to be dealing with deep profound topics that make it somehow more advanced that the Simpsons or South Park.

I am sure it will be more profound than the previous animated Simon Belmont.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wgCxt1l0o

[spoiler]Yes, Captain N. Such a waste of valuable video game IPs.[/spoiler]

garbon

Archer is definitely geared towards adults.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

well, deep, profound topics can be found in teenage anime. Well, maybe not Panzers and young girls and Princess something, but I've seen issues like feminism (in the 70s), robotization and its effect on mankind, genocides, racial intolerance & fanatism on both sides, the consequences of war for civilians, etc, etc.

I guess to me, an "adult series" would involve dealing not necessarly 'serious' topics, but it would include mentions about sexual activities or presence of nudity.  Tripping the rift fits the bill.  Killing people is so common in all kinds of anime/cartoons that I hesitate to call it "mature".  But since every time a women shows a bit of skin it gets labelled at 18+ in the US, I guess I automatically associate this with "adult oriented" :P

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2017, 04:55:39 PM

well, deep, profound topics can be found in teenage anime. Well, maybe not Panzers and young girls and Princess something, but I've seen issues like feminism (in the 70s), robotization and its effect on mankind, genocides, racial intolerance & fanatism on both sides, the consequences of war for civilians, etc, etc.

I guess to me, an "adult series" would involve dealing not necessarly 'serious' topics, but it would include mentions about sexual activities or presence of nudity.  Tripping the rift fits the bill.  Killing people is so common in all kinds of anime/cartoons that I hesitate to call it "mature".  But since every time a women shows a bit of skin it gets labelled at 18+ in the US, I guess I automatically associate this with "adult oriented" :P

Striperella.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Finally saw arrival.  Pretty good movie.  A huge nod to all sci-fi classics, like Contact, Deep Space Nine and the Star Trek universe in general, War of the Worlds, even a tiny bit of ID4 in there I suppose.

Yeah, rock solid sci-fi movie.  It's a little hard to understand in the beginning, but then you begin to understand, just a tad faster than the lady does, just as she learns the aliens language.

At first, I thought the plot was a bit silly, but then it all made sense in the end.  Well, in the middle, actually.  Sort of. :D

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2017, 02:46:49 PM

Archer is definitely geared towards adults.

Yeah....you could say that. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on February 13, 2017, 01:06:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2017, 01:01:48 PM
Maybe not in America.

South Park, Archer, Simpsons, Family Guy, Bojack Horseman, Bob's Burgers and many others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Rick and Morty.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

By that standard South Park and the Simpsons are adult since they both mention sexual activities.

Eddie Teach

South Park is for 12 year olds of all ages.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Interesting Western Animation example: Star vs. the Forces of Evil deals expressly with issues such as racism and genocide (albeit in a fantasy setting), and people are killed; cannibalism (or at least, consumption of a sentient being) has been depicted, and played for horror, not laughs ... yet it is rated US-TV-Y7.  It's (mostly) a comedy, for children.

The reason: the sex stuff is kept to romantic innuendo, and jokes likely to go over the heads of kids.