News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I didn't care much for season 4 of Sherlock. It's definitely become a bit too self-indulgent and videofarty. The cast is still very watchable though.

celedhring

American Crime Story - Despite the great reviews I have always hesitated about watching this, since I really don't care much for the subject matter. But it is really well done, with great performances, and it managed to capture my interest despite the fact I already know the ending.  :hmm:

Oexmelin

Raoul Peck, "I am not your negro".

Must-watch documentary about James Baldwin. Amazing. Only words heard are Baldwin's own, and his analysis remains, alas, remarkably pertinent. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2017, 08:46:17 AM
I didn't care much for season 4 of Sherlock. It's definitely become a bit too self-indulgent and videofarty. The cast is still very watchable though.

Agree. Worst series so far.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2017, 07:47:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 02, 2017, 08:53:30 AM
The Expanse S2 off to a good start.

Agreed

:yes:  Good show. [spoiler] First episode introduces a possible new threat to everyone, all sides friend and foe. [/spoiler]

Josquius

Arrival-  Heard great things.
It was thoroughly meh.
[spoiler]I expected some cool linguistic challenge with the aliens having a interest world view, something like in Embassy Town. But no. Its cliched non linear time nonsense. Mixed with a stupid unnecessary bubbling under romance/idiotic decision to have a kid doomed to suffer. [/spoiler]
Nice to see something somewhat new attempted with scifi movies at least
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

:lol:  Yes, spoilers indeed.

Ideologue

Spoilers for Arrival and Nocturnal Animals in the following question: [spoiler]Is Amy Adams pro-life?  Arrival's the carrot, making a big deal about how awesome it is to have a kid with cancer or whatever who dies before they even become properly human, while Nocturnal Animals is the stick, beating Adams' character with shame, in part for having had an abortion years earlier.[/spoiler]  It's weird, but I guess we'll have to wait till it happen again; twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern, and all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2017, 05:45:03 PM
To be frank, the more I think about Silence the more it's growing on me. Certainly deserved a BP nod given the stuff that got one.

If it wasn't so... goddamn... long... and slow... but it certainly packs a punch when it matters. Scorsese is just too good. And the basic conflict the film portrays is compelling.

Another possible reason why this hasn't been bigger in religious circles is that while the film features plenty of Christian martyrs... most of them are Asian.  :hmm:

Now that I've seen it, I totally understand why it didn't hit big with the Dumbassed Christian audience--after all, it explicitly hates the Dumbassed Christian audience.  It's probably too austere for even the Normal Christian audience to really embrace it.  Really, it's one of those movies that wasn't made for anybody except for its makers.  Naturally, I loved the shit out of it.  It took me a couple of days, though--that seems to be the commonest refrain in positive notices of the film.  I walked out of it thinking 7/10.  But eventually I realized it was one of the best movies of the whole year.

And yeah, if motherfucking Arrival was going to get one, it definitely deserved a BP nom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2017, 09:06:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2017, 05:45:03 PM
To be frank, the more I think about Silence the more it's growing on me. Certainly deserved a BP nod given the stuff that got one.

If it wasn't so... goddamn... long... and slow... but it certainly packs a punch when it matters. Scorsese is just too good. And the basic conflict the film portrays is compelling.

Another possible reason why this hasn't been bigger in religious circles is that while the film features plenty of Christian martyrs... most of them are Asian.  :hmm:

Now that I've seen it, I totally understand why it didn't hit big with the Dumbassed Christian audience--after all, it explicitly hates the Dumbassed Christian audience.  It's probably too austere for even the Normal Christian audience to really embrace it.  Really, it's one of those movies that wasn't made for anybody except for its makers.  Naturally, I loved the shit out of it.  It took me a couple of days, though--that seems to be the commonest refrain in positive notices of the film.  I walked out of it thinking 7/10.  But eventually I realized it was one of the best movies of the whole year.

Could you explain in a theological way what you mean?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

It's a movie about the sin of living out a persecution fantasy (even in the midst of an actual persecution), and having the arrogance to believe that suffering for being a loudmouth for one's faith is necessarily as meaningful as the suffering of the Christ, especially if the suffering falls mostly upon other people.  In other words, it's for good Christians, not Evangelical Trump voters; put even more simply, it's a movie that revolves around the insidious temptation of pride.

It's also a movie about a AA-league holocaust, and it has no truck with the Tokugawa Japanese repression; but this is mostly scene-setting.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

I don't think you're grasping the whole "Christianity =/ Catholics" disconnect, particularly within the Jesuit context.

I mean, you're from the South; the only thing they hate more than niggers down there are Catholics. Figured you of all people would already understand that.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2017, 09:35:40 PM
I don't think you're grasping the whole "Christianity =/ Catholics" disconnect, particularly within the Jesuit context.

I mean, you're from the South; the only thing they hate more than niggers down there are Catholics. Figured you of all people would already understand that.

This is, like, fifty years out of date.  At least in the South, the anti-abortion movement has made an alliance between Catholics and Protestants, at least in broad enough terms that they don't want to refight the Wars of Religion anymore.

But yeah, respecting the differences, it's "for" Catholics, in that Catholics have theology and ethics, whereas American Protestants do admittedly only tend to have guns and ropes.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

P.S.: I think this election has proven that there is nothing Southerners hate more than black people.  Not even shithead New Yorkers; not even Russians.
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2017, 09:42:07 PM
P.S.: I think this election has proven that there is nothing Southerners hate more than black people.  Not even shithead New Yorkers; not even Russians.

close tie with gays though.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011