News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2017, 08:52:30 AM
14 Oscar noms for La La Land, all time best tied with Titanic and All About Eve.

Hollywood surely likes to fall in love with itself.

The Larch

Best Picture candidates:

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell Or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight

Josquius

14 Oscar noms for La La Land, all time best tied with Titanic and All About Eve.

A musical? Seriously?
Fuck this planet.  Just Fuck it.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on January 24, 2017, 09:08:59 AM

A musical? Seriously?

What problem do you have with musicals?

Liep

Also 3 nominations for Denmark! :yeah:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2017, 09:12:49 AM

A musical? Seriously?

The ratio of song : movie is backwards.
A movie with a few fun songs?  Sure.  Let's have it.  The shows Crazy ex Girlfriend and Flight of the Concords do this well.
A film where every bloody bit  of story is told in song?
Awful.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on January 24, 2017, 10:54:01 AM

A musical? Seriously?

A movie with a few fun songs?  Sure.  Let's have it.  The shows Crazy ex Girlfriend and Flight of the Concords do this well.
Awful.

:angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

A musical? Seriously?

Awful.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any musicals where everything is in song. I really doubt that La La Land is that way (haven't seen it yet).

celedhring

La La Land actually has relatively few songs. I actually like musicals but I thought La La Land was just okay.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2017, 11:16:17 AM

A musical? Seriously?

Awful.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any musicals where everything is in song. I really doubt that La La Land is that way (haven't seen it yet).

Practically all of Evita is in song (at least singsong).

As cel said though, La La Land doesn't really have all that many songs / I'm not so sure it should really be sold a s a musical. I think it was fun but certainly not worthy of that many potential awards.  Hollywood was really just excited about a movie about itself?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Jesus Christ Superstar. End of fucking story.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 24, 2017, 12:22:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2017, 11:16:17 AM

A musical? Seriously?

Awful.

Practically all of Evita is in song (at least singsong).

Yep.  Also Les Miserables (2012), as well as Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods, and tons of other films.  Personally, I don't think the sung-through musical form is the best way to go about constructing a musical; it tends to flatten everything into a quasi-musical slurry.  (But then again, I like Les Mis ok--it's possible I'm just not a big fan of Sondheim.  I can't say I'm in love with West Side Story either, and it's sure as hell not Robert Wise's fault.)  I don't know if there's a specific term for the other kind of musical, with showstoppers, but I do prefer them.

QuoteAs cel said though, La La Land doesn't really have all that many songs / I'm not so sure it should really be sold a s a musical. I think it was fun but certainly not worthy of that many potential awards.  Hollywood was really just excited about a movie about itself?

I'm absolutely fine with a BP nom, or even a win.  I rather loved it, in spite of its flaws--no. 1 being the lack of great songs.  Even so, La La Land is the only movie on that list I've seen that actually deserves a BP nom.  On the other hand, much to my shame, I haven't seen over half of them, because it's a Goddamned boring list even more full of middlebrow dramas than usual.

And the best musical of 2016 was Moana.  If that doesn't beat Zootopia and Kubo and the Two Strings (obnoxiously overrated, that one) for the Best Animated Film award, then there's no justice.

Finally, I'd like to remind everyone that Josq is a crank.

P.S. Oh, and Arrival?  A BP nominee?  Seriously?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2017, 03:34:50 AM
Silence - almost 3 hours of Japanese trying to physically and psychologically torture a Catholic priest into apostasy,  in XVII century Japan.

I suppose that if I gave more of a fuck about religion I would've found the faith elements and conflicts more engaging, although at the end of it all is a story about what it takes to break one's spirit in front of tyranny. Still, a bit boring despite the fact that Scorsese is as masterful as usual. Garfield seemed grossly miscast.

Surprised this hasn't made more of a splash among the WE ARE BEING PERSECUTED christian hysterical crowd, though. I suppose Scorsese doesn't have cred around that flock.

I need to get out and go see it.  It's hard to get to because my girlfriend has zero percent interest in seeing it, for exactly the reasons you've described.  Meanwhile, I actually like movies about religion, at least if they're made by competent people.  (Which in practice means that I do not like most movies about religion, at least not American movies about Christianity made after the 1960s.  God's Not Dead is a hoot, though.  God's Not Dead 2, starring Sabrina the MILFy Witch, not so much.)

I too am mildly surprised that Christians haven't tried to make something out of Silence, but I guess their memories of the Last Temptation have stuck.  But personally I'm still pretty psyched about it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

To be frank, the more I think about Silence the more it's growing on me. Certainly deserved a BP nod given the stuff that got one.

If it wasn't so... goddamn... long... and slow... but it certainly packs a punch when it matters. Scorsese is just too good. And the basic conflict the film portrays is compelling.

Another possible reason why this hasn't been bigger in religious circles is that while the film features plenty of Christian martyrs... most of them are Asian.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 24, 2017, 05:27:16 PM
I too am mildly surprised that Christians haven't tried to make something out of Silence, but I guess their memories of the Last Temptation have stuck.  But personally I'm still pretty psyched about it.

You guys keep missing the ball: Christians don't give a shit about Catholics.

And besides, Last Temptation portrayed Jaysus with a Missus Jaysus and children. Big difference.