News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

It's been announced that Patrick Stewart will voice "Poo" in the upcoming Emjoi movie.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 19, 2017, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 19, 2017, 05:00:48 PM
Oh yes, this is Verhoeven's movie about the transition from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance.
Very different from Elle, of course.

Ah, so his Virgin Spring, then. :P

Well, it is somewhat between Virgin Spring and the unofficial remake of Virgin Spring by Wes Craven i.e Last House on the Left.  :P

Josephus

Finished The OA. If you haven't seen it...don't bother.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: LaCroix on January 19, 2017, 09:27:23 PM
COMPLETELY passed over by CM  :weep:

:console: It didn't really fit the TV/Movie thread, so I think that's why I got distracted and didn't respond. 

But yeah, some public defense systems are a disgrace, relying on contractors who are paid very poorly -- sometimes a flat fee per case, which obviously incentives a "greet 'em and plead 'em" approach to criminal defense; sometimes an hourly rate ($55 an hour in N.C. for misdemeanors, $70 for felonies), though I've seen judges (in N.C.) unilaterally reduce the hours submitted by the contract attorney if they felt the case didn't really require that much work.  Many of these contractors do not primarily practice criminal defense, and they don't necessarily take the cases because they have any experience or passion or talent for the work involved.

But in other places, there are excellent contract attorneys who handle the many cases where the PD office conflicts out (e.g. they currently represent the complainant).  And there are places that do compensate lawyers decently and don't discourage spending state money on real defense work (e.g. hiring experts).  There are also contract attorneys who are basically private criminal defense lawyers handling a mix of appointments and paying clients (who of course get better representation), which means they at least bring experience.  Plus the newly-minted attorneys trying to get into criminal defense, or at least trial work, who will take appointments for peanuts to get experience, which means they at least bring passion.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

LaCroix

here, allegedly contract work pays decently well. except, many attorneys who handle the cases clearly just do it for the money and half-ass it. apparently ND didn't have permanent public defenders until kinda recently. I've only seen the contract PDs from the appeals side, but with a number of them you can just tell from their arguments they're phoning it in. also, stories about how many often don't bother meeting their clients because it takes too much time. it's p fucked up

Syt

A page from the history books:

Against sound films! For living artists!

To the audience!

Achtung! Dangers of sound films!

Sound films are trash!
- Whoever loves art and artists rejects sound films!

Sound film is monotony!
- 100% sound film = 100% drop in artistic level. (Verflachung would mean something like dropping into intellectual mediocrity in this context)

Sound film is economic and spiritual murder!
- It's tin can apparatus sounds like from a basement, squeaks, is bad for your hearing, and ruins the existence of musicians and artists!

Sound movie is badly conserved stage play at elevated prices!

Therefore:
- Demand good silent movies!
- Demand accompaniment by orchestra and musicians!
- Demand live stage performances!

Reject sound films!
- Where there's no cinema with mucicians or stage performance: visit vaudeville shows!
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

That's a lot of exclamation marks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I always knew the depression was caused by all the out of work musicians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 20, 2017, 11:19:13 AM
Old and boring now, real life is so much more ridiculous  :lol:

:lol:  Just fucking rerun '80s apocalypse movies already.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney