News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I watched the first two episodes.

I like what they are trying to do, but it wasn't really all that great, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2017, 02:21:54 PM
Yeah, I haven't decided if I am going to move forward with that show.  Everybody raves about it, but...well, c'mon.

I'll repeat the standard line, each season there are three episodes, one good, one great, one lousy but with no consensus on which is which.  I thought the first episode of season 1 was pretty dumb too.  If you also don't like anything in the first season then I wouldn't bother going further, but at least give it a try.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2017, 04:25:03 PM
Yes, Black Sails is very good.  I haven't watched the first episode of season 4 yet.  Don't know when that'll happen either :D

The studio actually builds the ships, and even uses historically authentic specs when possible. That amazed me. I figured they used mostly existing sailing ships and modified them and paid the owners for renting the ships. And green screens and sets built to look like ships with green screens background.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on February 01, 2017, 02:23:49 PM
I watched the first two episodes.

I like what they are trying to do, but it wasn't really all that great, IMO.

The most recent season is much better.  As is the Christmas episode.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Snowden. Rather dull dramatically, even by biopic standards.
The Magnificent 7 remake. Cartoonishly evil villain, anachronistic racial makeup of the crew, and no Charles Bronson. It was watchable, but didn't need to be made.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2017, 09:23:22 AM
Watched Episode One of Black Mirror.

The one with the pig.

Wow.

It is a great series of shows.  :cool:

Gups

The one with the pig.

Wow.

Yeah, I haven't decided if I am going to move forward with that show.  Everybody raves about it, but...well, c'mon.

It's patchy but overall brilliant. Actually makes you think.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on February 02, 2017, 02:52:32 AM

The one with the pig.

Wow.

It's patchy but overall brilliant. Actually makes you think.

The first episode made me think nothing but- well that was unsettling, I'll pass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

The first episode sucked.
I think I remember the second is good. 
It's like the outer limits.  Episodes unrelated and variably good/bad.
Just decided to check a episode list.  Ones I remember being great-
3.01, Xmas,  2.03, 2.02,  1.02, 3.03
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Saw Lion yesterday. Very well done film. It was a story ripe for hollywooduzing but they didn't do that at all. Only the "I stop shaving and drink beers and argue with the girlfriend while I browse Google Earth" bits felt a bit weak. But I understand it was hard to give drama to a guy just running Google Earth through 4 years.

11B4V

The Expanse S2 off to a good start.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Quote from: frunk on February 01, 2017, 02:28:09 PM

I'll repeat the standard line, each season there are three episodes, one good, one great, one lousy but with no consensus on which is which.  I thought the first episode of season 1 was pretty dumb too.  If you also don't like anything in the first season then I wouldn't bother going further, but at least give it a try.

I liked the pig one.

I watched episode two yesteday (the one about the virtual world and people biking for credits) and wasn't especially impressed.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

I thought the pig one was just transparently playiing to the viewers revulsion. OK, I am appalled...but so what? If I want to just watch something to be grossed out about, I can watch SAW.

The second one was definitely much better in that there was a clear attempt to actually say something about society, but it wasn't executed particularly well. I just didn't care all that much about either character, but I thought the plot was a neat idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Couldn't sleep so I watched Riverdale. I... what the hell people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2017, 09:26:37 AM
Couldn't sleep so I watched Riverdale. I... what the hell people.

Dude, you brought that on yourself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?