News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2017, 03:14:03 AM
Apparently the BBC has adapted Len Deighton's SS-GB for TV?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-GB_(TV_series)

I did post about it on thieBay same page of this thread. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I skip many posts in this thread to avoid possible spoilers for shows I might want to watch. -_-  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2017, 05:01:29 PM
I was just watching the first episode of BBC's adaptation of SS-GB (I'll need to see another episode before I can tell if I like it) and noticed something odd in the closed captioning*. When there was some street noise, the CC read 'Hubbub' What a delightful phrasing. :D

*yes, I always watch things with subtitles if I can. -_-

Subtitles obligatory for SS-GB, the sound was so crap.

I thought it was OK but the other members of my family were on their phones within 5 minutes. Might give it one more episode.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on February 20, 2017, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2017, 05:01:29 PM
I was just watching the first episode of BBC's adaptation of SS-GB (I'll need to see another episode before I can tell if I like it) and noticed something odd in the closed captioning*. When there was some street noise, the CC read 'Hubbub' What a delightful phrasing. :D

*yes, I always watch things with subtitles if I can. -_-

Subtitles obligatory for SS-GB, the sound was so crap.

I thought it was OK but the other members of my family were on their phones within 5 minutes. Might give it one more episode.

Yeah, it didn't do enough to really hook you in. Will be interesting to see what episode 2 brings.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Watched Mr. Baseball tother day.  Holds up real well.   However this was the first time I realized how physics defying and ridiculous the climactic scene is.  Based loaded, two outs, down by one in the bottom of the ninth, the power batter squeezes in TWO runs AND is safe at first. :bleeding:

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2017, 08:18:02 PM
Best 10-year old's quotes after the movie--

"Apollo Creed is too full of himself."
"Are all the people in Philadelphia that mad at life all the time, like back then?"

Pennsylvania is a fucking hellhole.  I mean, I guess I can't speak for Philadelphia specifically, but I'm sure they still are.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
Pennsylvania is a fucking hellhole.  I mean, I guess I can't speak for Philadelphia specifically, but I'm sure they still are.
Are you basing your opinion on just Pittsburgh?  If so, big mistake. :P  I would not presume to judge Ohio based solely on Cleveland. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I finished watching The Crown this weekend.  Great series... can't wait for the next season.

The show portrays Philip as an unbelievable douche.  I knew he was sorta douchey in real life, but didn't think he was quite THAT bad.

Wonder what the actual Crown thinks of this show. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2017, 10:47:17 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
Are you basing your opinion on just Pittsburgh?  If so, big mistake. :P  I would not presume to judge Ohio based solely on Cleveland. :sleep:

Pennsylvania and Ohio are cookie cutter infinity mirrors.

Valmy

I judge Pennsylvania on just Penn State.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Been watching How to Get Away with Murder. This seems to have got quite good reviews, but honestly I thought it was just glossy trash. Every cheap trick and twist gets played out, all the supporting characters are hilariously sex-crazed to a ridiculous degree, and the procedural part of the show has the depth of a frog pond. Viola Davis is the sole highlight, she's a cut or two above everything else in the show.

I read that season 2 is much better. Might give it a try since honestly I wonder were all the praise comes from, besides Viola Davis.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 21, 2017, 11:46:28 AM
Been watching How to Get Away with Murder. This seems to have got quite good reviews, but honestly I thought it was just glossy trash. Every cheap trick and twist gets played out, all the supporting characters are hilariously sex-crazed to a ridiculous degree, and the procedural part of the show has the depth of a frog pond. Viola Davis is the sole highlight, she's a cut or two above everything else in the show.

I read that season 2 is much better. Might give it a try since honestly I wonder were all the praise comes from, besides Viola Davis.

Oh yes, of all of the Shonda shows, this is one of the worst. I gave it a few episodes as Viola Davis was quite good (and that makeup scene!) but otherwise the rest was garbage.

Also, I don't do well with overuse of hopping between time periods unless it actually serves an interesting story purpose. From what I saw of that show, it did not. -_-

celedhring

Yeah, the cutting between the two timelines is as you say pretty irritating and just a way to hammer your head with OMG SOMETHING BIG WILL HAPPEN. Plus it takes runtime away from the "crime of the week" which could badly use some more fleshing out in most episodes.

The make up scene was the best bit in the whole season, so you don't really need to watch more.

Liep

Moana.

Damn those songs sound good and coupled with the overly pleasing aesthetics of the pacific islands it's a regular onslaught of feel good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien