News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: alfred russel on July 13, 2011, 12:00:57 AM
I'm sure it is just a coincidence that the two regions we have intervened the most--the middle east and latin america--have a very low opinion of our country.

How does that account for regions we don't "intervene" with having a very low opinion of our country?

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 09:16:19 PM
Euros who are the majority last time I checked were the most enthusiastic about this, with the exception of Germany IIRC.

Have you seen any recent polling to back that up? France may have been enthusiastic, and maybe a few others, but I'd be suprised if that extended to the majority of NATO membership.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: citizen k on July 13, 2011, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 13, 2011, 12:00:57 AM
I'm sure it is just a coincidence that the two regions we have intervened the most--the middle east and latin america--have a very low opinion of our country.

How does that account for regions we don't "intervene" with having a very low opinion of our country?

Those two are probably the lowest. Subsaharan Africa has some positive vibes for the US due to the fact we've been engaging there with aid rather than bombs. Europe, Canada, and Australia are our allies. Asia is a big area to generalize, but I'm not aware of much animosity east of pakistan outside of the countries we've fought wars against post WWII.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Berkut

I would say the country the US has the most contact and constant intervention with is probably Canada and the rest of Europe. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan even all have more US contact and ongoing interaction than the Middle East.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

And two of the three main Canadian political parties are dedicated to the downfall of the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 08:20:02 AM
And two of the three main Canadian political parties are dedicated to the downfall of the US.

1/3 is about the best one can hope for from Canadians.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

How is the Conservative Party not dedicated to the downfall of the US?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2011, 08:24:25 AM
Because it isn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 08:31:57 AM
Because it isn't.

It seems it is at the same extent then the NDP or the Liberals. BQ isn't dedicated to the downfall of the US but the downfall of Canada.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2011, 08:33:29 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 08:31:57 AM
Because it isn't.
It seems it is at the same extent then the NDP or the Liberals. BQ isn't dedicated to the downfall of the US but the downfall of Canada.
The BQ isn't a major party.  The NDP is dedicated to the downfall of Western Civilization, which means the US.  The Liberals just hate the US because they are strong (although maybe now that they aren't anymore, the Liberals might feel differently).

Grey Fox

And the Cons don't hate the US because?

Neil

jimmy olsen

Lets hope they're right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/gaddafi-forces-struggling-us-reports-say/2011/07/12/gIQA0sSQBI_story.html

QuoteNew U.S. intelligence assessments conclude that government forces, already beset with morale problems and a steady stream of defections, are now hard-pressed to find fuel for military vehicles after rebel troops shut down a key pipeline. If current trends continue, loyalists troops will run out of fuel by summer's end, and the Gaddafi government will face a worsening cash and credit shortage because of international sanctions, the reports say.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 10:18:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2011, 08:48:03 AM
And the Cons don't hate the US because?
Common goals.

Which if the Tea baggers are any indication, the total destruction of Western Civilization.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on July 13, 2011, 07:39:24 AM
I would say the country the US has the most contact and constant intervention with is probably Canada and the rest of Europe. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan even all have more US contact and ongoing interaction than the Middle East.

Yeah, the types of intervention in Canada is exactly what I was referring to.  :rolleyes: NAFTA != dropping bombs on people to change their government.