News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Third Languish Sunday EU3 MP Game Thread

Started by Tamas, April 23, 2010, 08:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

I've been meaning to ask. If a game needs a counter to Austria and France to restrain their expansion, why does nobody want to play Burgundy in a start pre-1477?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

JonasSalk

Quote from: Agelastus on April 23, 2010, 08:17:26 PM
I've been meaning to ask. If a game needs a counter to Austria and France to restrain their expansion, why does nobody want to play Burgundy in a start pre-1477?

My guess is "lol let's partition Burgundy."
Yuman

DGuller

Quote from: Agelastus on April 23, 2010, 08:17:26 PM
Probably bias towards the way actual history played out (which didn't turn out well for Burgundy, obviously).

Habbaku

The problem with having a Burgundy is that, to properly expand, they're going to have to go in one direction or the other.  They simply share too many similar-culture provinces with their largest neighbors to remain extant without squishing France (best case) or a lot of the German minors (worst case) in the process.  Of course, Burgundy is an interesting country to play as they definitely have a chance at perpetually being elected Emperor.

I'd be tempted to take them up if not for my strong desire to play Brandenburg-Prussia this time around.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Agelastus on April 23, 2010, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: Kleves on April 23, 2010, 04:30:06 PM
I actually think we look at a game like this too rationally. What we need is a little irrational roleplaying. Like the Brits trying to stay on the Continent, or squabbles over religion.

I couldn't imagine playing any other way as England/Britain; which of course is why I only play against AI and not human opponents. I do, however, read these Languish game threads with enormous pleasure. Please keep up the good work.

I actually don't understand the reticence of no risk-taking amongst the players that take on England.  If anyone's more insulated from their fuck-ups in foreign policy than the other countries, it's Britain.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2010, 09:43:46 PM
I actually don't understand the reticence of no risk-taking amongst the players that take on England.  If anyone's more insulated from their fuck-ups in foreign policy than the other countries, it's Britain.
I'm not sure I agree.  Britain is one naval disaster away from being up shit creek without a paddle, especially further on in the game.  They have plenty of territories to defend, and no manpower to spare.  Colonial powers are brittle, and absolutely need to have their foreign diplomacy in order to avoid a costly setback.

Berkut

The manpower thing is a killer. They just run out of troops, immediately.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2010, 10:13:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2010, 09:43:46 PM
I'm not sure I agree.  Britain is one naval disaster away from being up shit creek without a paddle, especially further on in the game.  They have plenty of territories to defend, and no manpower to spare.  Colonial powers are brittle, and absolutely need to have their foreign diplomacy in order to avoid a costly setback.

Naval disaster against whom?  Spain?  They're the only power that can threaten Britain point-for-point at sea and even then wouldn't be able to do so if the British assure themselves of better naval leadership through use of Seahawks and Naval College (Admiralty?  Whatever the +1 tradition/year is called).

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2010, 10:44:17 PM
The manpower thing is a killer. They just run out of troops, immediately.

Building regimental camps and taking National Conscripts would help them a lot in that sphere.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 24, 2010, 12:21:37 AM
Naval disaster against whom?  Spain?  They're the only power that can threaten Britain point-for-point at sea and even then wouldn't be able to do so if the British assure themselves of better naval leadership through use of Seahawks and Naval College (Admiralty?  Whatever the +1 tradition/year is called).
It's not very likely, but it's possible.  It gets more likely if British are fighting two naval powers at once.  However, if it does happen, it's an unmitigated disaster.

DGuller

Are we playing tomorrow?  If so, what's the start time?

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

I can only play till about 2:30 / 3:00 edt
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Alcibiades

I don't like much of any house rules.  Let people play games the way they want to play them, IMO.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Habbaku

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 24, 2010, 09:14:45 PM
I don't like much of any house rules.  Let people play games the way they want to play them, IMO.

Fund Patriots is now legal, then?

-J. R. R. Tolkien