Chinese Warships Encroach on Japanese Territorial Waters

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2010, 04:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Alarming, especially with the US navy the smallest it's been in nearly a hundred years.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3db28126-475e-11df-b253-00144feab49a.html
QuoteJapan urges China warships probe

By Mure Dickie in Tokyo and Kathrin Hille

Published: April 14 2010 03:00 | Last updated: April 14 2010 03:00

Japan's defence minister yesterday called for efforts to establish the intentions of an extraordinarily large group of about 10 Chinese warships and submarines that passed through international waters near Okinawa last weekend.

The comments by Toshimi Kitazawa highlight concerns in the Japanese security establishment about China's rapidly growing naval power and its implications for long-standing disputes over maritime territory and resources between east Asia's premier powers.

A Japanese official said the passage of the Chinese naval vessels followed an "extremely dangerous" incident in the East China Sea last week in which a ship-based Chinese helicopter came within 90 metres of a Japanese destroyer. Tokyo had protested about the manoeuvre "through diplomatic channels", the official said.

Mr Kitazawa acknowledged that the Chinese vessels, which included submarines, destroyers and frigates, had remained within international waters but said the "unprecedented" nature of the action needed more investigation.

A defence official said the number of Chinese vessels passing together through the gap between Japan's southern Okinawa and Miyako islands had grown steadily in recent years, from four during one passage in 2008, to five on another occasion in 2009 and six during yet another last month.

"I want to look carefully into whether [the most recent passage] was directed against our nation and then consider how to respond," Mr Kitazawa said.

Many in Japan's defence establishment have long been concerned about increasingly successful efforts of China's People's Liberation Army Navy to transform itself from a weak coastal defence force into a genuine navy.

Japan and China dispute sovereignty over islands in the East China Sea and have overlapping economic claims to its potentially vast gas resources.

In a landmark agreement aimed at easing tensions, Tokyo and Beijing in 2008 agreed to jointly develop gas fields in disputed areas but Japanese officials say their Chinese counterparts have yet to engage seriously in how to implement the agreement.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Okay, I missed something here because what the article says and your statements don't mesh well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2010, 04:58:54 AM
Okay, I missed something here because what the article says and your statements don't mesh well.

Alarming.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2010, 05:00:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2010, 04:58:54 AM

Alarming.

If the Chinese conquered Japan and put them all into labor camps I think it would be an acceptable price to pay to rid the world of anime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 04:51:44 AM

Japan's defence minister yesterday called for efforts to establish the intentions of an extraordinarily large group of about 10 Chinese warships and submarines that passed through international waters near Okinawa last weekend.

Your own article refutes your thread title :contract:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 14, 2010, 05:10:04 AM

Your own article refutes your thread title :contract:
They were quite close, and next time they'll get a bit closer, and so on.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 05:12:08 AM

They were quite close, and next time they'll get a bit closer, and so on.

Yeah, if I punch the air next to you can I be arrested for hitting you, because "I was quite close and next time I'll get a bit closer, and so on."  :lol:

Grey Fox

Alright. I guess Japan needs to build more boats then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

"China's rapidly growing naval power?"  WTF?  China's surface fleet has been near 70 ships for a decade, and was twice that size twenty years ago.  Submarine force levels have been about the same: about 100 submarines 20 years ago, cut to about 55 modern models ten years ago, and maintained at that level since.  the force is expected to grow to 10 or 12 nukes over time, but those nukes will likely replace diesel boats in the OOB.

Methinks someone is crying wolf, here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Alarming, especially with the US navy the smallest it's been in nearly a hundred years.
:lol:
Sorry, thats just so typical right wing and hawkish.

Smaller than 'overkillx100' just means 'overkillx50'
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

I know what happened: I bought some Chinese stock. Since that, there was an earthquake in China, and now this.  If CdM agrees to cover my loss, I will buy some more to trigger WW3.

Josephus

A Japo/China war would be cool. Getting tired of Hajjis and Cowboys and Arabs.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011