Chinese Warships Encroach on Japanese Territorial Waters

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2010, 04:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2010, 07:09:09 AM
A Japo/China war would be cool. Getting tired of Hajjis and Cowboys and Arabs.

These days it'd be a tard fight. Japan has a decent navy, but it's army is worse than most European armies.
And China has no way of crossing to Japan.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 05:12:08 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 14, 2010, 05:10:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 04:51:44 AM

Japan's defence minister yesterday called for efforts to establish the intentions of an extraordinarily large group of about 10 Chinese warships and submarines that passed through international waters near Okinawa last weekend.

Your own article refutes your thread title :contract:
They were quite close, and next time they'll get a bit closer, and so on.
OMG the chinese have discovered calculus!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2010, 06:36:51 AM
"China's rapidly growing naval power?"  WTF?  China's surface fleet has been near 70 ships for a decade, and was twice that size twenty years ago.  Submarine force levels have been about the same: about 100 submarines 20 years ago, cut to about 55 modern models ten years ago, and maintained at that level since.  the force is expected to grow to 10 or 12 nukes over time, but those nukes will likely replace diesel boats in the OOB.

Methinks someone is crying wolf, here.

You have to understand, with Obama in office the Chinese are giving upon the economic hegemony that's clearly falling into their lap in favor of knee jerk military operations designed to worry Tim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 14, 2010, 07:43:02 AM
You have to understand, with Obama in office the Chinese are giving upon the economic hegemony that's clearly falling into their lap in favor of knee jerk military operations designed to worry Tim.
:huh:  You lost me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Someday we'll look back on this and laugh.  Until then we'll just have to content ourselves at laughing now.  At Tim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 14, 2010, 07:17:06 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2010, 07:09:09 AM
A Japo/China war would be cool. Getting tired of Hajjis and Cowboys and Arabs.

These days it'd be a tard fight. Japan has a decent navy, but it's army is worse than most European armies.
And China has no way of crossing to Japan.

It would be like a Paradox war game then.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

DontSayBanana

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2010, 07:39:15 AM
OMG the chinese have discovered calculus!

Law of diminishing returns: apply x amount of faith to Timmay's ability to post something relevant and coherent, receive y confirmation of said ability, where y<x.  Lather, rinse, repeat. :contract:
Experience bij!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2010, 07:53:14 AM

Eh, I don't see "Chinese warships maneuver in international waters in a quasi-threatening manner" to be a huge headline. I also don't see this as part of a master plan for Chiense warships to move closer and cloesr to Japanese watrs.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 14, 2010, 10:06:18 AM
Eh, I don't see "Chinese warships maneuver in international waters in a quasi-threatening manner" to be a huge headline. I also don't see this as part of a master plan for Chiense warships to move closer and cloesr to Japanese watrs.
Agree.  It was the "upon" that threw me.  I now see that it was meant to be "giving up on" and that "in favor of knee jerk military operations designed to worry Tim" was the phrase describing what they were doing instead.

Just couldn't parse it the first time.  :Embarrass:

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: Faeelin on April 14, 2010, 10:06:18 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2010, 07:53:14 AM

The Chiense fleet will cloesr the japanese watrs?

That sounds worrying.

Do they have hyperdrive tech or do they use stargates?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"