News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Somali piracy

Started by Scipio, April 10, 2009, 05:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

No nation has the moral courage to do the right thing:  Attack the pirates with no concern as to the lives of the hostages, and then follow up with saturation bombing attacks on the Somali coast.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Captain has been saved. 3 dead pirates!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2009, 12:45:36 PM
Captain has been saved. 3 dead pirates!
Fourth pirate captured, because someone exercised pity.

*Its a pity I ran out of bullets thought BM2 McCord as he ziptied the pirate's wrists.*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 09:53:46 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 10, 2009, 09:36:41 AM
What battleships do we have now, I am speaking of a long term project here - Project Neil, designing North America's next Battleship.

Knowing our luck, he'd subcontract to the Timmeh Corporation, and after 6 months of service, they'd need a congressional review on the inadvisability of using railguns in congested marine traffic. :P

Wait, wait, Neil wants to put rail-guns in a battleship??

Hahaha, when did that happen? I thought he was all for old school 18" guns.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Good news.  I'm concerned, however, that the pirates may take revenge on other sailors that they still hold hostage. 

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 04:43:33 PM
Good news.  I'm concerned, however, that the pirates may take revenge on other sailors that they still hold hostage.

That won't be very profitable would it?  I mean these guys are out to make cash not change the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Pirates need to be condemned to life in front of a firing squad.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

I don't know.  I think they're looking for ransom and that's about it.  And worrying about that can't, alas hold back a policy of confronting pirates.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2009, 04:50:14 PM

That won't be very profitable would it?  I mean these guys are out to make cash not change the world.
Easier to make cash when ship owners know that it's not just ransom on the line.

grumbler

"Revenge?"  Many of the pirates are probably pleased that members of a rival clan have been killed.

The main effect of this action is likely to be that the stumblebum pirates like this group will be discouraged, while the better-organized pirate gangs will take increased precautions against attack.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

French, Russian and other nations have fought/killed pirates also. So the pirates will operate as usual, taking precautions that they've been already doing anyway. Chalk another one up for the civilised world.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 12, 2009, 01:59:44 PM
Wait, wait, Neil wants to put rail-guns in a battleship??

Hahaha, when did that happen? I thought he was all for old school 18" guns.
Fuck no to both.  The 18" gun was ridiculous and unnecessary, making it impossible to work the deck during battle, and was very demanding in terms of structure.  Moreover, there's no reason to use such an overpowered weapon when there are no enemy vessels with any real armour.  A modern 14" gun would be perfectly adequate for coastal bombardment and sinking any vessels that a pirate might hijack.

As for the railgun, why use an expensive experimental system when existing technologies are perfectly adequate?  A combination of autocannons and guided missiles would be able to engage any enemy on land, sea or air, while armour plating would make it immune to any kind of conventional counterattack.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

I'm waiting for UNSC Resolution 2009 "Lex Gabinia"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DontSayBanana

:frusty: I was making a joke about defense contractors and subcontractors, guys.
Experience bij!