News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Somali piracy

Started by Scipio, April 10, 2009, 05:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 12, 2009, 09:35:14 PM
:frusty: I was making a joke about defense contractors and subcontractors, guys.
The idea that I would allow Tim-ism to pollute a dreadnought battleship is unfunny.  Patriotardism must be proscribed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Legbiter

Well, at least Obama wasn't cowed by the military might of four guys armed with AK's in a dinghy.

If the US navy starts frenching the pirate scum on a regular basis then Neil and garbon might have to change their minds about Obama.  :P
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

KRonn

Pirates vow revenge. So given that several other nations have killed pirates and freed hostages, I guess the Pirates have  a list of nations they don't like. Guess they aren't considering the contempt they're held in - they have over 200 hostages and many ships captured. What a mess.

As for this US hostage taking. I saw on the news that the pirates were only about 20 miles off the Somali coast, though the reporting may have been wrong since they had been a couple hundred and the boat supposedly had no fuel.

Anyhow, I'm sure US officials didn't want to let these guys get to shore, keep the hostage for how ever long, getting more propaganda for it in the bargain.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on April 13, 2009, 07:46:43 AM
Guess they aren't considering the contempt they're held in - they have over 200 hostages and many ships captured. What a mess.

Are these captured ships spread out all along the coast are they concentrated in a few ports?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2009, 08:16:42 AM
Guess they aren't considering the contempt they're held in - they have over 200 hostages and many ships captured. What a mess.

Are these captured ships spread out all along the coast are they concentrated in a few ports?
From news reports it looks like some are in ports and others anchored along the coast. I assume where ever the pirates have control and can wait out their ransom demands.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on April 13, 2009, 09:49:45 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2009, 08:16:42 AM

From news reports it looks like some are in ports and others anchored along the coast. I assume where ever the pirates have control and can wait out their ransom demands.
That's what I thought. Too bad, if they were concentrated in just a few places it might be possible to raid them all at once.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

As a pessimist I can only predict all of this will get worst before it gets any better, and I can only hope there is not a "Black Hack Down II".
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on April 12, 2009, 10:23:41 PM
Well, at least Obama wasn't cowed by the military might of four guys armed with AK's in a dinghy.

If the US navy starts frenching the pirate scum on a regular basis then Neil and garbon might have to change their minds about Obama.  :P
I think that if the French grow the balls to start frenching the pirate scum on a regular basis, then the US example will have meant something.  If the French go on paying ransoms, though, then the 100% US success rate will mean nothing, and Neil and garbon can avoid reconsidering their positions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2009, 10:09:24 AM
As a pessimist I can only predict all of this will get worst before it gets any better, and I can only hope there is not a "Black Hack Down II".
Yeah, I hope the US doesn't end up in a position where it takes down an entire Somali warlord and clan, inflicting kill ratios of between 30:1 and 70:1.  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2009, 11:58:14 AM
Yeah, I hope the US doesn't end up in a position where it takes down an entire Somali warlord and clan, inflicting kill ratios of between 30:1 and 70:1.  :huh:
And yet it was completely useless.  American soldiers got dragged through the streets, which ended the US ability to make war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2009, 11:54:39 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 12, 2009, 10:23:41 PM

I think that if the French grow the balls to start frenching the pirate scum on a regular basis, then the US example will have meant something.  If the French go on paying ransoms, though, then the 100% US success rate will mean nothing, and Neil and garbon can avoid reconsidering their positions.

Yeah, I was scratching my head on the "frenching" thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2009, 11:58:14 AM

Still a messy situation I hope we do not go back to. We already have enough "mess" to get out of.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2009, 12:45:50 PMStill a messy situation I hope we do not go back to. We already have enough "mess" to get out of.

I agree, but this strikes me as a problem that, since we have no desire to occupy Somalia for any reason, can be solved with a salvo or three of BLU-82s.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2009, 12:45:50 PMStill a messy situation I hope we do not go back to. We already have enough "mess" to get out of.

I agree, but this strikes me as a problem that, since we have no desire to occupy Somalia for any reason, can be solved with a salvo or three of BLU-82s.

I was thinking an Iowa-class from about two miles offshore, but that'll work too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2009, 01:10:53 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:59:01 PM

I was thinking an Iowa-class from about two miles offshore, but that'll work too.

Those things are pretty heavy.  Throwing an Iowa Class over two miles would take some doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017