News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Somali piracy

Started by Scipio, April 10, 2009, 05:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2009, 03:01:51 PM
Satellites can't see if they are fishing or pirating.

Neither can Indians, they sank a 'mother ship' that turned out to be a fishing boat being boarded by pirates.

Valmy

Zapp: "Good job everyone. The mothership is destroyed." (the real mothership is "decloaking" ) "What the hell is that?"
Kif: "It appears to be the mothership."
Zapp: "Then what did we just blow up?"
Kif: "The Hubble Telescope."
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: mongers on April 10, 2009, 03:23:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2009, 03:01:51 PM
Satellites can't see if they are fishing or pirating.

What I saw in 'Body of Lies' says you're wrong.  :P
Ya. Pick it out of the 30 trillion boats in the area. 
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 11:35:06 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/09/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4931970.shtml

Here's what our "nation of cowards" attorney general had to say:

QuoteIn reference to whether the pirates may face criminal charges in the United States, the attorney general said, "it is a little early tell, at this point. There has not been an act of piracy I think against a United States vessel in hundreds of years. So ah...I'm not sure exactly what would happen."

Wow, what can you say to ignorance of that magnitude. :mellow:
What's the ignorance?  I don't think piracy has been a big problem for quite some time.

It reminds me of the story about the Falklands.  Just after Argentina invaded the Foreign Office dispatched a crack team of bureaucrats to the National Archives to look through the papers for 1939 because no-one knew how to declare war :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2009, 04:25:39 PM

What's the ignorance?  I don't think piracy has been a big problem for quite some time.

It reminds me of the story about the Falklands.  Just after Argentina invaded the Foreign Office dispatched a crack team of bureaucrats to the National Archives to look through the papers for 1939 because no-one knew how to declare war :lol:
I'm not saying it's been a big problem, but there's no way that no American ships have been hijacked/robbed in the last two hundred years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 04:30:56 PM
I'm not saying it's been a big problem, but there's no way that no American ships have been hijacked/robbed in the last two hundred years.
Okay but surely it's not a common enough problem that the AG would immediately have an idea of what legal proceedings take place?  It's just like the war thing.  It's so rare for us to declare war (we authorise military actions now) that I don't know that anyone would know the procedure.

And, like the FCO boys down in Kew, it's just quite funny. 
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

On top of what Tim said, you would think they would have had a little time to start digging into it by the time he was asked.  Failing that, he could have at least given a better answer than he did.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Hopefully he giggled because he knew full well that US would take no prisoners.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 04:36:53 PM

On top of what Tim said, you would think they would have had a little time to start digging into it by the time he was asked.  Failing that, he could have at least given a better answer than he did.
Yeah, it's not like this problem just came out of nowhere, piracy has been exploding off of Somalia the last couple of years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 11:35:06 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/09/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4931970.shtml

Here's what our "nation of cowards" attorney general had to say:

QuoteIn reference to whether the pirates may face criminal charges in the United States, the attorney general said, "it is a little early tell, at this point. There has not been an act of piracy I think against a United States vessel in hundreds of years. So ah...I'm not sure exactly what would happen."

And 'Crazy Joe' Biden:

QuoteWe're not going to settle that here. I think what you should do is contact Jim Jones and the White House," he said referring journalists to the national security advisor.

These are the morons guiding our nation?  I hope that Jim Jones has the sense to say "String the fuckers up.  Pronto.  Preferably after we secure that American."
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 01:39:19 PM
I hope France arrests some pirates so we can call wherever they put them the "gulag of our time".
Already done.

The first step that needs to be taken is to make it an international crime for any corporation or individual to pay a ransom to pirates.  If a government does it, then their leader needs to be charged with a violation of the law.

It is payment of ransoms that drives this spate of crimes.  Stop the ransoms, and you stop most piracy.

Summary execution of pirates caught in the act is also warranted and allowed under international law; captains of naval vessels are almost always authorized by their equivalents of the UCMJ to conduct summary courts-martial, and piracy is a capital offense, just like mutiny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: mongers on April 10, 2009, 06:40:19 PM
All good stuff, but I suspect the moment a pirate it detained by the RN, he gains complete access to the European human rights conventions.
Even if that were true, the obvious solution is just to sink their ships and not rescue them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2009, 07:08:03 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 10, 2009, 06:40:19 PM
All good stuff, but I suspect the moment a pirate it detained by the RN, he gains complete access to the European human rights conventions.
Even if that were true, the obvious solution is just to sink their ships and not rescue them.
It might be true. A bit ago the Germans captured a few of the lowlife and they're now on trial under EU law :(.
Instead of just dropping and stopping them.
Promotion of a legal use of hemp as an added bonus.

jimmy olsen

The pirates have received reinforcements, fucking ballsy of them.  <_<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30162572/

1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2009, 08:06:02 AM
The pirates have received reinforcements, fucking ballsy of them.  <_<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30162572/

Ballsy but stupid. If some nation got some nads they could free most of the hostages held and kill off most of the pirates at one time.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher