News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Somali piracy

Started by Scipio, April 10, 2009, 05:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

I think we should kill the living shit out of them.  String them up.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

That's just the lawyer speaking. What does Scip think?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

We shouldn't kill them.  We should capture them and make them lead us to their buried treasure. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 06:42:00 AM
We shouldn't kill them.  We should capture them and make them lead us to their buried treasure. :)

Capture them, find out their home villages, and then liquidate the villages.

it is time to go old school on the third world.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2009, 07:00:27 AM

But what about the treasure?  If we don't make them lead us to it, we'll have another Oak Island on our hands.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 07:01:56 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2009, 07:00:27 AM

But what about the treasure?  If we don't make them lead us to it, we'll have another Oak Island on our hands.
Pfft, treasure. next, you'll be chasing after lepercauns and their lucky charms.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

They need to fly the skull and bones/cutlass if they won't any respect from me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on April 10, 2009, 05:47:08 AM
I think we should kill the living shit out of them.  String them up.

I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag, or wears a pirate brand, gets what he deserves: a short drop and a sudden stop.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

See, this is why Languish is so important.  Before this thread I was unaware that the Somalis had computers or MP3 players.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 07:01:56 AM
Dude, their boats are inflatable; how much treasure do you really think they've got floating around? If I was gonna take up piracy, I'd want to be no less armed than a brigantine or a man'o'war, so there's at least guns. If we were really trying for the dread pirate thing, I'd hijack a destroyer and fly the jolly roger. B)

The only reason they've been so successful is because most commercial shipping traffic is virtually totally unarmed.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

They should have to perform in a street theater rendition of the Muppets Treasure Island. FOREVER!
PDH!

Berkut

Seems like you could cut down on the kind of piracy we see today immensely with some relatively simple (read: cheap) lethal defensive systems.

I don't know if that would just make the pirates ratchet up the violence as well though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 08:52:09 AM
Seems like you could cut down on the kind of piracy we see today immensely with some relatively simple (read: cheap) lethal defensive systems.

I don't know if that would just make the pirates ratchet up the violence as well though.

I've been saying it since this started. We don't need 20 different navies patrolling the area in huge ships. The commercial ships just need to be allowed to have a couple of armed, trained personnel on board- the pirates' whole thing is that the cargo ships can't fire back.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 08:52:09 AM

Probably would.  But if it forced them to lay off US ships for awhile it would be worth it so long as the cost involved didn't outstrip the profits made in using those waters to transport goods.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 08:53:47 AM
I've been saying it since this started. We don't need 20 different navies patrolling the area in huge ships. The commercial ships just need to be allowed to have a couple of armed, trained personnel on board- the pirates' whole thing is that the cargo ships can't fire back.

Wait commercial ships are not allowed to defend themselves?  Not allowed by whom?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."