Somali piracy

Started by Scipio, April 10, 2009, 05:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

This is a job for Knight Boat!
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 08:54:52 AM
Wait commercial ships are not allowed to defend themselves?  Not allowed by whom?

OK. I worded that badly. Not equipped. And if they've got a false sense of security waiting for a big hulking destroyer to steam through the most congested naval traffic in the world, I believe that actually exacerbates the problem.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Well, at least the President is talking tough and reassuring the nation that he's dealing with the situation.

Oh wait, he's not :rolleyes:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUKN09285492

QuoteHe declined to comment on the pirate situation for the second day in a row on Thursday.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Well given Obama's heritage he's probably got a cousin who is a pirate or something.  :pirate
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 10, 2009, 08:58:55 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 08:58:14 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 10, 2009, 08:55:57 AM
:huh: What?
I don't wanna hear anything bad about the boat!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

EDIT: I hadn't seen the pic when I posted that. How did you make it scroll across the screen?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 09:00:16 AM
EDIT: I hadn't seen the pic when I posted that. How did you make it scroll across the screen?

Tip: hit the "quote" button & you'll see the code he used.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 10, 2009, 08:55:57 AM
Oh No! They're making a run for it on land!

Wait! Good thing there's a well-placed canal!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 08:53:47 AM
I've been saying it since this started. We don't need 20 different navies patrolling the area in huge ships. The commercial ships just need to be allowed to have a couple of armed, trained personnel on board- the pirates' whole thing is that the cargo ships can't fire back.

Wait commercial ships are not allowed to defend themselves?  Not allowed by whom?

There are insurance problems, and there are also problems with showing up in foreign ports with weapons in a lot of countries.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

Fuck foreign countries.  If they don't like our armed merhcantmen they will taste a screaming 18" broadside from one of our battleships.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on April 10, 2009, 09:15:26 AM
Fuck foreign countries.  If they don't like our armed merhcantmen they will taste a screaming 18" broadside from one of our battleships.

I'm sure we would beat down the EU countries that have a problem with gun ownership--no problem there. It's the insurance companies I'm worried about.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: alfred russel on April 10, 2009, 09:20:37 AM
I'm sure we would beat down the EU countries that have a problem with gun ownership--no problem there. It's the insurance companies I'm worried about.

Oh, god. The eSurance Trading Company. :bleeding:
Experience bij!