News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neptune's Pride

Started by FunkMonk, March 11, 2010, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on March 23, 2010, 12:00:07 PM
And Toni is putting up a pretty spirited defense himself - I've only managed to really take 2 decent planets from him, and they were both very exposed and not defensible by him. Otherwise I've just managed to be a nuisance snatching low value planets he has not defended. It is kind of fun to just snatch a planet, then split when the counter-invasion fleet appears to land on some other crappy planet.

A spirited defense, perhaps, but I see the hammer about to fall.  :D

Fireblade

Game #2: The Shituation

Okay, here's the legend. I can't zoom out all the way, and my mouse is broken so I have to use that pad on my laptop ( :yuk: ). So more the map got cut off. But at least it shows the most important parts.

Dark Red = Fireblade
Cyan = Katmai
Orange = Jaron (Partly off-map)
Red = FunkMonk
Yellow = Kleves
Blue = Berkut
Purple = Tamas (south of me)
Bright Green = DisturbedPervert (partly off-map)
Dark Green = Szmik
Brown = Agelastus
Pink = Grumbler (west of me)

frunk

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2010, 06:11:37 PM
Having interstellar travel is "unrealistic."  That doesn't mean that, within the game's conventions, there are not "realistic" elements that are completely negated by one player allowing  another to take him over out of spite for a third player.

What "realistic" elements are negated by one player allowing another to take him over?

Agelastus

Well, Ulmont's lost over 350 ships in the last day, but he's worn me down.  :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

ulmont

Quote from: Agelastus on March 24, 2010, 05:40:21 AM

Yay, Passchendaele.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on March 24, 2010, 12:33:11 AM
What "realistic" elements are negated by one player allowing another to take him over?
I withdraw my contention.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

I don't like the lack of randomness in battles. It wouldst appear that knowing the number of attackers and defenders gives a static mathematical result.

I dislike the "I must bring 21 ships minimum to win".
Winner of THE grumbler point.

szmik

Quote from: Jaron on March 24, 2010, 12:56:40 PM
I don't like the lack of randomness in battles. It wouldst appear that knowing the number of attackers and defenders gives a static mathematical result.

I dislike the "I must bring 21 ships minimum to win".

Then bring much more without maths :)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Jaron

It isn't the point, szmik. My point is I wish they introduced a bit of random numbers to their calculations to vary the results.

It would be like playing PoG without die rolls. Just assuming each attack is a 6.  :yuk:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

szmik

Quote from: Jaron on March 24, 2010, 01:09:20 PM
It isn't the point, szmik. My point is I wish they introduced a bit of random numbers to their calculations to vary the results.

It would be like playing PoG without die rolls. Just assuming each attack is a 6.  :yuk:
I got your point. It would need just slight change in engine, for example introducing to hit percentages which would rise with technology. Quite simple I guess, but probably more CPU demanding.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Berkut

Knowing that the combat system is deterministic, I have to wonder at the attacks some people launch...

You know my WS, so why would you ever send less than my WS at a star defended by 1 ship?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I think this game would be more interesting if everyone involved was actually participating.

Funk, is it possible to have a smaller game, perhaps, with people who are inclined to be active?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: Habbaku on March 24, 2010, 04:41:19 PM
I think this game would be more interesting if everyone involved was actually participating.

Funk, is it possible to have a smaller game, perhaps, with people who are inclined to be active?

I have enough "credits" left to make one more game. I don't mind using them to make another free game for you guys.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Agelastus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 24, 2010, 04:41:19 PM

Who's not participating? I thought only LaCroix had dropped out from all the players of the two games?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: ulmont on March 24, 2010, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 24, 2010, 05:40:21 AM

Yay, Passchendaele.

Well, I said I had a "western front" feel to our position, didn't I?  :)

Well, it also appears I have misjudged my staying power. I'll be wiped out in 12 more hours, rather than the 24 left from my estimate of yesterday.  :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be