News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 26, 2009, 06:18:10 PM
Command and Colors : Ancients has a hojillion expansions and is easily playable with the missus, if you're up for playing a block game.  The second expansion has some of Sertorius' men to kick around in it.

The core  game itself is OOP, but there's still tons of merchants that have it in stock from what I've seen.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 04:26:18 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 26, 2009, 06:18:10 PM
Command and Colors : Ancients has a hojillion expansions and is easily playable with the missus, if you're up for playing a block game.  The second expansion has some of Sertorius' men to kick around in it.

The core  game itself is OOP, but there's still tons of merchants that have it in stock from what I've seen.

GMT had some white box versions in stock as of last week.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 09:38:46 AM
MT had some white box versions in stock as of last week.

Bet your buddy Dr. Gates wouldn't buy one.

Lettow77

Gallic war repeatedly refers to itself as a game between the Roman player and the..German

Such a heinous offense, I decided against trying it.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:18:54 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 09:38:46 AM
MT had some white box versions in stock as of last week.

Bet your buddy Dr. Gates wouldn't buy one.

Course not.  Ancients aren't his thing.  He only plays postmodern.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Actually there are a number of professors at Harvard and MIT who are consimmers. B)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2009, 06:16:34 PM
I spazzed out and ordered SPQR and War Galley.  :blush:

I got a package. Time to rub the numbers off the Scipio counter during our alone time.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Got Rome at War: Queen of the Celts for 75% off retail. I will rape the Boudicca counter.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

Command and Colours (sic) is a good game :thumbsup:
humans were created in their own image

Delirium

My gaming partner just received APTO and AOI to go with AETO. We're planning a combined/conjoined game starting in -35 in Abbesinia, moving on to -36 in Spain, -37 in China then -39 for the whole shebang. See you in four years time.

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/adv_pacific_theater.html
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on August 14, 2009, 11:22:35 AM
My gaming partner just received APTO and AOI to go with AETO. We're planning a combined/conjoined game starting in -35 in Abbesinia, moving on to -36 in Spain, -37 in China then -39 for the whole shebang. See you in four years time.

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/adv_pacific_theater.html

How's the APTO production value?  Is it pretty?

Delirium

It is, mostly because AETO looked like crap.

The rule books have improved dramatically (although they're still remarkably chaotic in content at least now they don't make you nauseous when you read them). Map is nice and counter art is slightly improved. The charts now look professional and there's a nice summary of air unit capacity and status. The OOB cards are still a nightmare.

Overall I'd say this is a game that is worth buying but if you never had to experience AETO you wouldn't rate it as high as I do.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on August 15, 2009, 03:17:09 AMOverall I'd say this is a game that is worth buying but if you never had to experience AETO you wouldn't rate it as high as I do.

Never been impressed with Decision Games' production value, except recently.  War In The Pacific and Wacht Am Rhein notable exceptions.

The Brain

I bought A Touch Of Evil. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35815

I am not sure why they bother with an original music CD (just like in Last Night On Earth), but the game itself should be cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.