Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 17, 2009, 10:20:29 PM
Two weeks until WBC.

Historicon is today.
Driving up to Lancaster, gonna see what grumbler is up to.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 17, 2009, 10:20:29 PM
Two weeks until WBC.

:lol:  By the way, I love the team logo.

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 07:26:47 AM

Driving up to Lancaster, gonna see what grumbler is up to.

Say hello.

Are you buying or, you know, playing now?  :huh:

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 08:29:02 AM

:D  Team name was my idea, but the logo is all Burdett's work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on July 18, 2009, 12:31:03 PM
Say hello.

Saw grumbler, doing well as ever;  unfortunately, a sudden issue with his People's Car sullied his expo experience a bit.

Spent a pissload of money today.  Man, if I had a wife, she'd be pissed, and would bludgeon me with the book I bought from grumbler.

Bought Atlantic Navies, since they're retooling the Command at Sea rules to adhere to the Admiralty Trilogy better.

Ordered a copy of Tanker War, which will be a fantastic resource for my ongoing work on US foreign policy in the Gulf since the Carter Doctrine.

Just for shits and giggles, I bought a miniatures rules system based loosely on Egyptian mythology, WarGods, mainly because I'm a closeted Egyptologist, and the salesgirl was a cute Brit brunette.

But the haul of the day was picking up The Hell of Stalingrad, after playing a few demo rounds with the designer, Steve Cunliffe--who I promptly smoked, 2-0.

Man, what a great fucking game.  At first I thought it would be a chromed up version of Up Front! from back in the day, but I was wrong.  It's so much better.  Fluid, fast, assymetrical and side-specific game mechanics, gorgeous production value...a total and complete blast to play.   I was hooked.  My buddy Joey and I played a few rounds when we got back, had tons of laughs.  I mean, the Soviet player can actually improve his side's value during the round by executing his own troops.  How fucking cool is that? 

I highly recommend this game.  Totally and completely playable.

The first game in the War Is Hell card game series, Steve showed me prototype components of the next one they're already playtesting, Midway.  Even showed me the F2A Buffalo card.  Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 18, 2009, 01:17:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 08:29:02 AM

:D  Team name was my idea, but the logo is all Burdett's work.

I'll probably be stopping by up there sometime to check out the dealers, maybe the auction.  Maybe we can score dinner one night.

Syt

Did you pick up any solitaire games? :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2009, 11:03:46 PM

They're all solitaire games here at the bunker.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 11:22:11 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2009, 11:03:46 PM

They're all solitaire games here at the bunker.

Allow me to rephrase: did you get any games that were designed for solitaire play?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2009, 11:43:58 PM
Allow me to rephrase: did you get any games that were designed for solitaire play?

Nope.

Norgy

Seedy really needs a visit from me PeeDee and me.

We'll bring anti-tank mines and Molotovs.

Syt

Seedy, you know how sad it is to buy boardgames you'll never play?

That's as if I was buying books, computer games or DVDs and never used them.

Oh, wait.

:blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 10:16:00 PM
Say hello.

Just for shits and giggles, I bought a miniatures rules system based loosely on Egyptian mythology, WarGods, mainly because I'm a closeted Egyptologist, and the salesgirl was a cute Brit brunette.

I got that recently on a whim. Have just started reading it (I read the rules I buy). Good value I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 19, 2009, 06:16:44 AM
Say hello.

I got that recently on a whim. Have just started reading it (I read the rules I buy). Good value I think.

Yeah, I thought it was quite an interesting subject, and as far as minis rules go, it looks very digestible.
Of course, I'm all about the Basti, baby.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2009, 06:24:00 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 19, 2009, 06:16:44 AM
Say hello.

Yeah, I thought it was quite an interesting subject, and as far as minis rules go, it looks very digestible.
Of course, I'm all about the Basti, baby.

I'm more of an Anubi person myself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.