News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I've done some further investigation, and I've found that Britain's colonies produce twice the tariff income for the same good produced compared to mine, even with similar base tax values.  Oh, I'm so, so fucked.  :bleeding:

Habbaku

Playing the martyr isn't going to convince anyone that your position is awful, DG, no matter how hard you try it.

Though your tech is crimped, your naval tech is comparable to Britain's and that's really all you need.  You have no real threats on land because of that.  I couldn't touch you if I tried.  The only thing that you can really be fucked by is a concerted campaign by the French on land or a slug-out with Britain on the seas and in India.

If I were Katmai, I'd be hammering you in Italy right now.  I have no idea why he's so docile...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Start of session

End of session

This will be my last statement as Regent of the Holy Roman Empire.  I am also very happy to be able to hand the country off with such a strong alliance with the Kingdom of Russia.

I agree that the Turks are a menace that needs to be dealt with by the Christian powers.

However, it is a bit difficult to see the colonizing powers continue to use one hand to point out the threat that the Ottoman Empire and The Holy Roman Empire pose to world while they use the other hand to grab chunks of land the size of which would get either Empire gang-banged in a heartbeat. 

With that I take my leave and leave things in the hands of the new Emperor.

sbr

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2010, 02:18:01 AM
If I were Katmai, I'd be hammering you in Italy right now.  I have no idea why he's so docile...

They are allied.

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on April 08, 2010, 02:24:37 AM

They are allied.

Alliances mean nothing when you aren't benefiting from the alliance.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Playing the martyr isn't going to convince anyone that your position is awful, DG, no matter how hard you try it.

Though your tech is crimped, your naval tech is comparable to Britain's and that's really all you need.  You have no real threats on land because of that.  I couldn't touch you if I tried.  The only thing that you can really be fucked by is a concerted campaign by the French on land or a slug-out with Britain on the seas and in India.

My position is not awful right now.  However, my prospects are awful, I'm on an irreversible slide backwards.  I know, because I've done it more than once against the AI.  Once you fall into the trap, the things you can do to get out of the trap are made much more difficult by being in the trap.  The problem compounds itself.  To increase my income/province ratio, I need to up my production and trading techs, and doing that is very hard because my tech is so gimped.  It's a vicious circle.

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on April 08, 2010, 02:23:33 AM
Start of session

End of session

This will be my last statement as Regent of the Holy Roman Empire.  I am also very happy to be able to hand the country off with such a strong alliance with the Kingdom of Russia.

I agree that the Turks are a menace that needs to be dealt with by the Christian powers.

However, it is a bit difficult to see the colonizing powers continue to use one hand to point out the threat that the Ottoman Empire and The Holy Roman Empire pose to world while they use the other hand to grab chunks of land the size of which would get either Empire gang-banged in a heartbeat. 

With that I take my leave and leave things in the hands of the new Emperor.
Nobody has any doubts that I have a shitload of provinces.  However, as I already said, not all provinces are equal, and province count is a major liability in itself.  Colonizing Argentina was a major blunder on my part, although I would've been in trouble even without doing it.  Having a large portion of the map painted yellow will not help me if I'm quickly becoming the Sick Man of the World.

katmai

I must say Turks are doing bang up job of trying to keep heat off of them by playing up the " threat" of my Catholic cousins in Spain.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2010, 02:41:20 AM
I must say Turks are doing bang up job of trying to keep heat off of them by playing up the " threat" of my Catholic cousins in Spain.

Damn Turks :mad:

DGuller

Yeah, I was going to say that.  They "only" have as much income as me, they have 19 more manufacturies (+95 in hidden income), only half as many provinces and in one contiguous landmass, and are 11 years ahead of the research curve.  Obviously I'm the one who's a threat to the balance of power in the world.

katmai

And must say the Austrian- Russian alliance is interesting.
The Hungarians are screwed.
Wowbthe Dutch are some global trotting fools as is Scandinavia.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

I know i said I was done but I forgot one thing.  I conquered one province this session; that was Berg which we made clear we were going to take.  Besides that I was at war with Bavaria twice and Hungary once and took a grand total of 0 provinces.

Berkut

Yeah, the Turks are far and away the front runners still. It is really quite obscene - his early super-rulers have allowed him to completely evade the normal Eastern checks, while at the same time enjoying the benefits of being an Eastern, rather than Western, power - namely, no other Western powers to contend with, even ignoring the other players.

It is like someone went and edited the scenario file to place Austria in Constantinople. One contiguous land mass, western tech and armies, no western opposition to his expansion, and his targets are all low tech chumps he can (and has) simply rolled right over. His size is actually not even indicative on that map, since he has a ton of vassals all driving his tech. The only thing limiting him is, what, infamy? Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Then, to toss a cherry on top of the Ottoman cake, Russia is NOT westernized, not contesting any territory, and has ceded all the traditionally contested territory to the Turk with nary a peep, so even THAT "traditional" check is gone. Of course, at this point, there isn't anything Russia could do anyway - the Turks could crush Russia without even breaking a sweat, I imagine, and that has been true for a long time, so you can't really blame Kleves even.

At this point, there is nothing the HRE could possibly do to make me even bat an eye. Viking's insistence on alienating everyone has driven the HRE far enough behind the curve that I will be cheering any advances they can make while I desperately try to do something to catch up with the Turks, even though I know it is futile. I have the same tech problems that Spain has, but am not really sure what else I should be doing - not expanding? Would that really be better, if I just didn't spread in NA or try to get some tiny slice of India?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 02:47:51 AM
Yeah, I was going to say that.  They "only" have as much income as me, they have 19 more manufacturies (+95 in hidden income), only half as many provinces and in one contiguous landmass, and are 11 years ahead of the research curve.  Obviously I'm the one who's a threat to the balance of power in the world.

While I agree with you, your rather aggressive expansion has in fact made it a debate as to who the biggest threat is, when before there clearly was no debate.

Again, I don't know what you could, or should, have done differently though. Would NOT expanding really be better? Probably in some particular areas (SA), but its not like if only you had 8 less provinces in crappy SA you would be at 30 land tech like the Ottomans.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 02:14:49 AM
I've done some further investigation, and I've found that Britain's colonies produce twice the tariff income for the same good produced compared to mine, even with similar base tax values.  Oh, I'm so, so fucked.  :bleeding:

It's the Protestant work ethic.

0 rows returned