News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Kleves

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2010, 07:38:04 AM
Then, to toss a cherry on top of the Ottoman cake, Russia is NOT westernized, not contesting any territory, and has ceded all the traditionally contested territory to the Turk with nary a peep, so even THAT "traditional" check is gone. Of course, at this point, there isn't anything Russia could do anyway - the Turks could crush Russia without even breaking a sweat, I imagine, and that has been true for a long time, so you can't really blame Kleves even.
Well, in my defense:
1) The point at which I was strongest vis-a-vis the Ottomans was probably during the great anti-Viking war. I did not fight the Ottomans then, because the HRE seemed the greater threat. Joing the Turks secured me the Ukraine and half of the Crimea (you sure it was only half, Habs?), both of which were Ottoman allies/vassals. Perhaps I should have driven a harder bargain, here.

2) Last session I was crippled by regencies, which prevented my from opening Siberia, or grabbing some of my western cores, which thus became my primary goals this session.

3) Russia entered last night with low legitimacy, high infamy, overextension, and a decade of regency still to go. I am a great deal more secure and stable (and Westernized) leaving the session.

All of which is to say: yeah, I probably made a bunch of mistakes.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Would it be possible to get the tech/army screens, by the way?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

Quote from: Kleves on April 08, 2010, 09:30:44 AM
Would it be possible to get the tech/army screens, by the way?

Sorry, it is just too depressing, can't be done.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: ulmont on April 08, 2010, 08:29:40 AM
Can someone post a link to the save?

Quote from: KlevesWould it be possible to get the tech/army screens, by the way?

Coming up.

JonasSalk

Yuman

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2010, 08:11:42 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 02:14:49 AM
I've done some further investigation, and I've found that Britain's colonies produce twice the tariff income for the same good produced compared to mine, even with similar base tax values.  Oh, I'm so, so fucked.  :bleeding:

It's the Protestant work ethic.

Better NIs, yes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2010, 12:29:11 PM
I've done some further investigation, and I've found that Britain's colonies produce twice the tariff income for the same good produced compared to mine, even with similar base tax values.  Oh, I'm so, so fucked.  :bleeding:

Better NIs, yes.
That's only a small part of it (in hindsight I picked the wrong idea last time around).  After the session, I experimented with making some changes, and the Viceroy NI didn't move me up that much in tariff income.  The killer advantage of the Brits are their trade and production efficiencies, which are ways ahead of my own.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 12:42:11 PM

Better NIs, yes.
That's only a small part of it (in hindsight I picked the wrong idea last time around).  After the session, I experimented with making some changes, and the Viceroy NI didn't move me up that much in tariff income.  The killer advantage of the Brits are their trade and production efficiencies, which are ways ahead of my own.

Going Protestant gives you +10% PE and +10% National Tax.  I figured the loss you took on the colonization side would make it hard for one of the colonizers to go that way though.

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on April 08, 2010, 12:57:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2010, 12:42:11 PM

Better NIs, yes.

Going Protestant gives you +10% PE and +10% National Tax.  I figured the loss you took on the colonization side would make it hard for one of the colonizers to go that way though.

Like I said, Protestant work ethic.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2010, 07:40:33 AM
Again, I don't know what you could, or should, have done differently though. Would NOT expanding really be better? Probably in some particular areas (SA), but its not like if only you had 8 less provinces in crappy SA you would be at 30 land tech like the Ottomans.

Quick expansion is not as good as consolidation.  Spending all of your money colonizing and none of it building improvements to your existing provinces is what's killing your tech.  A continental European country with a plethora of manufacturies will always be higher-tech than someone who has half the world painted their color but who's provinces are all floating in the teens or low 20s in income.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

But I am consolidating - just about all my provinces that are not brand new colonies or conquests are pretty maxed out in buildings and such. I don't have 90 manufactories though - nowhere near that kind of cash.

Is that what it all comes down to - spamming insane number of manufactories?

In general I try not to expand if it means I cannot pretty quickly

1. Build basic buildings one after another in whatever chunk I just grabbed, then
2. Convert whatever it is I just grabbed.

I try not to take on more than will allow me to do those things, which generally limits my grabs to chunks of 5 or so provinces at most at once. Which is fine, since more just drives infamy too high anyway.

I am beginning to think that perhaps I worry to much about infamy though.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Except that you don't have constables in quite a large amount of provinces, so...no, you don't have your stuff maxed out.  And no, it isn't about spamming manufacturies at all--it's about stable, progressive growth rather than rapid expansion into a bunch of areas that will only be worth something after ~30 years.  I will note that not having had an Admin-7 monarch the whole game (at least, I don't think you've had one) has hurt you a good degree, and there's rather little short of becoming a Republic that you can do about that.

In comparison to Spain, however, England might as well be in the 20th century.  The Spanish have really shot themselves in the foot.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2010, 02:22:45 PM
I am beginning to think that perhaps I worry to much about infamy though.

If you're making a lot of your money from foreign-owned CoTs, then your infamy needs to stay low.  Otherwise, ignore it up to your infamy cap.

-J. R. R. Tolkien