News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: katmai on March 24, 2010, 12:53:04 AM
Fight!,fight!,fight!

It's bad enough that he has already crossed the line between our agreed spheres of influence twice.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Hungary: stearing up shit since time immemorial? :D

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2010, 01:09:31 AM
Quote from: katmai on March 24, 2010, 12:53:04 AM
Fight!,fight!,fight!

It's bad enough that he has already crossed the line between our agreed spheres of influence twice.
Can't we all just get along?

Kleves

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 23, 2010, 08:10:18 PM
I'll be playing tomorrow, but I'm flexible as to which country if Kleves got too attached.
Well, I'll take Russia then.  :P
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

What do you guys think about using a Vent server for commo during the game?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I think I could do without Viking's heavy breathing and lack of English-speaking, but otherwise I'm fine with it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Not a fan of VoIP stuff.  Text is almost always the more efficient way to communicate over the Internet.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2010, 01:56:19 PM
Not a fan of VoIP stuff.  Text is almost always the more efficient way to communicate over the Internet.

How can typing with your fingers be "more efficient" than speaking and hearing?

Text fucking sucks as a way of communicating within any game. My fingers are busy doing other things.

0 rows returned

Berkut

I freaking hate having to try to keep an eye on the damn chat window, or trying to make any kind of deal in real time via typing, and managing who you are sending the message to, and all that.

It would be so much easier to just use voice chat.

0 rows returned

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2010, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2010, 01:56:19 PM

How can typing with your fingers be "more efficient" than speaking and hearing?

Text fucking sucks as a way of communicating within any game. My fingers are busy doing other things.
It's much faster, and you can take your time reading it instead of having one go at comprehending what was said.  That goes double for EU games, because you don't actually need the keyboard for controlling anything.

Berkut

You need more than one go to comprehend spoken words?

And you can type faster than you can talk? Or read faster than you can hear?

And no, in EU3, you CANNOT take your time reading anything, because it scrolls off the chat window very quickly. I don't see half of the stuff that gets blabbed about.

There is a reason people who game in any kid of semi-serious manner use voice communications. Your mouth and ears are not doing anything while gaming otherwise, and your hands most certainly are. Kleves is apparently doing some other things that don't really help with communication or game playing, but I think we all suspected that...

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2010, 02:21:56 PM
You need more than one go to comprehend spoken words?
Sometimes, when I'm not paying full attention to the person speaking.
QuoteAnd you can type faster than you can talk?
Probably not, but it's close enough.
QuoteOr read faster than you can hear?
Definitely yes on that, not even close.

Berkut

OK, it is true that I can read faster than someone speaks to me - but I am pretty sure that they cannot type faster than I can listen, so that actually doesn't matter.

But the point is that hearing requires no attention - it is completely passive, it happens even if you aren't looking at the chat window. And speaking requires no effort of anything that is busy doing something else.

You cannot rationally claim that typing in a chat window is "more efficient" than simply speaking. There must be some other reason.

Do you refuse to speak to people in person as well, and just jot notes to them instead? Since that is every so much more "efficient" than these pesky spoken words that people seem so attached to?

Weird. Anyway, can't make anyone speak if they don't want to I guess.

0 rows returned