News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I guess a voice server could be fun for our sunday game as well. at least it would beat the common chat hiding the map from me :P and you could laugh at my accent while I hurl insults your way :P

Habbaku

I will cry the first time that Tamas calls me a beet-farmer or a Gypsy as if it were the worst insult ever.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on March 24, 2010, 01:44:26 PM
I think I could do without Viking's heavy breathing and lack of English-speaking, but otherwise I'm fine with it.

:glare:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

The only negative I could see to using Vent for EU3 is it might make the emodrama that much greater, and apparently, there is way too much of that already in some of these games.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Thus far, this group has been pretty drama-free and I don't see much of a probability of it striking us.  Then again, I didn't see Slargos as being the first to bitch-quit our other game, so take my prescience for what you will.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2010, 02:45:28 PM
But the point is that hearing requires no attention - it is completely passive, it happens even if you aren't looking at the chat window.  And speaking requires no effort of anything that is busy doing something else.
It just doesn't work that way for me, and I never considered myself unique.  I zone out if I don't make the effort of listening to what is being said.
QuoteYou cannot rationally claim that typing in a chat window is "more efficient" than simply speaking. There must be some other reason.
I always found it much more convenient, I'm not sure why that sounds so strange to you.  To me reading is the much more effortless task.  When I didn't speak English well, I found it way, way easier to follow close captions on TV than to actually follow the spoken words.  I still do to some extent.  As for other reasons, people who don't know me sometimes have difficulty understanding my accent, that may also make the conversation require more effort.
QuoteDo you refuse to speak to people in person as well, and just jot notes to them instead? Since that is every so much more "efficient" than these pesky spoken words that people seem so attached to?
In person is different.  I prefer to speak in person, but if that's not possible, I prefer instant messaging over the phone conversation.  It's just too much effort to listen to the other person when their voice is all there is to the communication.  Don't know why, just is.  Maybe my personal preferences are not as representative as I thought there were, so I withdraw my general comment about efficiency.

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2010, 02:08:21 PM
I freaking hate having to try to keep an eye on the damn chat window, or trying to make any kind of deal in real time via typing, and managing who you are sending the message to, and all that.

It would be so much easier to just use voice chat.

Yes, sometimes the chat window is concealed, agreed.

Making deals? I don't think that it's any problem. Doing the deals between sessions works fine for me and negotiation using the chat function is fine.

Managing messages would be just as hard using VOIP, harder even since you have to alt-tab out of the game, change from general chat to personal chat.. all the while I could be declaring war and landing a large army in england while you are out of the game.

I haven't used ventrilo, but feel the need to do so at least one session just to show I can actually speak english.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Hansmeister

I don't even have a mic for my computer so I will spare everyone the sound of my voice.

So which country should I play.  I like Hungary, but I have the feeling I'd be rapidy crushed between Austria and the turks.  Otherwise, unifying Italy might be interesting.

Alcibiades

That's alright, I wont play.   :)

Khorosan does sound interesting though.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 24, 2010, 06:02:06 PM
I don't even have a mic for my computer so I will spare everyone the sound of my voice.

So which country should I play.  I like Hungary, but I have the feeling I'd be rapidy crushed between Austria and the turks.  Otherwise, unifying Italy might be interesting.
You better stay out of Italy, trust me on that one.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2010, 07:00:57 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 24, 2010, 06:02:06 PM

You better stay out of Italy, trust me on that one.

AI Aragon owns too much of it for spain not to get involved. Rest is either nerfed, vassalized or soon to be conquered.

Kleves

I don't have a mic, so I am of DGuller's persuasion on the chat issue.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Big dramatic session there.

Pre-session Austria had done quite a bit of diplomacy.

Russia (kleves) said, don't care what you do in germany, just leave russia and lithania to me

France (katmai) said, you can form the HRE in exchange for 7 provinces

Spain (dguller) said, you can for the HRE in exchange for 9 provinces

Turkey (habbaku) said, I agree to the 1815 border being our zones of control

Kleves made no demands, just declared, katmai declared BEFORE I had enough time to cede him the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th provinces, dguller remained allied, but made a special deal to not fight in exchange for not being attacked and Habbaku brazenly invaded bufferzone hungary despite already having taken transylvania and ragusa on my side of the 1815 buffer line.

So I was attacked by Russia, Turkey, France and England and assraped being forced to give away half (40) my provinces. I must point out that Slargos did ragequit for much less.

In the first half of the war I was attacked on all sides and beat back the invaders on all sides. France was invaded and beaten and surrendered. The turks were defeated and pushed into the sea. Needless to say all of this fighting didn't give me more than 20% Army tradition. I'll have to find out, do I still have the tradition malus?

I lost the netherlands, modern germany and lots of land in italy about 40 provinces including the lübeck and genoa centers of trade.

What ultimately got me, were two things, first, the ottoman leaders. I could sit on a mountain, with high quality high morale troops be attacked by equal numbers consisting of 50% cavalry and have him break me every fucking time. Army Tradition. I started the wars at 0 because of the Ewiger Landesfrieden -3% (iirc) tradition malus. That meant my WE jumped up. Which meant that it took me a year to recruit a regiment of infantry. Just before the collapse, I had recruitment going on in EVERY SINGLE PROVINCE I had and still I had 3500 in the bank and 250k manpower. I was building like a madman during the French truce. But I had the WE then even. I tried to build a fleet to get rid of the ottoman galleys blocading my italian coast, but they took 1200 days to build. By the time they were finished, Berkut was blocading them with the full English Fleet.

Now the Habbaku is warning me and guaranteeding loads of German Minors, while the rest are free to annex cossacks, aztecs, cherokee and indians. 

DGuller

For the record, I made the deal only after you told me before the game that I didn't need to fight.  The deal with Habakku wasn't really a deal, but more of an understanding, in light of my own understanding that I didn't need to get militarily involved.