Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Now I'm sad I didn't buy it at 33% off :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2013, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2013, 06:49:22 AM
Yay - made it to 1888, when I ran into a repeatable crash. Turns out there's an issue with archeologists.  <_<

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12599496&posted=1#post12599496

Apparently, there can be issues when digging up something that doesn't belong to anyone, esp. when playing as America/Washington.

Hmm...does that mean I cancel the dig and stop that? I got a repeatable crash too. :angry:

Yeah, cancel the dig in no man's land and you should be fine. Wait till that area gets assimilated by some other culture, then it works. What civ were you playing as?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The new additions (culture overhaul, trade) are great for a player like me who usually goes the non-violent route. However, this time I'm on a map with likeminded AI, it appears. Songhai, Netherlands, Korea, Assyria, Arabia, Brazil, Portugal. Portugal got killed off - hey founded colonies near Songhai, which those didn't like. Then they got stomped by the Authoritarian Assyrians. The Assyrians are the only ones regularly stirring shit up, currently in a war against Netherlands and Korea. Arabia has the tech lead (and hosts the Mecca Congress), while I'm focusing on culture and exporting American culture to the world (hosting International Games helps). I've maxes Liberty, Commerce and Aesthetics, have 11 cities (an unusually large number for me), and 8 tenets in the Freedom ideology tree.

I tried to get my Tengri religion elected as world religion, but I fell short two votes. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Korea

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 14, 2013, 07:13:27 AM
Quote from: Korea on July 14, 2013, 12:59:54 AM
Really fucking hate the barbarian spawn rate in BNW. I can't focus on the liberty tree and improving my civ because I have to spend so much time destroying barbarians for the first 100 turns. It's just annoying.

It caught me by surprise in my first couple of test games. I actually like it. I usually never bothered hunting down barbarian camps and only built a skeletal early game army but now I'm finding it pretty fun to build up raiding parties and go barb hunting. I'm curious to see what Raging Barbarians plays like now.

I just always hated the fighting part of Civ. I hate going to war. I just want to build up a big beautiful civilization. :( I feel like they hinder me way too much in the beginning because I have to focus on making troops before I can make settlers or workers or other improvements.
I want my mother fucking points!

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2013, 10:26:59 AM
I've maxes Liberty, Commerce and Aesthetics,
There seems to be less reason to max out the various SP trees now that they don't count for cultural victory anymore.

Quotehave 11 cities (an unusually large number for me),
What map size do you play on? I usually play standard these days and after 3-4 cities for each civilization, the whole map is full except for some spots for late game colonies.

Quoteand 8 tenets in the Freedom ideology tree.
I really like that system. One thing I couldn't tell was whether those tenets are exclusive like the religious ones or whether you can pick all of them even if another civ has already taken some.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2013, 10:26:59 AM
I've maxes Liberty, Commerce and Aesthetics,
There seems to be less reason to max out the various SP trees now that they don't count for cultural victory anymore.
Yes, I went for ones that made sense, gameplay-wise for me.

Quotehave 11 cities (an unusually large number for me),
What map size do you play on? I usually play standard these days and after 3-4 cities for each civilization, the whole map is full except for some spots for late game colonies.
Normal, 8 civs. With the liberty tree the spread it's pretty manageable. 4 of the cities are colonies from industrial/modern era.

Quoteand 8 tenets in the Freedom ideology tree.
I really like that system. One thing I couldn't tell was whether those tenets are exclusive like the religious ones or whether you can pick all of them even if another civ has already taken some.
[/quote]
I think it's free for all, not like religions. I also maxed the religion tree to get the reformation trait that "Holy Sites" (or similar) so my faith bought buildings (pagodas) add to my tourism.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2013, 10:14:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2013, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2013, 06:49:22 AM
Yay - made it to 1888, when I ran into a repeatable crash. Turns out there's an issue with archeologists.  <_<

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12599496&posted=1#post12599496

Apparently, there can be issues when digging up something that doesn't belong to anyone, esp. when playing as America/Washington.

Hmm...does that mean I cancel the dig and stop that? I got a repeatable crash too. :angry:

Yeah, cancel the dig in no man's land and you should be fine. Wait till that area gets assimilated by some other culture, then it works. What civ were you playing as?

Americans. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Woah, good thing I read this thread.  I'm playing a very challenging game as Americans right now.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

DGuller

Argh, in my American game, my cities are mostly inland, so I have to use caravans to ship food, and I have my first real complaint about the game.  Those fucking camels are just all over the place, and to say that the game map is cluttered as fuck is to be very unfair to fuck.  At least cargo ships sail around the water tiles, which you mostly ignore except during naval warfare, and they don't have the heavily trafficked road/railroad tiles.

Zanza

What difficulty level do you guys play?

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 02:55:23 PM
What difficulty level do you guys play?
My first game was a 4, then I bumped it up to 5 for the next two games.  I usually play on 6, once I'm familiar with the game mechanics.

Kleves

I usually play 5, but my last game another civ made it to Medieval in like 2000BC or something stupid, so I dropped it to 4.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Is there an easy way to find archaeological artifacts (or any resource, for that matter)?  Surely turning on resource icons and scanning the map manually can't be the best solution?

garbon

Quote from: Korea on July 14, 2013, 11:09:43 AM
I just always hated the fighting part of Civ. I hate going to war. I just want to build up a big beautiful civilization. :( I

What a girl.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.