And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on July 11, 2013, 02:16:48 AM
:rolleyes:

Yes I am enjoying the new features, but I think one of the big drawbacks of the trade system is that I am in the 1500s on a normal map and turn resolution is as sluggish as if it was in the 20th century already.

soo.. for those of us who can't run sensible AI turn times on large maps this seems like a recommendation to upgrade the rig before upgrading civV?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Civ 5 was simply a game I couldn't really get into. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Brave New World is 33% off on Steam for the next 4 hours.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Eh? A sale on the third day? That's a bit off-putting if you bought the game at full or even pre-order price...

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2013, 10:10:33 AM
Eh? A sale on the third day? That's a bit off-putting if you bought the game at full or even pre-order price...

Especially on the day that the game goes live in Europe. Assholes. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

The Steam sales establish a new expectation of a low price for most games for me. I rarely ever buy anything there at full price anymore. I wonder if those rebates are a good long-term strategy.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on July 11, 2013, 08:42:14 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 11, 2013, 02:16:48 AM
:rolleyes:

Yes I am enjoying the new features, but I think one of the big drawbacks of the trade system is that I am in the 1500s on a normal map and turn resolution is as sluggish as if it was in the 20th century already.

soo.. for those of us who can't run sensible AI turn times on large maps this seems like a recommendation to upgrade the rig before upgrading civV?

probably. The long turn-times were starting to annoy me.

The expansion definietly worth it if you enjoy Civ5, it makes the game better in a lot of ways. But it is still Civ5, so if you found the game too boring or bad to play before, it is unlikely that this DLC would be the tipping point for you.

DGuller

I never understood the gripes about Civ V.  I think it's the best game of the series, and it's made even better with this expansion.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2013, 11:32:20 AM
I never understood the gripes about Civ V.  I think it's the best game of the series, and it's made even better with this expansion.

My only gripe, and it was the same with all games in the series, is that AI resolution of turns in the end game takes forever long.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 11:35:41 AM

My only gripe, and it was the same with all games in the series, is that AI resolution of turns in the end game takes forever long.
That I don't get either.  My four year old PC manages just fine (though is has an SSD in it, so maybe that speeds it along).

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2013, 11:37:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 11:35:41 AM

That I don't get either.  My four year old PC manages just fine (though is has an SSD in it, so maybe that speeds it along).

Well I'm on the low end of the specs right now (till I get my new machine) but like I said - it's a problem I recall having even back with Civ2.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Now that I think about it, I rarely play on large maps, since I feel like the gameplay is dragging on those.  I think standard map size works best at creating the right pace for the game to develop.  Larger maps would definitely stress the resources more.

Syt

Anyways, I've learned my lesson today. I will never, ever pre-order anything on Steam again, even if there's a pre-order discount; esp. if release might coincide with major sale. I will only buy games that are on sale from here on out. Unfortunately I've already pre-ordered EU4 and Rome2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

I've had Civ5 for a while, but only played a little. Probably just didn't put the time into the game. Lately I've been playing more and liking it a lot, especially the handling of combat and the much fewer combat units needed, no stacks. Speeds up the game, especially end game, since I'm not trying to move and manage all those units. In previous games end game can become not fun. I like the policy idea, and more. I think it's a very worthy successor to the ones that came before it.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2013, 12:59:03 PM
Anyways, I've learned my lesson today. I will never, ever pre-order anything on Steam again, even if there's a pre-order discount; esp. if release might coincide with major sale. I will only buy games that are on sale from here on out. Unfortunately I've already pre-ordered EU4 and Rome2.

Yeah