News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2013, 07:20:01 AM
Brave New World is 33% off on Steam for the next 4 hours.

Wtf, they made it cheaper than for preordering?

Syt

Yeah, and there's some indignation on the forums about it. I can kind of see it for 'murricans, as they got the release three days ago. But EU release was today, and some people didn't even have a chance to play (or were in fact downloading) when the sale came up.

Normally, I consider pre-ordering (if there's any incentives like a discount or some other bonus, like a previous game in the series, some extra DLC or so) - it depends on how much I want to play a game: right now, or can I wait for a few months till it goes on sale?

However, if a game might by chance go on sale on or near its release date in my region, then I rather wait for the sales.

It's not exactly the first time it happened, either - Amazon.com put LEGO Lord of the Rings up for sale 75% off in the week after release, and the same for Scribblenauts, which then took three months for me to unlock on Steam, because the EU release was much later than in the U.S.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2013, 12:59:03 PM
Anyways, I've learned my lesson today. I will never, ever pre-order anything on Steam again, even if there's a pre-order discount; esp. if release might coincide with major sale. I will only buy games that are on sale from here on out. Unfortunately I've already pre-ordered EU4 and Rome2.
Same. They have forever lost me as a full price customer. I'll never order anything again that doesn't have at least a 50% discount.

Grey Fox

I'm happy to see that the full price suckers are always being reduced in numbers!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Cecil

Quote from: Solmyr on July 12, 2013, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2013, 07:20:01 AM
Brave New World is 33% off on Steam for the next 4 hours.

Wtf, they made it cheaper than for preordering?

Since I got it off GMG and had a 30% off coupon I still got it cheaper.  :P

Grey Fox

I played the demo. I like the trade routes addition. Not sure when I'll get it, I've barely even played with G&K.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on July 12, 2013, 01:14:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2013, 11:32:20 AM
I never understood the gripes about Civ V.  I think it's the best game of the series, and it's made even better with this expansion.

I've had Civ5 for a while, but only played a little. Probably just didn't put the time into the game. Lately I've been playing more and liking it a lot, especially the handling of combat and the much fewer combat units needed, no stacks. Speeds up the game, especially end game, since I'm not trying to move and manage all those units. In previous games end game can become not fun. I like the policy idea, and more. I think it's a very worthy successor to the ones that came before it.

Kronn, thanks for that, swinging me more to getting it now.   :)

Or should I wait for the 50% sale next month?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Korea

Just me or or are the Shoshone OP?
I want my mother fucking points!

Syt

So, as an apology for the release day sale, Steam does this:

It's nice that they want to do something, but a) I already have that game and all its expansions, and b) why would I want to go back to Civ4 when I play Civ5 - it's like giving you Rome: Total War, because there was a mess up with Rome 2. :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Quote from: Korea on July 12, 2013, 05:52:47 PM

In the one game that I'm still playing they've consistently been in the top two or three throughout the game. Having a sample size of only one isn't that scientific though :P

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

I've only had one game and Venice died a quick death at the hands of Boudica. Them puppeting other cities doesn't help much if their capital is exposed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I started a normal sized game with random Civ - America. I was able to expand rather quickly on my landmass, and I have something like 8 or 9 goldmines which pour gold into my coffers (and naturally I founded a religion with gold idols).
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

What determines how the great wall works now? Mine is still expanding.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Does anyone use trade for anything other than stuffing their citizens with food?

Korea

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 13, 2013, 11:50:54 AM
Quote from: Korea on July 12, 2013, 05:52:47 PM

In the one game that I'm still playing they've consistently been in the top two or three throughout the game. Having a sample size of only one isn't that scientific though :P

Played a few games with my boyfriend as Shoshone (haven't had time to complete any though. we're just really trying out all the new fatures) and he has been at the top every single time. It's perfect for his play style (ICS). I think I'd still have a chance to kick his ass if they hadn't nerfed France so much. I'm currently trying Morroco. I do like the massive amounts of gold I can potentially make and maybe I have a chance at beating him if I can just buy all the things I want. Although, he is a Jew so this should really be how he plays. :P
I want my mother fucking points!