News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2013, 07:50:42 PM
Is there an easy way to find archaeological artifacts (or any resource, for that matter)?  Surely turning on resource icons and scanning the map manually can't be the best solution?

What's wrong with resource icons? I always have them on.

Darth Wagtaros

There should be an event for a global pandemic, and model its progress based on shipping routes, borders, etc.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 15, 2013, 07:42:42 AM
There should be an event for a global pandemic, and model its progress based on shipping routes, borders, etc.

CtP1 had that - you could release biological agents and they would propagate along trade routes (though it was very slow to do so).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Come come, Mr. Bond, you enjoy moving at a snail's pace just as much as I do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on July 15, 2013, 05:23:34 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2013, 07:50:42 PM
Is there an easy way to find archaeological artifacts (or any resource, for that matter)?  Surely turning on resource icons and scanning the map manually can't be the best solution?

What's wrong with resource icons? I always have them on.
Way too many of them.  Almost every hex has a resource of some kind.

KRonn

If I get the latest expansion, does that include the previous expansion? I wouldn't think it does, but I like aspects of what I see in both expacs, so I'll have to buy each one. I'm a little late to the Civ 5 gaming, doing some catching up with the game. Really been liking it.   

In my current Vanilla version game, playing as China, three or four civs declare war on me periodically. They lose, with me staying on defense, and they sue for peace and give me stuff. Especially since my tech is just a bit ahead of most civs I can hold my own. But I'm on a couple of continents so have to split my forces, which has caused me to build more units than I would have, in order to have enough to defend myself.

Grey Fox

Yes & no. It includes the game play improvement but not the playable civilizations.

Most of what G&K change was adding religion. Religion is in BNW.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2013, 10:36:09 AM
Yes & no. It includes the game play improvement but not the playable civilizations.

Most of what G&K change was adding religion. Religion is in BNW.

Thanks. I'll check out the new civs in each expansion and decide, or if G&K is now cheap enough I can get it first.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 02:55:23 PM
What difficulty level do you guys play?

6, but about  to move up to 7. The two basic problems I usually have is the early game headshot when a warlike civ manages to build 20 units and comes at me before I can develop a tactical defense. The second basic problem is the reneissance tech rush that techleaders often get. Suddenly they show up with artillery and great war infantry and mosh my musketmen and crossbowmen without much effort. Numbers don't seem to matter in that case.

My most recent game as india was peaceful despite  bordering attilla. I got the population growth wonders and religion so my cities were twice as big as his so he obviously chickened out and attacked somebodyelse.... repeatedly.. with mixed results.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Hmm, the option to liberate extinct Civs is kinda strange. Do they just have the tech they had when extinguished? After facing down an expansive Japan (who ate up the Celts and Dutch), I decided to release Amsterdam back to the Dutch.  To keep them in my orbit, I also setup a defensive pact with them. I'm glad I did as turns out they have renaissance tech (actually when released they were medieval but first notice when I got told them had made it to renaissance) while the other civs and I are in modern tech.

Kinda seems to lessen the utility of bringing a civ back as a thorn in the side of others.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I seem to recall hearing something about PBEM Civ V being on the horizon. Is that true?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

Sounds terrible. Civ has way too many turns to be played by e-mail.

DGuller

I decided to give Venice a try.  I figured that a civilization that is designed to be played as a one city challenge would be fun, especially with having many more trade routes to juice up the cities.

Turns out it's not fun.  At all.  The problem with being unable to build your own cities is that for most of the game, there is plenty of unsettled land around you, so barbarians constantly pop up and lay waste to your trade routes.  I gave up around the time of Renaissance, without ever getting into any wars.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on July 15, 2013, 03:37:02 PM
I seem to recall hearing something about PBEM Civ V being on the horizon. Is that true?

Yeah it's called Pitboss mode:

QuoteCivilization V patch adding Pitboss mode
by Alice O'Connor, Jul 02, 2013 6:00am PDT