Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on August 22, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 21, 2013, 03:51:18 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 20, 2013, 12:29:01 PM
I'm playing BNW and had upgraded first with Gods and Kings then with BNW. I think I'm missing some Civs, like Korea which I don't see as an option. Just wondering if I'm missing something between the two updates?

I think I got all of the civs,because instead of getting the base game and then gods/kings, I bought the Game of the Year edition, that was a compilation of nearly all the then DLC and then I upgraded with gods/kings.

Smart move. I wish I had done that, but still there's so much game without the DLCs. I can download them later though.

Indeed, I've still not played half of the civs.

Which reminds me maybe i'll give it a spin latter and go for diplomatic or military victory ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2013, 01:42:03 PM

Indeed, I've still not played half of the civs.

Which reminds me maybe i'll give it a spin latter and go for diplomatic or military victory ?
So far I've been playing more to learn the game, and building up a successful nation is as much fun to me as trying to win. But I'm more likely to try for diplomatic or cultural than a military win. Seems a huge effort to try and take down all other civs!

Grey Fox

G&K will be 75% off at Greenmangaming.com tomorrow (Saturday 21st).

There's also this code : GMG25-J4B0D-FLH8M
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Winkelried

Question for Viking (who seems to be the uncrowned king of Civ V around here) and others who have experience using mods:
What are the must-have mods for BNW? I'm playing my first serious game but it's unmodded. In my experience mods usually imporve the gaming experience a great deal. Suggestions would be appreciated.

frunk

I think the Really Advanced Setup and City Limits mods are must haves.  Perfect World is nice for a slightly more realistic looking world, and I like Civ V Improvements Patch and New Bonus and Luxury Resources.

I haven't tried out any of the more radical reshapings of the game.

Viking

Quote from: Winkelried on October 09, 2013, 08:15:38 AM
Question for Viking (who seems to be the uncrowned king of Civ V around here) and others who have experience using mods:
What are the must-have mods for BNW? I'm playing my first serious game but it's unmodded. In my experience mods usually imporve the gaming experience a great deal. Suggestions would be appreciated.

eh? uncrowned king?

I have stopped using smaller mods. The reason is that each of them merely opens up an opportunity for player exploit and makes the game less challenging.

I suggest any graphics mods you like that alter UI. I like the one that adds information to the city info bar on the main map (specifically the city focus).

I've tried Call to Power and Communitas and, they are good for diversion and are sufficiently play tested for balance to exist. I am waiting on BNW, which I hope will finally work properly. Their happiness system is much more interesting than vanilla.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

frunk

In general I'm not impressed by the way difficulty scales in the game.  It is primarily about the increased pressure on your resources (happiness above all).  Once those are overcome it doesn't matter the difficulty level it'll probably play out about the same.  I really wish they made the AI more aggressive and pushed for harder deals with the player on the higher levels.  I haven't found a mod that changed that.

So for mods I generally look for what is interesting and raise the difficulty if it makes it easier to play.

DGuller

Talk about a close call:

Signing a truce with a civilization that's one spaceship component away from victory is not smart, even if that civilization is left with one crappy city.  :blush:

mongers

Just started playing this with the Anno Domini mod that has recently been updated for BNW; a rather nicely flavoured game now.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"