News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

Quote from: DGuller on July 13, 2013, 12:45:38 PM
Does anyone use trade for anything other than stuffing their citizens with food?

Yes, I am playing as Morocco now and I use it to make many many gold coins.
I want my mother fucking points!

FunkMonk

Yes, after my current France game I want to try a Morocco one. I think I'll reroll until I land a good desert location with hills, pick up Desert Folklore and Petra, and then buy everything I can't kill with my Holy Warriors.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on July 13, 2013, 12:45:38 PM
Does anyone use trade for anything other than stuffing their citizens with food?
You can make massive amounts of gold from trade early. Later you can use it to increase your influence with city states and to get a bonus on tourism against other civs. So yes, I use it for other things.

I played a game with Japan on the fourth difficulty level, going for cultural victory. I got basically all the big museums etc (Louvre, Broadway) and easily won a cultural victory around 1960. It's a good new mechanic for the period between renaissance and modern age when you collect all the things you need to fill your museums.

Do you guys use land-based trade? My sea trade seems to be much more profitable to the point that I never use land-based trade if I have a harbor...

FunkMonk

I've been using caravans mainly because I'm playing a Pangaea map and most of my trade routes run through Paris and Orleans which have a ton of gold, incense, cotton, and citrus. I started in the near the middle of the continent so I didn't grab a port until recently.

That said, I'm getting between +6 and +16 gold per turn from each of these five routes. I'm curious to know what amounts of gold people are getting from sea trade.

Also, the World Congress is really cool. I just got a resolution passed that placed an embargo on Casimir. He's 140-odd points ahead of me at the top of the score board and was raking in like 77 gold per turn. Now that he can't establish trade routes he's down to 27. Fuck you you Polish fuck.  :menace: :menace: :menace:

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 13, 2013, 03:27:39 PM
Do you guys use land-based trade? My sea trade seems to be much more profitable to the point that I never use land-based trade if I have a harbor...
Not unless I really need to feed some inland city.  Sea trade is much more effective, which really makes coastal nations powerful (as it should).

DGuller

I really feel like such an asshole when some city revolts away from oppressors to join my empire, and I raze it to the ground.  :blush:

garbon

Minor thing, but I kinda like the art deco look of the interface in BNW. :blush:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 13, 2013, 04:06:03 PM
I really feel like such an asshole when some city revolts away from oppressors to join my empire, and I raze it to the ground.  :blush:

That's just your soviet upbringing acting out.  You can't help but go all Warsaw uprising on someone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 13, 2013, 03:42:15 PMThat said, I'm getting between +6 and +16 gold per turn from each of these five routes. I'm curious to know what amounts of gold people are getting from sea trade.

I got 27-32 gold per route from sea trade in the late game. But even earlier it was always more profitable than land-based trade.

Korea

Really fucking hate the barbarian spawn rate in BNW. I can't focus on the liberty tree and improving my civ because I have to spend so much time destroying barbarians for the first 100 turns. It's just annoying.
I want my mother fucking points!

Syt

Yay - made it to 1888, when I ran into a repeatable crash. Turns out there's an issue with archeologists.  <_<

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12599496&posted=1#post12599496

Apparently, there can be issues when digging up something that doesn't belong to anyone, esp. when playing as America/Washington.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Korea on July 14, 2013, 12:59:54 AM
Really fucking hate the barbarian spawn rate in BNW. I can't focus on the liberty tree and improving my civ because I have to spend so much time destroying barbarians for the first 100 turns. It's just annoying.

It caught me by surprise in my first couple of test games. I actually like it. I usually never bothered hunting down barbarian camps and only built a skeletal early game army but now I'm finding it pretty fun to build up raiding parties and go barb hunting. I'm curious to see what Raging Barbarians plays like now.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2013, 12:32:49 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 13, 2013, 03:42:15 PMThat said, I'm getting between +6 and +16 gold per turn from each of these five routes. I'm curious to know what amounts of gold people are getting from sea trade.

I got 27-32 gold per route from sea trade in the late game. But even earlier it was always more profitable than land-based trade.

Ooh nice. I think I'll try that out.

Viking

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 14, 2013, 07:13:27 AM
Quote from: Korea on July 14, 2013, 12:59:54 AM

It caught me by surprise in my first couple of test games. I actually like it. I usually never bothered hunting down barbarian camps and only built a skeletal early game army but now I'm finding it pretty fun to build up raiding parties and go barb hunting. I'm curious to see what Raging Barbarians plays like now.

I always play raging barbarians. The game isn't fun unless at some point in the game all your improvements are razed and the only units you have surviving are hiding inside your one or two remaining cities.

Edit: this sometimes causes me not to improve the land until I can defend it from barbarians.... or repair that gold mine, sell the gold for cash up front, see it burn in a barbarian raid, rinse repeat
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2013, 06:49:22 AM
Yay - made it to 1888, when I ran into a repeatable crash. Turns out there's an issue with archeologists.  <_<

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12599496&posted=1#post12599496

Apparently, there can be issues when digging up something that doesn't belong to anyone, esp. when playing as America/Washington.

Hmm...does that mean I cancel the dig and stop that? I got a repeatable crash too. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.