And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on May 17, 2013, 07:43:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 17, 2013, 07:32:46 AM
Fuck'em. If run-of-the-mill-slavs Polacks can pose as a unique civ, Hungary should, too.

meh, Polaks are just Hungarians with Winged Hussars. So, yeah, Poland yes, Magyars no. You already have "The Huns".

Besides, Hungarians are already represented as Austria and Turkey.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2013, 07:46:06 AM
I'm guessing one of them is going to be Ukraine. Cossacks!

Could be. Other plausible theories are Venice or Sicily/Naples (as a nod to non-Roman Italy).

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 07:48:06 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 17, 2013, 07:43:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 17, 2013, 07:32:46 AM
Fuck'em. If run-of-the-mill-slavs Polacks can pose as a unique civ, Hungary should, too.

meh, Polaks are just Hungarians with Winged Hussars. So, yeah, Poland yes, Magyars no. You already have "The Huns".

Besides, Hungarians are already represented as Austria and Turkey.

:lol: asshole. It's not like Poland is not in as Germany, Russia, and Austria. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 07:49:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2013, 07:46:06 AM
I'm guessing one of them is going to be Ukraine. Cossacks!

Could be. Other plausible theories are Venice or Sicily/Naples (as a nod to non-Roman Italy).

Yeah, I was thinking it could be nice to have a less "ancient" Italian civ.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

However, apparently Ragusa has been spotted as a city state in one of today's previews, which puts a significant damper on Venetian theory (as Ragusa probably would have been on their city list).

Martinus

Looks like the two new social policy trees are geared towards cultural victory:

Exploration:
Unlocks in the Classical Era.
Opener: +1 movement and +1 sight to Naval Units. Unlocks building the Louvre.
Maritime Infrastructure: +3 Production in all Coastal Cities.
Merchant Navy: +1 gold for each Lighthouse, Harbor and Seaport. Requires Maritime Infrastructure.
Naval Tradition: +1 happiness for each Lighthouse, Harbor and Seaport.
Treasure Fleets: +4 gold from all your Sea Trade Routes. Requires Merchant Navy.
Navigation School: Free Great Admiral. +2 Movement for all Great Admirals. Earn Great Admirals 25% faster. Requires Naval Tradition.
Finisher: Show hidden Antiquity Sites. Purchase Great Admirals with Faith in the Industrial Era.

Aesthetics:
Unlocks in the Medieval Era.
Opener: 25% faster production of Great Artists, Musicians and Writers. Allows building of the Effizi Gallery.
Fine Arts: 50% of excess happiness is added to culture.
Artistic Genius: A free Great Artist appears. Requires Fine Arts.
Cultural Centers: Monuments, Amphitheaters, Opera Houses, Museums and Broadcast Towers are built 50% faster.
Flourishing of the Arts: 33% culture in cities with a WW. Starts a Golden Age. Requires Fine Arts and Cultural Centers.
Ethics: -10% culture costs for policies. Requires FotA.
Finisher: Doubles the theming bonus you receive from Museums and World Wonders. Allows purchasing GWAMs with Faith in the Industrial Era.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 08:41:40 AM
However, apparently Ragusa has been spotted as a city state in one of today's previews, which puts a significant damper on Venetian theory (as Ragusa probably would have been on their city list).

Does it? Ragusa was only under Venetian sovereignty for a century or so.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

And city states in the two new videos exclude some civs that some people thought to see (I love how this is played as a huge game of cluedo by all the nerds):

Cahokia
Buenos Aires
Antwerp
Brussels
Cape Town
Lhasa
Milan
Panama City
Ragusa
Hong Kong
Yerevan
Monaco
Sydney
Zanzibar
Hanoi
Kabul
Sidon

Guess this means no Vietnam either.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on May 17, 2013, 08:50:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 08:41:40 AM

Does it? Ragusa was only under Venetian sovereignty for a century or so.

But without cities like this, their city list would be very short, no?

PDH

They could just borrow names from other Civs.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: PDH on May 17, 2013, 09:23:40 AM
They could just borrow names from other Civs.

Do what the venetians did, use greek and ottoman city names. :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Looks like Bucharest was not spotted after all so Romania is not out.

Syt

They should add Serbia. Their special ability is to clear their cities of foreign influence, at the loss of population. Special unit: tracksuit brigade.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2013, 10:05:13 AM
They should add Serbia. Their special ability is to clear their cities of foreign influence, at the loss of population. Special unit: tracksuit brigade.

Serbia

Field of Blackbirds: Does not suffer from occupation penalty. These lands were originally Serbian.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

They should add Romania. Their special ability would be Trianon QQ - if they border Austria or Turkey, 10% of Austrian or Turkish populace becomes unhappy.