News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Anyone else try the Smoky Skys scenario that came in God and Kings?

Steampunk inspired...looks pretty cool, would maybe make a good MP scenario.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on April 03, 2013, 01:55:38 PM

Had a quick try, seemed quite promising.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on April 03, 2013, 01:55:38 PM

I like it. Air ships are cool.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Warspite

I bought Civ V, at last, the other day. Good fun, but i'm still wrapping my head around the no-stacks system and cities always being defended. Every war now turns into the Battle of Stalingrad, it seems.

Turns out also that my girlfriend is a life-long Civ fan. That I did not see coming.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on April 04, 2013, 09:45:24 AM
I bought Civ V, at last, the other day. Good fun, but i'm still wrapping my head around the no-stacks system and cities always being defended. Every war now turns into the Battle of Stalingrad, it seems.

Turns out also that my girlfriend is a life-long Civ fan. That I did not see coming.

Quick, marry her, before she gets away.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Warspite on April 04, 2013, 09:45:24 AM
That depends a lot on the time period.  It's Stalingrad in the early phase, where you need to attack the cities in human waves to take it, and casualties are inevitable.  In the later phase, once you have artillery and battleships with a fire range of 3, the process of taking cities can become very mechanical (especially if you level up your arty to where it can fire twice per turn).

Grey Fox

Just play the Hun, Battlerams ftw.

Martinus

I usually play defensive, tall empires, aiming at cultural or scientific (or, more rarely, diplomatic) victory.

To me wonders are primarily great person machines and only secondarily built for their other benefits. This means that when I try for scientific victory, I build mainly great scientist wonders; when I try for diplomatic victory, I build mainly great merchant wonders; and when I try for cultural victory I build all wonders (this is because they all give culture and later on with Freedom this bonus is increased) but prioritize great artist and great engineer ones (for more wonders).

My favourite civ for science victory is Babylon; for cultural victory I usually pick Byzantium (but it's heavily reliant on beelining for religion and choosing the cultural and/or production bonuses), Egypt (wonder building bonus) or Austria (special ability means you do not need to expand or build units, just diplo-marry city states and get their units). Besides Greece (which has a direct bonus to relationship with City States) and Siam(bonus for resources from city states), I like England (more spies = more election rigging), Netherlands, Carthage and Arabia (each get more cash) for diplomatic victory.

When it comes to social policies, I always open with Tradition, as it works for any non-militaristic, tall empire. Then I follow with: 

- for Cultural victory: Piety -> Freedom (and fill up with two others, for the victory requirement - usually it's Commerce and Patronage, as they are most generally useful, and Rationalism is mutually exclusive with Piety; but sometimes, if I am facing invaders I may choose Honor);

- for Science victory: I try to time it so I do not lose any advancements before Renaissance (if I have to spend them, I usually go with Commerce); then go Rationalism -> Order

- for Diplo victory: Commerce and Patronage (and avoid taking Freedom/Order/Authoritarism, as this will make other civs who choose differently dislike you).

Berkut

Huh, that is kind of cool seeing how you work that Marty.

I approach the game in a completely different manner.

I don't play at all with an eye towards "I want to see if I can win via this mechanism, and will choose accordingly..."

I mostly pick what I think is an interesting civ that has some kind of cool mechanic going, and then see how it develops.

"Winning" for me is really just a way to provide me with a direction to play, rather than a goal per se.

You seem to approach the game from a stance of "Here is how I want to win, so I will make these choices" while I go from a "I want to make these choices, how can I win with them?"

I don't win very often, tbh. :)

0 rows returned

Viking

I play random civs on random maps of random size. Then I try to win any way I can.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 04, 2013, 11:33:10 AM
Huh, that is kind of cool seeing how you work that Marty.

I approach the game in a completely different manner.

I don't play at all with an eye towards "I want to see if I can win via this mechanism, and will choose accordingly..."

I mostly pick what I think is an interesting civ that has some kind of cool mechanic going, and then see how it develops.

"Winning" for me is really just a way to provide me with a direction to play, rather than a goal per se.

You seem to approach the game from a stance of "Here is how I want to win, so I will make these choices" while I go from a "I want to make these choices, how can I win with them?"

I don't win very often, tbh. :)

I'm more OCD I guess. :)

What difficulty level do you play on usually, by the way? For me it's either Warlord or Prince (so not very high) but I win pretty much every time.

Grey Fox

Mart's way of playing the game is what is plastered all over every guide or forums on Civ V.

First you pick which type of victory you want to achieve than you plan your civ accordingly.

It's impossible to start a game & halfway thru to decide, "I'm going cultural victory" & actually win that game. Atleast, highly unlikely. Especially if you went wide.

Marty, have you ever tried a one city challenge?

Berkut

I always play on King. Prince is too easy.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

On 5? I'm impressed.

I play on 4, 3 when I want to win.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 04, 2013, 11:43:15 AM
Mart's way of playing the game is what is plastered all over every guide or forums on Civ V.

First you pick which type of victory you want to achieve than you plan your civ accordingly.

It's impossible to start a game & halfway thru to decide, "I'm going cultural victory" & actually win that game. Atleast, highly unlikely. Especially if you went wide.

Marty, have you ever tried a one city challenge?

Yeah, OCC is my usual style. Even without OCC I usually go no more than 2-3 extra cities.

By the way, what map size and speed do you guys play? I usually play on Tiny/Quick.