Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 12, 2013, 09:08:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2013, 08:42:45 AM
:hmm:

Given that they are adding Brazil, seems a little odd for Portugal to have a monarch who reigned with a regent in exile in Brazil...

Well, as always they are desperate for some sort of gender diversity, so as with most female monarchs, their choices are quite questionable historically.

Only Catherine and Elisabeth are really solid choices - every other female leader could be easily replaced by several much more deserving male leaders.

Fair enough though yeah seems a bit ridiculous given that we know that women leaders were (let alone great ones) few and far between. (/Civ 4 wasn't really as concerned with gender)

Btw, that split of Christianity also seems odd. They aren't splitting any other religions are they?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

In the current expension, I don't get Religion. In my last game I didn't get to found a religion so I accumulated faith without ever being able to spend it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2013, 09:35:38 AM
In the current expension, I don't get Religion. In my last game I didn't get to found a religion so I accumulated faith without ever being able to spend it.
You can generate certain great people depending on your policy trees.  I particularly like to spam great scientists with my extra faith near the end of the game, if I need a tech boost.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2013, 09:42:48 AM
You can generate certain great people depending on your policy trees.  I particularly like to spam great scientists with my extra faith near the end of the game, if I need a tech boost.

I couldn't find where to buy those Great People?

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2013, 09:54:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2013, 09:42:48 AM

I couldn't find where to buy those Great People?
Buy them like any other unit.  Surely you know how to buy a missionary, right? :unsure:

Grey Fox

Yeah, iirc. I remember the tutorial & everything.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2013, 09:29:28 AM
Btw, that split of Christianity also seems odd. They aren't splitting any other religions are they?

That's mainly because so many Civs have Christianity as their preferred religion.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Meh I thought this was the new one that is supposed to be broadcasted today - this one is nearly week old.  :P

Martinus

Indonesia and Morocco are two new civs and there is a ton of new info in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6LHvaiTIc

So only two civs left, one of which is supposed to be European (but is not Belgium, Italy, Hungary, Romania, Switzerland or Bulgaria  :hmm: )

Edit: before someone asks, the exclusion list is based on two theories (which have so far been confirmed in each case), i.e. that civ-specific achievements are listed alphabetically and city states spotted in the BNW previews rule out some civs.

The current list of civs/achievements alphabetically is:

Assyria
Brasil
Indonesia
Morocco
Poland
Portugal
UNKNOWN
UNKNOWN
Zulus

So everything but Switzerland and Romania is ruled out - and these are ruled out because Geneva and Bucharest are still city states.

Tamas

Fuck'em. If run-of-the-mill-slavs Polacks can pose as a unique civ, Hungary should, too.

Martinus

They expressly said that Portugal, Poland, Brasil and Indonesia are in because of the huge fan base demand - so I guess Hungarian fans were too shitty. :D

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on May 17, 2013, 07:32:46 AM
Fuck'em. If run-of-the-mill-slavs Polacks can pose as a unique civ, Hungary should, too.

meh, Polaks are just Hungarians with Winged Hussars. So, yeah, Poland yes, Magyars no. You already have "The Huns".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Syt

I'm guessing one of them is going to be Ukraine. Cossacks!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.