News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

To unwind after a long day at work, I played Greece on standard archipelago map last night, on Emperor difficulty.  I didn't plan on playing a one-city challenge, but the starting place forced me to live just with Athens for a long time, so I went all-in on tall.  Eventually I built Sparta on a pretty sweet island.  Those two highly developed cities and plenty of city-state allies were enough to keep me near the front until the end stage of the game, where civs with multiple cities started really taking off with their numerical advantage.

The Dutch were in front, and started building spaceship parts.  I was already preparing a naval force to take them on before they got close to finishing, but I got the UN first, and was able to maintain enough of my city-state alliances to get the diplomatic victory.

crazy canuck

I always go for the long game.  Some of the games never get finished but thats ok.  With this game it is the journey not the destination.

Viking

I usually build up a strike force of about 6-10 units with 2-4 ranged units and 3-5 meleé units and a scout/cav or two. When this force is available and my cities are garrisoned with one unit each I declare war. Watch as the enemy army is destroyed crossing the border and once they stop attacking in force I move my strike force in to take city by city. Once I get the ranged units up to the +1 range promotion then I stop having to cycle them in and out of the siege and beeline up to two shots and way way way up the upgrade tree.

At that point it is only a matter of time before I win everything. It seems that the game in general is poor at preparing for defense. As long as you are starting the wars then you will win them, the AI will certainly be underprepared. Watch the demographics list over military sizes and make sure you are above average in army size and this will work wonders. Note, the un-upgraded warrior you have as a garrison in a city safe in your heartland counts for the same in terms of army size as the death robot in the end game - and consequently - deters the ai an equal amount.

Another way of avoiding getting DOWs is to maintain a substantial cash reserve. The AI counts the units you can rush build as part of your existing army. Keeping it in cash saves on maintenance expenses.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2013, 12:18:40 PM
I always go for the long game.  Some of the games never get finished but thats ok.  With this game it is the journey not the destination.

Yes, I'm with you and Berkut, I just play and find out things as I go along.

Don't set out with a predefined goal and knowing what are the best combinations to use.   

A lot of the flavour of the gaming experience comes from the 'history' made within your particular game.

My current game, playing Darius, I'm trying to be peaceable, but the 2nd time my weaker American neighbours attacked I determined to revenge myself. 
First time around they'd settled peace by giving me Boston, so they only had two cities, taking down Washingon with my army wasn't too difficult. And I went on to eliminate them, taking their last city, New York, which I razed as it was too near my existing cities.  :blush:

That just left me with Belgium, their still fighting ally, so I took the mobile army down south and due to difficulty of access, they're protected by northern mountains and limited border frontage, I made a real pigs ear of it and lost 3-5 units in the assault, half of my army. So I had to give up and concluded peace with them.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

New info:

- Zululand with Shaka in
- Portugal with Maria I the Mad in (UI feitoria lets you get part of resources from a nearby city state; UU nau - a caravel with coastal raider improvements)
- New set of tourism-generating buildings (e.g. hotel, airport etc.; airport allows airlifts as well)
- Great Artist's special ability stays the same (starts golden age) but can also create Great Work of Art
- Great Musician's special ability is "concert tour" which is a tourism bomb deployed against another civ, but can also create Great Work of Music
- Great Writer's special ability is "political treatise" which works like a Scientist SA, only with culture instead of beakers, but can also create Great Work of Literature
- You win cultural victory if your culture becomes "popular" (through tourism) in each other civ; open borders, shared religions, and trade routes each add 25% to mutual tourism generation between two civs
- French UA changed - City of Light - extra bonuses for great works stored at the capital
- You can capture great works from foreign civs when you conquer their cities (think France - build musketeers and foreign legions, loot foreign cities for great works of art, bring to Paris, win culturally  :menace: )
- Christianity now replaced with Catholicism, Orthodox and Protestantism for more flavor
- Piety and Rationalism no longer mutually exclusive
- Piety finisher gives you special additional power to choose from for your religion (represents "Reformation" of that particular faith)
- Culture now purely works as a defence system against foreign "tourism" and as currency to buy policies
- Authority, Order and Freedom no longer social policies but much more robust, mutually exclusive ideology trees, with tenets to choose from (sorta like Religions in that you cannot choose all) that become available in Industrial era
- (Unconfirmed) but it seems Tourism rather than Culture is used to purchase Ideology tenets
- If your Tourism dominates another civ and they have a different Ideology than you, their people will rebel until they build more culture or switch to your Ideology (anarchy follows)

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 12, 2013, 07:51:48 AM- You can capture great works from foreign civs when you conquer their cities (think France - build musketeers and foreign legions, loot foreign cities for great works of art, bring to Paris, win culturally  :menace: )

I hope they add Herman Göring to the Great Generals list for that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote- Piety and Rationalism no longer mutually exclusive

:bleeding:

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2013, 08:33:43 AM
Quote- Piety and Rationalism no longer mutually exclusive

:bleeding:

Jesuit takeover!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

:hmm:

Given that they are adding Brazil, seems a little odd for Portugal to have a monarch who reigned with a regent in exile in Brazil...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I don't think I like this expansion as of this moment. There, I said it.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2013, 08:44:22 AM
I don't think I like this expansion as of this moment. There, I said it.

Wow, you really like to complain. I fucking love the new features.

Viking

I wonder, if I automate workers will they use airports to move between continents?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

A couple of screenshots revealing interesting stuff about World Congress mechanics

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2013, 08:42:45 AM
:hmm:

Given that they are adding Brazil, seems a little odd for Portugal to have a monarch who reigned with a regent in exile in Brazil...

Well, as always they are desperate for some sort of gender diversity, so as with most female monarchs, their choices are quite questionable historically.

Only Catherine and Elisabeth are really solid choices - every other female leader could be easily replaced by several much more deserving male leaders.