U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes

Started by PRC, January 18, 2010, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2010, 08:04:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 18, 2010, 06:25:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2010, 06:23:29 PM
If a QB playing college football can get away with plastering this sort of thing across the bottom of his eyes so that the tv cameras have to pick up the reference, I am not really sure what the big deal is here. :P
Tebow would freak Europeans out.  ;)
I'm shocked that none of those asshole militant atheist groups like ACLU went after Florida over him.

God showing disfavour by making him lose was enough.

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 19, 2010, 10:02:33 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2010, 08:04:42 PM
I'm shocked that none of those asshole militant atheist groups like ACLU went after Florida over him.
Cause the ACLU is not an atheist organization.
Tebow is just exercising his constitutionally protected rights, which is what the ACLU is there to defend.
Of course it is.  Berkut defends the ACLU, therefore it is atheist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

LOL Slargos I feel your pain. The Malthus wall of non-understanding was pretty amusing to watch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2010, 11:48:39 AM
Also would they really be offended by us blaspheming our own scriptures?  If we were putting Islamic stuff on the guns I can see that but since when do Muslims get offended by Christian stuff?

I doubt they would be offended by the blasphemy of it all. More likely they would point to it as "proof" that our armies are really there as Christian "Crusaders".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 19, 2010, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2010, 11:41:39 AM
Perhaps, but our efforts in places like Afganistan where we have to rely in part on Muslims (who may be only slighly less religious that the ones fighting us and so may be offended by this sort of thing) are not made easier by such stuff. I admit that to my mind this is a nothing-of-a-nothing, just typical fundie foolishness - but our enemies are likely to use it as propaganda against us with our "friends". 

Sorta reminisent of the events leading up to the great Indian mutiny, where it was alleged that the sepoy's cartridges were smeared with the fat of pigs and cows.

It's just an excuse, and they've never had any shortages of those.  If it's not the letters and numbers after the serial number on a sight, it'll be some other silly bullshit thing.

Edit:  What Berkut said.

I certainly sympathize with this POV. I merely point out that folks get riled up over symbolism and so, to the extent it can do us harm, feeding them ammunition isn't a particularly good idea. It isn't like we are going to compromise our own values by *not* having semi-secret religious codes on our military hardware. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2010, 12:30:42 PM
LOL Slargos I feel your pain. The Malthus wall of non-understanding was pretty amusing to watch.

It's easy to amuse a Swede. Just leave him alone with an immigrant ... or some livestock.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2010, 02:08:33 PM

It's easy to amuse a Swede. Just leave him alone with an immigrant ... or some livestock.

But please dont leave them along with both. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2010, 02:09:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2010, 02:08:33 PM

But please dont leave them along with both.

With a tent and some tickets, they could have a show running in no time!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2010, 02:06:51 PM
I certainly sympathize with this POV. I merely point out that folks get riled up over symbolism and so, to the extent it can do us harm, feeding them ammunition isn't a particularly good idea. It isn't like we are going to compromise our own values by *not* having semi-secret religious codes on our military hardware.

On the contrary, to the extent that these scopes are being purchased as part of federal procurement program, it is inconsistent with American values.

Although really the people who should be most offended by this are serious, practicing Christians.  One does not need to be a very sophisticated reader of the NT to grasp that Jesus might not be thrilled with the idea of his message being used as a good luck charm on a sniper scope.  Unfortunately, the trend in America appears to be favoring the rise of Christianized neo-paganism, where crude superstitions and magical beliefs are touched over with a patina of Christian jargon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 19, 2010, 02:17:54 PM
On the contrary, to the extent that these scopes are being purchased as part of federal procurement program, it is inconsistent with American values.

Although really the people who should be most offended by this are serious, practicing Christians.  One does not need to be a very sophisticated reader of the NT to grasp that Jesus might not be thrilled with the idea of his message being used as a good luck charm on a sniper scope.  Unfortunately, the trend in America appears to be favoring the rise of Christianized neo-paganism, where crude superstitions and magical beliefs are touched over with a patina of Christian jargon.

Would it be excessively snarky of me to note that something like 90% of so-called "Christians" throughout history fall into that category?  :D

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2010, 02:29:49 PM
Would it be excessively snarky of me to note that something like 90% of so-called "Christians" throughout history fall into that category?  :D
90% might even be a little low.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 19, 2010, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2010, 02:06:51 PM

WWJD: .30-06
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

I was about to post the same thing but deleted the text before posting because I realized I would have been excessively snarky. 

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2010, 03:01:48 PM

I was about to post the same thing but deleted the text before posting because I realized I would have been excessively snarky. 

That is kind of snarky.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 19, 2010, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2010, 03:01:48 PM

That is kind of snarky.

But not excessively so.