News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How your income stacks up

Started by Monoriu, December 29, 2009, 10:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on December 31, 2009, 02:38:51 PM
Spoken from someone who actually went ahead and PROCREATED with his shikse plaything, that's rich.  :P

Non-Nazis have a slightly different definition of "loathesome". Most of us don't have the instinctual revulsion towards 'race-mixing'.  ;)

QuoteThough I don't really consider my sexual antics loathesome.

Of course *you* don't.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on December 31, 2009, 09:48:37 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 31, 2009, 08:31:21 AM25 times should last forever in most cases, because there will be interest and dividend income, and capital appreciation.  You take away 4%, the rest of the portfolio (96%) is still working for you for next year and beyond.  The number is arrived by testing hypothetical portfolios against past data.  It should survive even if it met Great Depression level recessions.  But past data is no gurantee of the future, so there is never 100% gurantee.
So you leave the principal untouched? What's the point, especially if you don't have children?  :hmm:

The principal will most likely be used at some point.  Whether it will be used (and by how much) is really up to market conditions.  It is there because I don't know how long I'll live.  The principal needs to be large enough so that it can recover even if, say, it hit 07-09 conditions. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on December 31, 2009, 01:20:22 PM
This thread sure took a turn for the strange.  :lol:

Yeah.  Who'd have guessed the subject of Pat's...discussions from the OP.  This is odd even by languish standards  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 31, 2009, 02:08:14 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 31, 2009, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2009, 08:47:21 PM
You were on to something with admissions for children of the rich.  A scandalous percentage of students at top universities are "legacies" i.e. children of alumni.  It's not too much of a leap to think that donations to the schools factor into that.

And as he said, only those who can afford it go to the top schools, i.e. those with wealthy parents. Those who can't afford it, don't bother to even apply. So it's not merit-based at all; it's financially based.

I'm not at all familiar with US law schools, but from my US collegues I get the impression that the tuition is high but financing is relatively easy to get, and there are grants available. In short, the financial barrier, while it exists, is not insurmountable, but that other than the super-rich and connected, you need very good grades and LSAT scores to get into a top school (the "merit" barrier is higher).

Exactly,

Anyone can get into a free school.  You have to have actual merit to get into a demanding school.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on December 31, 2009, 07:59:06 PM
What's a free school?

Then one Pat goes to.  Apparently education in his part of the country costs nothing and everyone has merit.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 31, 2009, 08:03:53 PM
What's a free school?

Then one Pat goes to.  Apparently education in his part of the country costs nothing and everyone has merit.

I see.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

What's a free school?

Even rapists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

What's a free school?

:huh:

It's been a while since we started funding swedish schools with tax money rather than tuition fees.

But yes, rapists do get favoured treatment in admission, since it's been decided that too few of our new countrymen get higher education and we need diversity in the educational system.

I guess in that sense, Miglia pulled a Dorsey.

merithyn

Found out last night that my brother just took a new job - making 30% more than his already substantial salary of $250,000/year. His comment when I said good job was, "Yeah, but it just means I'm less in debt, so it's not like it's real actual money." :blink:

The man will be making $325,000/year, and that's his complaint?? Easy answer: stop spending so much damn money if it's putting you in debt! :frusty:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2010, 08:31:32 AM
Found out last night that my brother just took a new job - making 30% more than his already substantial salary of $250,000/year. His comment when I said good job was, "Yeah, but it just means I'm less in debt, so it's not like it's real actual money." :blink:

The man will be making $325,000/year, and that's his complaint?? Easy answer: stop spending so much damn money if it's putting you in debt! :frusty:

lolz

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

He probably said that just because he knew it would exasperate you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2010, 08:31:32 AM

I always say I'm in debt to friends and relatives when the topic of my income comes up - that's an indirect way of telling them they shouldn't be asking for handouts. :P

merithyn

Given that they own two brand new, $35k+ vehicles, live in an exclusive neighborhood, and just put in a pool and deck, I don't doubt for a second that they're in debt up their their eyeballs. I just can't believe that he'd do that to himself.

Quote from: Martinus on January 01, 2010, 08:58:59 AM
I always say I'm in debt to friends and relatives when the topic of my income comes up - that's an indirect way of telling them they shouldn't be asking for handouts. :P

My brother still owes me $2500 from when he got a divorce... 10 years ago. Anything he gave me wouldn't be a handout. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

Is a $35k+ vehicle something special? You make it sound like it is.