News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How your income stacks up

Started by Monoriu, December 29, 2009, 10:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

A car that hasn't been owned before is something special.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on January 01, 2010, 09:49:17 AM
Is a $35k+ vehicle something special? You make it sound like it is.

Spending $70,000 on vehicles for two people is a lot, especially if you're crying poor at a quarter mil a year. (And I actually think his big car, the Chrysler Aspen, was closer to $45k with all of the bells and whistles he added.)

I just can't imagine going into debt like that when making nearly $20,000/month.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

Yeah.  $35k can't buy a basic Honda Accord here. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on January 01, 2010, 10:28:58 AM

Yeah.  $35k can't buy a basic Honda Accord here.
$35k will get you a sweet ride.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

I see your point but 35 is about where the luxury vehicles start kicking in which is probably why Meri picked that number.  But I would be very suprised if someone earning over 300 a year didnt drive at least that.

Monoriu

I don't have anything to disprove Meri's assertion that her brother spends much more than he earns.  But I think "he drives 2 35k cars" is not a good piece of evidence to support that assertion.  Spending 70k on cars should be within his means. 

"He buys a 35k car every 6 months" would be excessive, for example.

Zanza

Luxury vehicle must mean something different in North America than it means in Europe. Nothing that is classified as luxury vehicle here is selling anywhere near $35k. Not even twice that.

And spending twice your monthly income on a car does not seem outragously much to me. I think most people would spend relatively more on a car than that. Especially middle class people.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on January 01, 2010, 11:47:33 AM
Luxury vehicle must mean something different in North America than it means in Europe. Nothing that is classified as luxury vehicle here is selling anywhere near $35k. Not even twice that.

And spending twice your monthly income on a car does not seem outragously much to me. I think most people would spend relatively more on a car than that. Especially middle class people.

I think Mercedez E class goes for about US$100k here.  And our roads are packed full of them. 

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2010, 09:24:36 AM
My brother still owes me $2500 from when he got a divorce... 10 years ago. Anything he gave me wouldn't be a handout. :P

That would make me genuinely angry, has he pretended to forget that he owes you that (to him) minor sum?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2010, 12:11:21 PM
My brother still owes me $2500 from when he got a divorce... 10 years ago. Anything he gave me wouldn't be a handout. :P

That would make me genuinely angry, has he pretended to forget that he owes you that (to him) minor sum?

Family members always think that debts don't matter. Which is why I get it in writing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 12:15:24 PM

Family members always think that debts don't matter. Which is why I get it in writing.

With the defaulters I insist that future money provided is a gift rather than a "loan"...............that way at least one can pose as a Germanic Chieftain type rather than a naive moron easily parted from his money  :huh:

There is actually only one defaulter, and for a paltry sum, but it doesn't half piss me off  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 12:15:24 PM

I pretty much assume any family loan (read: loan to my brother) is going to not be paid back.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

BuddhaRhubarb

My income doesn't "stack up" it lies flat.
:p

Ed Anger

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 01, 2010, 01:31:10 PM

That is the problem with Canadian money.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 02:33:35 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 01, 2010, 01:31:10 PM

That is the problem with Canadian money.

That joke would have been funny in 1995.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.