News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How your income stacks up

Started by Monoriu, December 29, 2009, 10:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Pat on December 31, 2009, 11:32:37 AMI know it's not, but did you really want a detailed description?

Good point.  I didn't.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2009, 08:47:21 PM
You were on to something with admissions for children of the rich.  A scandalous percentage of students at top universities are "legacies" i.e. children of alumni.  It's not too much of a leap to think that donations to the schools factor into that.

And as he said, only those who can afford it go to the top schools, i.e. those with wealthy parents. Those who can't afford it, don't bother to even apply. So it's not merit-based at all; it's financially based.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on December 31, 2009, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2009, 08:47:21 PM
You were on to something with admissions for children of the rich.  A scandalous percentage of students at top universities are "legacies" i.e. children of alumni.  It's not too much of a leap to think that donations to the schools factor into that.

And as he said, only those who can afford it go to the top schools, i.e. those with wealthy parents. Those who can't afford it, don't bother to even apply. So it's not merit-based at all; it's financially based.

I'm not at all familiar with US law schools, but from my US collegues I get the impression that the tuition is high but financing is relatively easy to get, and there are grants available. In short, the financial barrier, while it exists, is not insurmountable, but that other than the super-rich and connected, you need very good grades and LSAT scores to get into a top school (the "merit" barrier is higher).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

@ Meri :huh: That's an exaggeration.  Princesca was like one step above living in a mobile home park and she went to Wellesley, and all of the workstudies I had a Harvard that I can recall came from modest backgrounds.  Yes, legacy admission is a real thing, and yes it's motivated primarily by alumni giving, but it's not *everyone* who attends.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Fuck lawyers. Scum of the earth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Pat on December 31, 2009, 11:30:58 AM
Well it's not something I'm proud of. Still not entirely sure of her status, those are only my suspicions, and at any rate I didn't develop those suspicions until later. It is not true to describe it as "knowingly". And anyway she didn't seem to mind the whole thing; quite the opposite. I'll admit this is hard to know for sure, especially as she didn't speak english. My friend was able to get some communication going and was told most their clients were arabs.

Story gets better and better.  :lol:

"I didn't know I was raping her, since I didn't speak her language."

In all fairness though, if she was used to being raped by arabs, you were probably Prince Charming in comparison.  :lol:

ulmont

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on December 31, 2009, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 31, 2009, 02:10:15 PM

:showoff:

Hitler had it wrong. It wasn't the jews that was the problem, it was the lawyers he should have went after.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on December 31, 2009, 02:08:14 PM
@ Meri :huh: That's an exaggeration.  Princesca was like one step above living in a mobile home park and she went to Wellesley, and all of the workstudies I had a Harvard that I can recall came from modest backgrounds.  Yes, legacy admission is a real thing, and yes it's motivated primarily by alumni giving, but it's not *everyone* who attends.

It is, of course, possible to go to those schools with a lower income, but it's much more likely that you'll do so if your parents, or you, have money. The rest will "settle" for state schools because cost is a major factor beyond tuition, books, and housing. (Consider the additional costs for a kid from Des Moines going to MIT versus UIUC, i.e travel expenses, cost of living changes, etc.) Luckily, most state schools are wonderful bastions of education, i.e. U of Iowa Writing Program and U of Illinois Engineering School.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 31, 2009, 02:16:53 PM

Hitler had it wrong. It wasn't the jews that was the problem, it was the lawyers he should have went after.

He just wanted to make sure he got them all and it's much easier to spot them by their crooked noses than an easily forged diploma.  :P

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 31, 2009, 02:16:53 PM

Wouldn't have made for such a great movie with Lancaster, Schell, Tracy, Dietrich and Widmark, then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on December 31, 2009, 02:12:54 PM

In all fairness though, if she was used to being raped by arabs, you were probably Prince Charming in comparison.  :lol:

You are just delighted to have, at long last, found someone whose sexual antics are even more loathesome than your own.  :D

Yet another Swede I might add ...  :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on December 31, 2009, 02:32:43 PM
Quote from: Slargos on December 31, 2009, 02:12:54 PM

You are just delighted to have, at long last, found someone whose sexual antics are even more loathesome than your own.  :D

Yet another Swede I might add ...  :hmm:

Spoken from someone who actually went ahead and PROCREATED with his shikse plaything, that's rich.  :P

Though I don't really consider my sexual antics loathesome. I'm always a generous and considerate lover to a fault.  :P

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: merithyn on December 31, 2009, 01:50:01 PM

Most of the top students at my hich school applied to elite private schools, regardless of wealth, as you never know what financial aid packages will be offered.  Some poorer students were given very generous ones, others were not. 

Most of these elite schools have enormous endowments and have a large percentage of students on financial aid.