Main Menu

How your income stacks up

Started by Monoriu, December 29, 2009, 10:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 02:46:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 02:33:35 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 01, 2010, 01:31:10 PM
My income doesn't "stack up" it lies flat.

That is the problem with Canadian money.

That joke would have been funny in 1995.

Loonies. Still funny.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2010, 12:11:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2010, 09:24:36 AM
My brother still owes me $2500 from when he got a divorce... 10 years ago. Anything he gave me wouldn't be a handout. :P

That would make me genuinely angry, has he pretended to forget that he owes you that (to him) minor sum?

I stopped worrying about it a while ago. I figure it's a gift at this point.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 12:15:24 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2010, 12:11:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2010, 09:24:36 AM
My brother still owes me $2500 from when he got a divorce... 10 years ago. Anything he gave me wouldn't be a handout. :P

That would make me genuinely angry, has he pretended to forget that he owes you that (to him) minor sum?

Family members always think that debts don't matter. Which is why I get it in writing.

I should have thought of that. <_<  My little brother owes me a grand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 02:57:29 PM

Loonies. Still funny.

No, what's funny is the collapsing value of the greenback. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

One problem is that many people today don't have any idea how to live within their means and save a reasonable percentage of their income.  That, coupled with unrealistic ideas about how they "should" be living, creates a financial nightmare for many. 

Perhaps there ought to be a small course on financial literacy taught in high schools, or even in undergrad.

Monoriu

Never lend money to family, friends, colleagues, or in fact any individual.  Only lend to governments and banks.

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 01, 2010, 09:45:22 PM
One problem is that many people today don't have any idea how to live within their means and save a reasonable percentage of their income.  That, coupled with unrealistic ideas about how they "should" be living, creates a financial nightmare for many. 

Perhaps there ought to be a small course on financial literacy taught in high schools, or even in undergrad.

I had my first dollar when I reached 18.  It worked wonders.  The belief that no one will come to my rescue if I screw up financially is a very strong incentive to be conservative. 

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2010, 02:57:29 PM

Loonies. Still funny.

and the Toonie (the $2) twice as funny . I'm still honked off that we didn't call that one a Doubloon :angry:
:p

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 01, 2010, 10:30:10 PM
Never lend money to family, friends, colleagues, or in fact any individual.  Only lend to governments and banks.

:yes:  And, I would add, never borrow from such sources either.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 01, 2010, 11:34:29 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 01, 2010, 10:30:10 PM

:yes:  And, I would add, never borrow from such sources either.

yep/ I've been on the wrong end of both those situations, and it kinda sucks alll round actually.
:p

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2010, 10:23:37 AM
Spending $70,000 on vehicles for two people is a lot, especially if you're crying poor at a quarter mil a year. (And I actually think his big car, the Chrysler Aspen, was closer to $45k with all of the bells and whistles he added.)

I just can't imagine going into debt like that when making nearly $20,000/month.
Somebody who would spend $45K on a Chrysler is not only stupid but also mentally ill.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Family members always think that debts don't matter. Which is why I get it in writing don't do family loans, ever.
FYP.  My sister in law has repeatedly tried to hit us up, but I think by now she's learned better, as we know damn well she'd never pay anything back, ever...

...and to provide another example of how family will always fuck you over, she "rents" her house from her dad, who had to harass her for almost a year before she made a single rent payment.  Princesca and I laughed and knew that would happen the second she moved in.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I'm a generous man. :goodboy:

And no, I won't loan anybody on languish money. I'm generous, not stupid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Family members always think that debts don't matter. Which is why I get it in writing.
My dad always told me that I should never 'loan' money to a family member because chances are I won't get it back and if I do it could damage the relationship.  Either give it to them or don't.  If they pay back it's a bonus.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2010, 09:59:45 AM
My dad always told me that I should never 'loan' money to a family member because chances are I won't get it back and if I do it could damage the relationship.  Either give it to them or don't.  If they pay back it's a bonus.

My dad had even better advice.  Don't lend family money.

I took the hint :contract: