No change soon on `don't ask, don't tell'

Started by garbon, March 29, 2009, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 08:37:27 AM
Here's a Huntington's map of civilizations. Poland and Hungary are in the Western one.  :bowler:

Ok how is Latin America not Western?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on March 31, 2009, 08:35:00 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 08:34:01 AM
I'm white and I want Marti's rights taken away. Just Marti's.

I can support this.

Let us jam the vote through and celebrate with a pancake dinner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Here's a Huntington's map of civilizations. Poland and Hungary are in the Western one.  :bowler:

So is Papua New Guinea.

Faeelin

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2009, 08:46:26 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on March 31, 2009, 08:43:32 AM
What a stupid map. How are Chile and Argentina less Western than Romania?

Pssst, on that map Romania isn't Western...

Pff. I don't think I can be bothered to look overly closely at where the arbitrary eastern european line has been drawn.

Eochaid

Quote from: Faeelin on March 31, 2009, 09:15:05 AMPff. I don't think I can be bothered to look overly closely at where the arbitrary eastern european line has been drawn.

"I disagree with what that map shows and will therefore totally ignore it"

QuoteThe definition, nomenclature, and even the number of civilizations are somewhat ambiguous in Huntington's works. Civilizations may consist of states and social groups (such as ethnic and religious minorities). Predominant religion seems to be the main criterion of his classification, but in some cases geographical proximity and linguistic similarity are important as well. Using various studies of history, Huntington divided the world into the "major" civilizations in his thesis as such:

* Western civilization, centered on Australasia, Northern America, and Europe (excluding most of Eastern Europe and the Balkans. Huntington also includes the rest of Oceania. Whether Latin America and the former member states of the Soviet Union are included, or are instead their own separate civilizations, will be an important future consideration for those regions, according to Huntington.
          o Latin America. Includes Central America (excluding Belize), South America (excluding the Guianas), Cuba, the Dominican Republic, and Mexico. May be considered a part of Western civilization, though it has slightly distinct social and political structures from Europe and Northern America. Many people of the Southern Cone, however, regard themselves as full members of the Western civilization.

Kevin
It's been a while

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 08:56:12 AM
Jam and pancakes for everyone!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2009, 09:29:00 AM

Except for Marti. Flamboyant homos not allowed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Eochaid on March 31, 2009, 08:17:55 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 07:10:09 AMI'm a little offended at you trying to define what 'most Western people' might think.  Remember, you are not Western.

Actually, he is.

Even Huntington says so :D

Kevin
Poland was in the Warsaw Pact.  It is thus not part of the West.  It is, by right, Russian.  Its people are Russians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Eochaid on March 31, 2009, 09:22:29 AM
"I disagree with what that map shows and will therefore totally ignore it"
To be fair, that's no worse a position than "I agree with what the map shows, and therefore it is authoritive".
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eochaid

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 09:56:22 AMTo be fair, that's no worse a position than "I agree with what the map shows, and therefore it is authoritive".

I don't actually agree with Huntington.

It's just that Huntington can hardly be called a euroweenie or a commie-lover, so I just took him as an example.

Kevin
It's been a while

garbon

We're now in the 21st century. Outmoded much?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Huntington seems to be a retard. Correct?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 31, 2009, 09:02:38 AM

So is Papua New Guinea.

Papua New Guinea is more Western than Poland.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2009, 08:54:06 AM

Ok how is Latin America not Western?
One word: katmai.

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 09:31:11 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2009, 09:29:00 AM

Except for Marti. Flamboyant homos not allowed.
I'm not flamboyant. I'm exuberant.