No change soon on `don't ask, don't tell'

Started by garbon, March 29, 2009, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2009, 03:39:46 AM
I think we should actually demand that we get the third bathroom, just for gays.

Think about it - it would be clean like your typical chick bathroom, and have no queues, like your typical guy bathroom. Plus we could make the stalls bigger and install slings.

Chick bathrooms can get hairy.  Also I'm not convinced that gays would be much cleaner.  Visits to gay venues don't seem to bear that out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2009, 09:30:52 AM
Chick bathrooms can get hairy.  Also I'm not convinced that gays would be much cleaner.  Visits to gay venues don't seem to bear that out.

You dare to question the superiority of the gay race?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Visits to gay venues don't seem to bear that out.

Always with the gay puns.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

I think we should actually demand that we get the third bathroom, just for gays.

Think about it - it would be clean like your typical chick bathroom, and have no queues, like your typical guy bathroom. Plus we could make the stalls bigger and install slings.

Well it doesn't have to mean anything - after all, night club toilets are notoriously dirty, full of puke and bodies of ODed addicts. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
Well it doesn't have to mean anything - after all, night club toilets are notoriously dirty, full of puke and bodies of ODed addicts. :P

Night clubs/bars aren't the only gay venues. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2009, 09:47:59 AM

Well, I'd never imagined you frequenting other gay venues. What were they? GLBT Youth Centres? :P

Eochaid

I agree that this issue should be addressed during BO's term, but I'd hardly make it a top priority :)

Kevin
It's been a while

BuddhaRhubarb

:yes:
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2009, 10:28:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2009, 09:47:59 AM

Well, I'd never imagined you frequenting other gay venues. What were they? GLBT Youth Centres? :P

garbo lives in SF, I'm sure he can go to a "gay" (insert any kind of place anybody uses for anything here) any time he wishes to do so. No?

edit : I hate the new quoting thing. It defaults the cursor to the middle of people's quotes instead of after.
:p

Sheilbh

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 30, 2009, 12:16:41 PM

My God you've no idea.  The number of times I've had to buy Mr. Muscle shower plug declogger because the girls won't clear their hair out of the way :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

QuoteFrom a purely financial perspective (which I am sure you had only in mind here, no homophobia to rationalize away with this crock of shit), the costs increase would be negligible. The percentage of gays in the military is probably low enough, that even if all of them suddenly found "same-sex spouses", this would not affect it in any perceptible way.
And if the "percentage of gays in the military is probably low enough", is it worth it to create the inevitable brouhaha right now that everybody would seize to focus on instead of these financial and foreign troubles? Political capital would be lost for perhaps expanded healthcare in return for an attempt at a repeal of don't ask don't tell.
Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2009, 05:10:15 AMThe cost savings in not losing highly trained personnel (whose replacements you have to recruit, train, and then carry until they have the requisite experience) would vastly putweigh any costs of providing for spouses, as the experience of other militaries that have taken this step has shown.

Even if there were no justice arguments involved, the finncial arguments would still favor repeal.
Link about cost of gay families?

I am just wary about an institution that fails to properly process and take care of its vets and injured can at this time also rush into integrating gays and eventually their spouses into the whole system.

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 30, 2009, 12:18:10 PM
garbo lives in SF, I'm sure he can go to a "gay" (insert any kind of place anybody uses for anything here) any time he wishes to do so. No?

Martinus

I admit that the only Asians I have ever spoken to on a non-professional basis are Philip V, Admiral Yi and Mono. Both Philip V and Admiral Yi have made an argument that we should not give equal rights to gays not because it is immoral or whatever but because "it would cost money" - an argument most Western people would find deeply unethical. Mono is, well, Mono.

Are there any Asians out there who are not disgusting pennypinchers?

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 01:37:59 AM
I admit that the only Asians I have ever spoken to on a non-professional basis are Philip V, Admiral Yi and Mono. Both Philip V and Admiral Yi have made an argument that we should not give equal rights to gays not because it is immoral or whatever but because "it would cost money" - an argument most Western people would find deeply unethical. Mono is, well, Mono.

I just commonly see that the people who oppose giving more money to the military are the same ones that may be wanting to implement something that will increase costs. Confusing.

A lot of Americans are against universal healthcare because of the cost, though many believe that access should be had for all.

If everything was done along ideological lines, hell would break loose. We must be pragmatic. If repealing the ban is feasible and does not jeopardize higher priorities, then do it.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 01:37:59 AM

Hey, I'm on your side in this argument  <_<