No change soon on `don't ask, don't tell'

Started by garbon, March 29, 2009, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 09:31:11 AM

Except for Marti. Flamboyant homos not allowed.
I'm not flamboyant. I'm exuberant.

Okay. We know you own a pair of assless chaps.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 06:02:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 09:31:11 AM

Except for Marti. Flamboyant homos not allowed.
I'm not flamboyant. I'm exuberant.

Okay. We know you own a pair of assless chaps.
No I don't. :o

Anyway, I guess people who met me in person could answer it the best: am I flamboyant?  :blush:

Ed Anger

Okay. Change "Flamboyant" to "JESUS H. CHRIST, HE WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THE GAY".

Better?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2009, 06:08:48 PM
Okay. Change "Flamboyant" to "JESUS H. CHRIST, HE WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THE GAY".

Better?
:P Touche.

Neil

Better?
Gay Mishka.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eochaid

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2009, 02:03:26 PM
We're now in the 21st century. Outmoded much?

The Bush administration was a BIG fan of Huntington. His theory was already widely discussed in Academic circles in the 90s', but 9/11 brought it to the attention of the wider public.

I don't agree with his theory, but it doesn't mean it is without merits.

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 06:05:23 PMAnyway, I guess people who met me in person could answer it the best: am I flamboyant?  :blush:

I haven't seen you in four years, but back then you were very calm and subdued

Kevin
It's been a while

HVC

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 06:56:22 PM

Better?
Gay Mishka.
Lol. Very apt
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Eochaid on March 31, 2009, 07:18:29 PM
The Bush administration was a BIG fan of Huntington. His theory was already widely discussed in Academic circles in the 90s', but 9/11 brought it to the attention of the wider public.

I thought we were supposed to think the Bush administration was backwards?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eochaid

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2009, 10:41:58 PMI thought we were supposed to think the Bush administration was backwards?

The theory in itself has some value, it's the way the Bush administration used it to justify stupid shit like invading Iraq that's stupid.

Kevin
It's been a while

Solmyr

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 01, 2009, 03:56:34 AM
I like how Bosnia is "Orthodox".

Culturally it is.  Of course if Bosnia is "Orthodox" so should Albania.  But for some reason the Albanians are more like the Egyptians than their neighbors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Eochaid on April 01, 2009, 03:49:10 AM
The theory in itself has some value, it's the way the Bush administration used it to justify stupid shit like invading Iraq that's stupid.

Kevin

Can you describe what is valuable?

MadImmortalMan

http://www.rollcall.com/news/34244-1.html

Frank: Democrats Punting on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Until 2010
By Jennifer Bendery
Roll Call Staff
April 23, 2009, 6:25 p.m.

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said Thursday that Democratic leaders won't push to repeal the controversial "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy governing gay service in the military until 2010.

"I believe we should and will do 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' next year," said Frank, a co-chairman of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Equality Caucus. "We haven't done the preliminary work, the preparatory work. It would be a mistake to bring it up without a lot of lobbying and a lot of conversation."

Frank, who is one of three openly gay House Members, said Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) "always has been" in support of waiting to move the issue next year. He said Democratic leaders will likely push a free-standing bill in early 2010.

"We don't even know the votes in committee, let alone the votes on the floor. ... So I think the prediction it will not happen in calendar year 2009 is probably accurate," said Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), who is also openly gay and a co-chairwoman of the LGBT Caucus.

News of the delay comes as one advocacy group, the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, is launching "a major offensive" next week to urge President Barack Obama to immediately repeal the 1993 policy, according to an e-mail sent Thursday by the group.

"The logical place and time for presidential leadership on this issue is next month, when President Obama sends his defense budget to Congress. President Obama should cut 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' from his budget. It costs money to fire and replace discharged service members," the e-mail states.

SLDN advocates warn that if Obama doesn't use the defense budget to repeal the policy, "he will be effectively approving — on his watch — the firing of gays and lesbians from the military. 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' will then become his law, his albatross."

But Frank said repealing the policy — which prevents gays from openly serving in the military — by attaching an amendment to the defense budget "doesn't make sense," even though it is procedurally possible to take that approach.

That approach is being put forward by people "who don't understand the best way to get it done," Frank said. "People have to understand the political pressures."

While it may have made sense in the past to try to repeal the policy in the defense budget since former President George W. Bush would have vetoed a free-standing bill, Frank said that tack doesn't make sense now since Obama supports a repeal.

"People think because they know the rules, that somehow you gain some advantage from it. ... But we all know the rules; the question is when to do it. The key issues are not procedural, it's political," said the Massachusetts Democrat.

Frank's advice to proponents of the repeal is to lobby House Members and Senators to get behind it, "so that when we bring it up next year, we'll have the votes."

It needs "more lobbying". Either that means he doesn't think they have the votes in committee (as he's suggesting from the way this is worded), or he wants more time to milk it for donations and junkets. His banking supporters are all dried up now, after all. I'm not sure which I believe.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers