News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 24, 2009, 03:55:33 PM
Okay, I haven't played the Mothership Zeta thing yet, but I've been wandering around Point Lookout, messing around with some side-quests.  Also need to discover a couple more locations to unlock the achievement.

Anywho, They seem to have put a lot into the Point Lookout map, but the main quest line for the DLC only scratches the surface.  They need to do another DLC that uses the same map. 

Also, although the map is pretty solid, I think they tried to cover too much in it.  I love the Ocean City-type boardwalk, and all the coastal stuff (wrecked ships, lighthouse, etc.) are cool.  But the bayou-type swamps with deep-south inbred rednecks seem a bit out of place.  Maryland has rednecks in that area, for sure, but they're not swamp folk.
What shocked me was the resilience of these denizens to bullets.  Even with FWE weapons (which are about 4 times as strong as vanilla weapons) you could empty a clip of AK-47 ammo into these dudes at near-point-blank range, every bullet hitting, and they would still be coming at you.  I had to go back and armor up, and bring out my .44 magnum.  THAT would stop them in 3-4 shots to the head (or one critical hit).

The swamps actually remind me a fair amount of the swamp area in The Witcher.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Looks like Target has the 360 & PS3 versions of the GOTY edition for $39.99 this week. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 01:21:31 PM
What shocked me was the resilience of these denizens to bullets.  Even with FWE weapons (which are about 4 times as strong as vanilla weapons) you could empty a clip of AK-47 ammo into these dudes at near-point-blank range, every bullet hitting, and they would still be coming at you.  I had to go back and armor up, and bring out my .44 magnum.  THAT would stop them in 3-4 shots to the head (or one critical hit).

I had fun pelting them with long range heavy weapons, and then the plasma rifle came in handy for medium/short range.  Lots of piles of glowing goo on my map now.  After finding some more ammo for the Alien Blaster, I started using that out of laziness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2009, 03:09:07 PM
I had fun pelting them with long range heavy weapons, and then the plasma rifle came in handy for medium/short range.  Lots of piles of glowing goo on my map now.  After finding some more ammo for the Alien Blaster, I started using that out of laziness.
Both HW and EW scores are ridiculously low for my level 6 character.  I suppose a minigun would work for my character even with low HW values, but the amount of ammo I would have to haul would mean I couldn't carry much loot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2009, 09:00:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2009, 03:09:07 PM
Both HW and EW scores are ridiculously low for my level 6 character.  I suppose a minigun would work for my character even with low HW values, but the amount of ammo I would have to haul would mean I couldn't carry much loot.

Ah, I take it your mod factors in ammo weight.  Always felt weird being able to carry 2000 rounds of minigun ammo in the 360 version, but I didn't complain :D

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2009, 03:27:13 PM
Ah, I take it your mod factors in ammo weight.  Always felt weird being able to carry 2000 rounds of minigun ammo in the 360 version, but I didn't complain :D
I had forgotten ammo was weightless in vanilla.  I just presume that was true in the PC version.  I do have vague recollections that drugs were all weightless.

My character in FO3 can carry 110 pounds of weight, all told.  If I carried nothing else, I could carry 2200 rounds of .44 ammo, or 5500 rounds of minigun ammo.

Bayraktar!

I Killed Kenny

I hate games were the ammo weights. I mean, sure it's not realistic, but it's much borring having to go back to the house to catch some ammo

C.C.R.

:shifty:

This game is the Bee's Knees...

grumbler

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on October 20, 2009, 09:16:55 PM
I hate games were the ammo weights. I mean, sure it's not realistic, but it's much borring having to go back to the house to catch some ammo
That depends.  If you don't choose exotic-ammo weapons, you just restock as you go along.  Ammo restrictions for me have always been numbers, not weight.

You are going to go back to the barn to unload loot, not because you have run out of ammo.

Bayraktar!

C.C.R.

OK, I've been dinking & dunking with this for about a week & this game ROCKS!  I'm a Mad Max/Road Warrior fan from waaaaay back in the day, so I'm a big fan of the post-apocalyptic setting, plus I'm a big Morrowind/Oblivion fan so I'm pretty comfortable with the RPG system that Bethesda has provided with this game.

Along with the Type 3 Body I'm also running FOOK2 (I was having some trouble getting FWE to install & finally hit a point where I said "Fuck it, I want to play!"), a few Type 3 clothing/armor mods & a mod that upgrades the PC Megaton house.  So far I've been ignoring the Main Quest (I know I need to talk to Moriarty, but I'm in no itchin' hurry) & just been exploring & doing side quests.  The last time that I played yesterday I *FINALLY* took a LMG in 5.56mm caliber off of a Talon Merc that I killed, which was nice -- I had a metric fuck-ton of 5.56 ammo, but all of the corresponding weapons that I had found up to that point were all assault rifles in POS condition.

My favorite weapons so far are of course shotguns for close work & scoped .308 rifles for precision distance work.  I like to take a couple/few head shots with a .308 in VATS, retreat behind cover & let my APs regenerate until the target comes around the corner & I finish them off up close with a shotgun, maybe laying a couple frag mines along the way if there's more than one of them.  Good Times...

Thank you again, Grumbler, for sending this my way.  I've been playing this first game as a Goody Two-Shoes in terms of Karma, but I can see where the replayability of this will be pretty good given the Alt Start mod...

:thumbsup:

grumbler

CCR, you should add bullet time to your mod list, and use that rather than VATS.  Makes it a whole different game.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Finally finished Broken Steel last night.  It was hard to finish.  Not because it was hard to play the game towards the end, but simply because it was hard to fight past the boredom to actually complete the last quest.  This was, in effect, Operation Anchorage in power armor:  fight 10 enclave soldiers to get to the part of the quest where you fight twenty, to get to the point where you fight thirty, etc.  I may go back for the side quests at some point, but for now I am just glad to be done with it.  I had hoped the final confrontation would occur in an interesting area, but, alas, Adams Air Force Base is boring and the "command crawler" or whatever it was called was not only boring, but the concept was stupid.  Why would anyone put a building on treads?  The scene where you watch it blow up was terribly executed - easily the most obviously phony thing in the game.

The only good thing in the game was that it forced me to use power armor and see how FWE and FOOK had un-nerfed PA.  The result is that no one not in PA can stand up to anyone that is in PA.  Going through the metro in a power suit is kinda funny - the feral ghouls can barely touch you, and you can take most out with a punch.  The downside to PA is that you are very slow in it, and it requires a lot of maintenance (one good shot to the PC's head will inflict little damage to the body, but will take off half the helmet's health)..

After finishing that, I went back to an earlier, lower-level character to do Mothership Zeta.  So far, this is much better and more interesting, though I expect that it will turn into a shooter at the end, as well.  Love the nod to Aliens.

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Third attempt at downloading FOOK.

Motherfucker stalls on me after about an hour of downloading at 200KB/s and forces me to start over.

I may end up hurting someone over this.

Son of a BITCH.

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on November 24, 2009, 04:32:24 PM

Motherfucker stalls on me after about an hour of downloading at 200KB/s and forces me to start over.

Son of a BITCH.
From whence are you downloading?  There is a fook web page that gives some mirrors, IIRC.  I didn't have a problem downloading FOOK2 recently.

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on November 24, 2009, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: Slargos on November 24, 2009, 04:32:24 PM

Son of a BITCH.
From whence are you downloading?  There is a fook web page that gives some mirrors, IIRC.  I didn't have a problem downloading FOOK2 recently.

I tried to get the mirror where it's split into several parts but that one needed a subscription. Looks like it's taking this time though. Knock on wood.

I picked up alt-start aswell. Aside from bullet time are there any other mods you'd suggest?