News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2009, 06:14:04 AM
Took the game for a test spin with my new LCD monitor, and was astonished - it looks completely differently (and infinitely better) than it did on my 21" CRT.  I didn't realize how washed-out all the colors were on that thing until I replaced it.  I was wondering why people kept "wow"-ing over high-setting FO3, but it turns out I just couldn't see the details!

Did your jaw hit the floor?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

I really want to give this another go with my new system, where I can crank everything up to max, but for some reason I just can't get into it again - I haven't even gotten out of the bunker thing you start in. Man, that was fun the first time, but is simply excruciating the second time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2009, 07:29:31 AM
I really want to give this another go with my new system, where I can crank everything up to max, but for some reason I just can't get into it again - I haven't even gotten out of the bunker thing you start in. Man, that was fun the first time, but is simply excruciating the second time.
Download the "AltStart Roleplayers" mod and you won't start in the Vault (and don't even have to execute the main quest or be a vault dweller).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Got the GOTY version, and also discovered that FOOK2 is out of beta, so I loaded that up as well (now running FWE, FOOK2, MMM, CALIBR, CRAFT, and Ling's all together, and it is surprisingly stable).  The new version of MMM has these night zombies that are dangerous as fuck - a good reason not to wander about at night until you are a high enough level to dealo with them.

I'd say the game was getting as close to "perfect" in terms of gameplay mods as we could ask for.  Just some balance tweaking.  What is needed is world space mods.  DCInteriors and FallIn are okay at adding interiors to buildings, but what is needed is quests and more wasteland.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

C.C.R.

With grumbler getting GOTY he is being gracious enough to send me his old copy of FO3, so while I am waiting I am in the process of DLing mods now to minimize waiting time when the game arrives.  There are people out there that firmly believe that games should be played through unmodded first in order to better appreciate that vanilla game, but being a veteran of Morrowind & Oblivion I'm just going to go ahead & say "Fuck you!" to those people & mod my game back to the Stone Age right out of the gate...

:P

That being said, are there any mod suggestions?  I've already DL'd the Type 3 body mod & the Ling's mods, plus I'm now actively looking  into the other stuff that grumbler mentions above ("FWE, FOOK2, MMM, CALIBR, CRAFT").  Anything else I should be looking for?

Ed Anger

Quote from: C.C.R. on October 16, 2009, 02:53:08 PM
With grumbler getting GOTY he is being gracious enough to send me his old copy of FO3, so while I am waiting I am in the process of DLing mods now to minimize waiting time when the game arrives.  There are people out there that firmly believe that games should be played through unmodded first in order to better appreciate that vanilla game, but being a veteran of Morrowind & Oblivion I'm just going to go ahead & say "Fuck you!" to those people & mod my game back to the Stone Age right out of the gate...

That being said, are there any mod suggestions?  I've already DL'd the Type 3 body mod & the Ling's mods, plus I'm now actively looking  into the other stuff that grumbler mentions above ("FWE, FOOK2, MMM, CALIBR, CRAFT").  Anything else I should be looking for?

The mod that makes the game more green. The wasteland is depressing as hell, and a little foliage helps.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

C.C.R.

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2009, 03:15:46 PM
The mod that makes the game more green. The wasteland is depressing as hell, and a little foliage helps.

Good deal -- I'll look into it.  Do you know offhand if it has an .esp and/or .esm or is it a straight texture replacer?

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on October 16, 2009, 02:53:08 PM

:lol:  There are 4.3 gigs of mods on the home-made disk that accompanies the FO3 disks, so you may find a lot of duplication with what you are downloading now.

Included are the "big 3" of MMM, FWE, and FOOK2.  They actually all work together pretty well, and work with Ling's Pretty Things/Finer Things (imo, the best mod of them all, because it individualizes the NPCs even more than LGNPCs did Morrowind's and adds all the clothing mods for Type 3/5 bodies) fairly well (some Raiders have two sets of armors, one from LPT and one from FOOK2).

FWE, Ling's, and FOOK2 all suffer from the dreaded level-up bug, though:  at some point, leveling-up always causes your game to freeze. The modders have narrowed it down to scripts, but haven't solved it yet.  I just install a little home-made mod that increases the cost to level to something like 1 million XP, and do manual updates after that.

I prefer, BTW, the Type 5 body to the T3, though they are pretty much interchangeable.  You should start with the T3, though.  T5 has carpet and you will need to get a little familiar with the file structure before you can figure out how to change the carpet to match the curtains.

I generally avoid the "let's add kittens to that depressing Wasteland" mods. It is SUPPOSED to be depressing!  :D

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: C.C.R. on October 16, 2009, 03:41:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2009, 03:15:46 PM

Good deal -- I'll look into it.  Do you know offhand if it has an .esp and/or .esm or is it a straight texture replacer?

Don't remember. Once I finished the game, I nuked it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

C.C.R.

Quote from: grumbler on October 16, 2009, 04:48:33 PM
  :lol:  There are 4.3 gigs of mods on the home-made disk that accompanies the FO3 disks, so you may find a lot of duplication with what you are downloading now.

Included are the "big 3" of MMM, FWE, and FOOK2.  They actually all work together pretty well, and work with Ling's Pretty Things/Finer Things (imo, the best mod of them all, because it individualizes the NPCs even more than LGNPCs did Morrowind's and adds all the clothing mods for Type 3/5 bodies) fairly well (some Raiders have two sets of armors, one from LPT and one from FOOK2).

FWE, Ling's, and FOOK2 all suffer from the dreaded level-up bug, though:  at some point, leveling-up always causes your game to freeze. The modders have narrowed it down to scripts, but haven't solved it yet.  I just install a little home-made mod that increases the cost to level to something like 1 million XP, and do manual updates after that.

I prefer, BTW, the Type 5 body to the T3, though they are pretty much interchangeable.  You should start with the T3, though.  T5 has carpet and you will need to get a little familiar with the file structure before you can figure out how to change the carpet to match the curtains.

I generally avoid the "let's add kittens to that depressing Wasteland" mods. It is SUPPOSED to be depressing!  :D

Excellent, Smithers...
:shifty:

I had seen the Type V body, but consciously wanted to roll with the Type 3 because of, well, bigger boobs...

:blush:

Barrister

Quote from: C.C.R. on October 16, 2009, 05:26:32 PM
Excellent, Smithers...
:shifty:

I had seen the Type V body, but consciously wanted to roll with the Type 3 because of, well, bigger boobs...

:thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on October 16, 2009, 05:26:32 PM

You will almost never see the boobs.  Go with the model with the ass you like best, since you will be staring at it in 3P view 99% of the time.  There are three T3 bodies, BTW, so there is choice within that group.  They actually fit the Lings system better, since some of the Lings clothing clips with the T5 body.

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Supposedly the new NVIDIA drivers have a 12% improvement in FPS at highest detail for F3.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Slargos

http://www.cdwow.com/games/PC/FALLOUT-3-GAME-OF-THE-YEAR-EDITION/dp/6070539

£25 + shipping for GOTY seems like a good deal. I'm considering picking it up.

Will there be any more expansions, do you know?

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on October 18, 2009, 02:34:33 PM
http://www.cdwow.com/games/PC/FALLOUT-3-GAME-OF-THE-YEAR-EDITION/dp/6070539

£25 + shipping for GOTY seems like a good deal. I'm considering picking it up.

Will there be any more expansions, do you know?
The current stance of BethSoft is that there will be no more expansions.  The mod community has already produced a few, though none are that terrific.  OTOH, it takes literally years of coordinated effort to make real expansions to the game, and the fans have done it for Morrowind and Oblivion, so I expect them to do the same here.  Hell, I have a mod in the works myself.

Bayraktar!