European: No
Asian: Yes
Asian: No
Other: Yes
Other: No

Cecil

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2009, 01:20:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2009, 12:45:33 PM
But hey, people prefer to take their sick days and stay home feeling bad.  Figures.
Nothing sucks worse than taking a sick day, and then feeling too poorly to enjoy it.  :(

I tend to remind myself of that when I wish I could get some sickdays. When I do get that sickness staying at home looking at the cracks in the roof isnt that great even if you do get to sleep in.

saskganesh

one to two weeks est. delivery to begin general vaccinations may now be "several weeks."

anyhow, the whole delivery system was flawed:

QuoteBefore the tragedies, no one had expected such large crowds to come out. Those who worked on Ontario's pandemic plan, which serves as a model for the rest of the country, had foreseen worst-case scenarios involving illness, not inoculations. Pandemic planners considered situations in which the entire health-care system would become overwhelmed with sick people, and how hospitals and clinics would cope with the workload.

But vaccines? They didn't see people rushing for those.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/h1n1-swine-flu/ottawa-got-last-minute-warning-of-shortfall-in-h1n1-vaccine/article1346246/

if Ontario's pandemic plan is a "model for the rest of the country", I would be concerned.

and they didn't "expect a rush", despite the urgings from politicians and health officials for everyone to get vaccinated.

humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

My youngest son is running a fever (not too high though)  and it looks like my wife (who never gets sick) is getting sick as well.

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on November 01, 2009, 10:34:10 AM
and they didn't "expect a rush", despite the urgings from politicians and health officials for everyone to get vaccinated.
Polls showed at most 50% of the population willing to get the vaccine.  In Quebec, that was 30%, before the hockey kid died :(
Now, the vaccination centers are overwhelmed, and the health dept had to restate the order of priority.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2009, 11:00:35 AM
My youngest son is running a fever (not too high though)  and it looks like my wife (who never gets sick) is getting sick as well.
that sucks :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

just remember kids, people in need didn't get their vaccine, because BB insisted that he get his first. :bowler:

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on November 01, 2009, 06:16:46 PM
just remember kids, people in need didn't get their vaccine, because BB insisted that he get his first. :bowler:

Remember kids - vaccines in the Yukon are not transferrable to other jurisdictions.  And Yukon has no shortages of vaccine.

Also remember - with a pregnant wife it was actually important for me to get the vaccine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 30, 2009, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2009, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2009, 08:44:27 AM
The implementation of the program here in Toronto has so far been craptastic.

My wife took Carl to get vaccinated; the wait was 6 hours, and she was lucky to get in at all.  :( There were only 2 clinics open - for a city of nearly 3 million people. 
That's impossible.  Michael Moore assured us that we did not wait at all for our health care.

he was mistaken. sometimes you have to wait... especially when people are all panicky. The news makes every clinic look like it's populated by the parents from a South Park or Simpsons cartoon.

patience is a virtue.
Indeed.  I'm planning to get vaccinated some time in 2016.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

I'm still Flu free even tho I took the Subway twice & went to the Bell Centre this weekend!

Will I still be : Wednesday?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alexandru H.

It reached my home town today. It is said that 0,01% of all infected people will die.  :cry: It's a tragedy!

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2009, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on November 01, 2009, 06:16:46 PM

Remember kids - vaccines in the Yukon are not transferrable to other jurisdictions.  And Yukon has no shortages of vaccine.

Also remember - with a pregnant wife it was actually important for me to get the vaccine.

"now you are just making excuses"

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on October 27, 2009, 08:02:42 AM
As far as I know, I'm not in the at-risk group that needs the shot per se, and as such I don't see a huge reason to get the shot.

What would push me over into the yes camp is the consideration I need to take in relation to my nieces.

I really don't know, but I am not worried.

What are the risk groups for this one? Are they substantially different from the normal one?

For the record I am getting my seasonal flu vaccine on Wednesday. As for the swine flu, they will be introduced in Poland in a few weeks when the Polish government is happy side effects are not worse than the flu itself (not sure if this means Polish government is so incompetent or so reasonable).

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2009, 01:02:47 PM
What are the risk groups for this one? Are they substantially different from the normal one?

The risk groups are pretty much the same as the usual flu.  They are risk groups because they have somewhat weakened immune systems.

Thee risk groups are:

-children
-pregnant women
-older people
-people with otherwise weakened immune systems or respiratory problems
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on October 27, 2009, 08:06:39 PM
those older than 24 without an underlying concern are at greatest risk,
you are younger than 24? :blink:

Martinus

Quote from: Drakken on October 29, 2009, 09:20:56 AM
Still, console yourself by knowin his immune system has been propped with the h1n1 anticorps by the vaccine, even after a few days though not long enough to prevent the infection. So his body is better prepared to fight it.
Err, doesn't it mean that his body is actually fighting off the weakened flu from the vaccine and possibly a second flu he also caught, thus is less rather than more prepared?

There is a reason why people who are suffering from flu or even common cold shouldn't be vaccinated before they recover, you know.